PDA

View Full Version : French Quarter or Coronado?

SassyMadhatter
01-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Stayed at Pop last October for my first Mother/Daughter trip with my 14 year old...and while it was very awesome,cause we got a great room center court close to everything and a great view...it was our second time there(first was with my husband too). We would like to try a moderate resort next...The two that catch my eye is the French Quarter and The Coronado Springs. I would love an opinion on either...we want to spend some extra time there this time around to enjoy the resort itself...hence going moderate that is more laid out...:mickey:

faline
01-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Both are very nice choices and I'd have a hard time picking between them.

Port Orleans French Quarter is very quaint and not very spread out at all. You have the added bonus of the boat to Downtown Disney.

Coronado Springs is rather spread out though the scenery is lovely. This moderate has more of the feel of a deluxe due to the additional amenities found here.

KarenP
01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
You have chosen my 2 favorite moderate resorts, and I would have a really hard time choosing. Maybe look at pictures and go with which resort's theme appeals more to you.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-15-2012, 06:34 PM
We have stayed at the Coronado Springs and it was lovely. The biggest complaint I guess I have is it is a hike to get to the food court and gift shops depending where your room is. Bus stops are spread out around the resort so that's not so bad. Never stayed at POFQ but would love to, I like that it is compact in size and you can't go wrong with a New Orleans theme and the boats a bonus. Have fun deciding.

chick20679
01-15-2012, 06:38 PM
I haven't stayed at Coronado, but POFQ is really lovely. By far our favorite - we've stayed there multiple times. One of the many things we like about it is how non-spread-out it is. None of the buildings are very far from the food court, bus stop, boat to DTD or the pool area. It's beautifully themed... we love it!

ginny57
01-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Wow....tough call...I love them both. Decide if you prefer:

large - deluxe like amenities - non traditional food court - southwest theme

or

small - walking distance to sister resort POR - boat ride to DTD - New Orleans theme

You really can't go wrong.

Dopey's Girl
01-15-2012, 08:43 PM
French Quarter hands down. Loved it there. It was so charming and calm. Plus the boat to Downtown Disney is so much fun.

Coronado was beautiful, but just not my style. I really did not like the set up of Pepper Market. I felt like we really overpaid for what amounts to a food court. Don't get me wrong, the food was good, but having to tip someone for getting me my drink (and never coming back to refill it) and getting my own food just wasn't my thing.

Good luck deciding!

big blue and hairy
01-15-2012, 08:52 PM
You have chosen my 2 favorite moderate resorts, and I would have a really hard time choosing. Maybe look at pictures and go with which resort's theme appeals more to you.

My sentiments exactly!

:sulley:

caryrae
01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Our last trip we did a split stay, 4 days Coronado and 4 days POFQ. They are both very nice but we liked POFQ better. It is much smaller and the boat ride to Downtown Disney is a nice plus too. You really can't go wrong with either. We also did not like the Pepper Market at Coronado.

Pirate Granny
01-15-2012, 10:23 PM
POFQ....is our favorite..stayed at both...Luv the food court, one bus stop, pool and wandering the grounds.

KatrinaJ91
01-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Definitely POFQ...we have stayed at POR and CSR and did not like Coronado at all....way too spread out, did not like the food court...too many cons to ever stay again. However, we absolutely love POR and POFQ is a sister resort and connected. Actually, I would suggest POR over POFQ!!

A Big Kid
01-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Another vote for POFQ. Just left there from marathon weekend. I was in one of the farthest buildings from the main building and it was still closer than al lot of the buildings at the CBR are to it's main building.

KAT1811
01-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Coronado is our favorite resort! We spent an amazing 18 days there this past November and are heading back for 16 more this September. I do not care for the POs but that is just my peference.

Is it bad that I secretly love that no one seems to care for Coronado Springs? :blush:

buzznwoodysmom
01-16-2012, 10:23 AM
POFQ for sure if you like being close to everything. POFQ is my favorite moderate because of its small size and how charming it is!

We've also stayed at CSR and we liked it, but its our 3rd favorite resort of the moderates.

We liked the foodcourt at CSR the first few times we ate there, but we also had some not so great meals there. Their chicken alfredo was one of the worst things I've ever attempted to eat. However, the shrimp poboy at FQ was one of the best CS meals we've had in WDW. We actually liked the food at POFQ more than the food at CSR, plus FQ's food is cheaper and you don't have to leave a tip like at CSR.

Melanie
01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
We're not fans of the PO resorts either, with FQ being our least favorite. The decor, from the huge masks in the food court to the dragon themed pool, just isn't our cup of tea. When we stayed there, the rooms were in dire need of a rehab, but I do think that's been done since when they added the queen beds. I understand the love for the size of the resort, because it really is convenient, and also the boat to DTD is awesome.

Our favorite moderate is Coronado. We're fans of the themeing and of the Southwestern room decor. Love the sliding wooden doors in the rooms separating the bathroom/sleeping area (as opposed to curtains at other moderates), queen size beds, beautiful grounds, and the most awesome pool area on property behind Stormalong Bay, in our opinion. The pool also has the biggest hot tub on property. I can also see how some wouldn't enjoy how large the resort is, but it doesn't bother us. And we enjoy Pepper Market.

Truly it all comes down to what you prefer, as the styles and layout of these two hotels couldn't be more different. Good luck with your choice!

disneydeb
01-16-2012, 11:28 AM
We were at POFQ in October, the rooms had queen beds, new televisions and pocket doors seperating the bedroom and the bath.

Melanie
01-16-2012, 11:29 AM
We were at POFQ in October, the rooms had queen beds, new televisions and pocket doors seperating the bedroom and the bath.

No more curtain? That's great news!

Now to do something about those masks.... :eek: ;)

KAT1811
01-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Our favorite moderate is Coronado. We're fans of the themeing and of the Southwestern room decor. Love the sliding wooden doors in the rooms separating the bathroom/sleeping area (as opposed to curtains at other moderates), queen size beds, beautiful grounds, and the most awesome pool area on property behind Stormalong Bay, in our opinion. The pool also has the biggest hot tub on property. I can also see how some wouldn't enjoy how large the resort is, but it doesn't bother us. And we enjoy Pepper Market.

:ditto: :cloud9:

pamickeys
01-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Coronado does have the best busses to and from the parks

MouseHouser
01-16-2012, 02:20 PM
We really like POFQ. The lazy boat ride to downtown Disney winds thru a pretty stretch of woodsy countryside. It's an attraction in itself.

The walk over to POR is maybe 100 yards. We enjoy their pool. Both have picturesque grounds: Shady, backwater, quaint, with lots to see: a water mill, wooden dock, horse drawn carriages....

And the size of both food courts is just about right: not a big scene, but not like going to the local country store either.

A wonderful place to call home for a week; a respite from the bustle of the parks.

spoonful of sugar
01-16-2012, 02:37 PM
my husband & i were huge fans of csr until our last trip there. everything was just horrible & made for such a miserable vacation. from the lopsided bed mattress to having to move everything at 2 am to another room to our room keys not working once moved to just the not so nice attitude of the staff. we are trying pofq for our upcoming feb. trip & are hoping it's as nice & enjoyable as my sister said it is. not a fan of the pepper market what so ever. i'd rather have less choices in a food court than out right not so good at all choices. everyone has their own opinions so as much as you value others opinions you will have to make the decision for yourself and if the one you chose isn't for you, you always have another trip to look forward to to stay at the resort you didn't chose. :mickey: