PDA

View Full Version : Buffet tip question

LiloLovesTheKing26
01-15-2012, 11:14 AM
So let's say 4 adults at cape may buffet total bill is around $160. We are there 30 min tops. We are supposed to leave a $30 tip for 1 maybe 2 rounds of soda? I am just curious about opinions on this? Thanks!!

DizneyRox
01-15-2012, 12:01 PM
30 minutes at Cape May Cafe and you're selling yourself short.

According to the TiW policy, 18% would be automatically charged, so it would be safe to assume that's what they are expecting "normal" folks to tip.

I wouldn't feel at all bad leaving $15 on the table for a tip however.

CMC is WAS overpriced for what it is... Food quality has gone way down over the years while price has gone up and up. It's no longer on our to-do list for Disney dining, not because of any bad experiences, only because of value.

TysMomTink
01-15-2012, 03:00 PM
I know this discussion has been had MANY times on many different boards, but why are people against giving people their due? I understand tipping 20 percent on a buffet may seem a lot but those servers still have to declare to the IRS a percentage of their income, they still work for it. I can't tell you if the service warrants 20 percent or not, but $15 for a $160 check? Are you kidding me? Why do people have such negative feelings for servers? Are people who tip so poorly so unhappy in their cubicles that they feel taking it out on servers makes them feel better? Geez. Like I said, maybe not a full 20 percent but people are trying to make a living here.

LiloLovesTheKing26
01-15-2012, 03:43 PM
I know it can be a hot topic. I normally tip 20% sometimes more if the service is excellent. And when I say we are in and out in 30 min I meant it. We are not big eaters so usually 1 plate of food and some desert and we are done. Our server at a buffet usually brings us 1 maybe 2 rounds of drinks. That's it. If they have 4 tables at the same time and let's say the take an hour leaving the same amount they are making over 100$ an hour. That has to be the best paying job in the park.

Again, I wasn't trying to be hateful. Just wondering about different peoples opinions.

markyv
01-15-2012, 05:48 PM
I would not tip 18% at a buffet. It is not a full service restaurant. Bringing a couple of drinks and taking away a plate or two doesn't warrant an full tip amount on those high buffet prices.

TheVBs
01-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Interesting question! I've never thought about this. I would have to say that you should tip what you feel is acceptable for the service provided to your table. If a server is not doing a lot of work at your table, whether it's not needed or just not being provided, then the tip should reflect that.

By the way, I didn't read any negativity into your question! :mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Here's the thing - you have to find out if the servers at buffets are paid at full minimum wage or waitstaff minimum wage (which can be closer to $3 an hour than $7).

If a buffet waitstaff is paid the lower minimum, then why not pay them what you'd pay a waitstaff at a full service restaurant??

TheVBs
01-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Here's the thing - you have to find out if the servers at buffets are paid at full minimum wage or waitstaff minimum wage (which can be closer to $3 an hour than $7).

If a buffet waitstaff is paid the lower minimum, then why not pay them what you'd pay a waitstaff at a full service restaurant??

I don't think it's appropriate to expect the customer to inquire about the waitstaff's pay. A tip is a reward for work done at the table based upon how much work, how well done it was and how pleasantly it was delivered. It's something extra to be earned, not a right based upon your rate of pay.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-15-2012, 06:34 PM
I don't think it's appropriate to expect the customer to inquire about the waitstaff's pay. A tip is a reward for work done at the table based upon how much work, how well done it was and how pleasantly it was delivered. It's something extra to be earned, not a right based upon your rate of pay.

I did not say to ask the waitstaff how much they make. I know here in NC, waitstaff at fast food joints and buffet restaurants have to be paid at minimum wage or higher. Buffet restaurants are categorized with fast food restaurants. But "full service" restaurants have a much, lower minimum wage for the waitstaff that would usually get tipped. It isn't hard to find out, with a quick search, how buffet restaurants are classified.

Here's the thing though - a tip IS a reward for service, but they are also LIVING on these tips. To stiff a waitstaff because you don't feel you've spent enough time OR had enough service from them......

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-15-2012, 06:36 PM
I try to tip on the service I receive and we've gotten some very good service at buffets. I'm thinking its an automatic gratuity for 6 though, so it would already be added.

TheVBs
01-15-2012, 06:40 PM
I did not say to ask the waitstaff how much they make. I know here in NC, waitstaff at fast food joints and buffet restaurants have to be paid at minimum wage or higher. Buffet restaurants are categorized with fast food restaurants. But "full service" restaurants have a much, lower minimum wage for the waitstaff that would usually get tipped. It isn't hard to find out, with a quick search, how buffet restaurants are classified.

Here's the thing though - a tip IS a reward for service, but they are also LIVING on these tips. To stiff a waitstaff because you don't feel you've spent enough time OR had enough service from them......

I should qualify by saying that we don't base our tips on how much time we spend in the restaurant, but the level of service is most certainly a factor. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be? Forgive me if I've misunderstood what you've said. And also please understand that I'm not being argumentative with you, just offering an answer to your previous question. And, in all honesty, if I spend time researching a restaurant, it's for reviews of the food and service. I don't really feel the need to educate myself on how restaurants are classified. But, again let me qualify by saying that we do tip, often generously, often above the recommended %, but most certainly based upon the service we get. I hope that helps you understand where my comments were coming from! :mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-15-2012, 06:46 PM
I should qualify by saying that we don't base our tips on how much time we spend in the restaurant, but the level of service is most certainly a factor. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be? Forgive me if I've misunderstood what you've said. And also please understand that I'm not being argumentative with you, just offering an answer to your previous question. And, in all honesty, if I spend time researching a restaurant, it's for reviews of the food and service. I don't really feel the need to educate myself on how restaurants are classified. But, again let me qualify by saying that we do tip, often generously, often above the recommended %, but most certainly based upon the service we get. I hope that helps you understand where my comments were coming from! :mickey:

:mickey:I do. Sorry, this is a touchy subject as I have worked in food services in the past. Fast food, buffet, and full service and have gotten some pretty snotty tips for what I knew was fabulous service. :cool:

TheVBs
01-15-2012, 06:48 PM
:mickey:I do. Sorry, this is a touchy subject as I have worked in food services in the past. Fast food, buffet, and full service and have gotten some pretty snotty tips for what I knew was fabulous service. :cool:

No need to be sorry! :mickey: I completely understand. Cheaping out on a tip when you've received good service is unacceptable in my opinion.

mom2morgan
01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
$30 for a half hour's work (and that would be if they only had one table at a time) is a HECK of a lot more money than I make, so I think you are asking us to give them a very, very good living. Not sure why I should be paying a server more money than I even make?

I know this discussion has been had MANY times on many different boards, but why are people against giving people their due? I understand tipping 20 percent on a buffet may seem a lot but those servers still have to declare to the IRS a percentage of their income, they still work for it. I can't tell you if the service warrants 20 percent or not, but $15 for a $160 check? Are you kidding me? Why do people have such negative feelings for servers? Are people who tip so poorly so unhappy in their cubicles that they feel taking it out on servers makes them feel better? Geez. Like I said, maybe not a full 20 percent but people are trying to make a living here.

ElenitaB
01-15-2012, 07:44 PM
It might be helpful to understand that your server doesn't keep all of that money; it's shared with others in the back of the house. If waiting tables was so lucrative, more would be clamoring to do it, no? ;)

brivers222
01-15-2012, 08:54 PM
personally at buffets i would tip around 10-12% tops... because i have to get up and get my own and what not.

If it's an AYCE family style meal i would tip around 15% and then for a full service restaurant 18% and then for a signature restaurant 20%

But this is paying out of pocket... Obviously on the TIW card its a mandatory 18% across the board.

Kenny1113
01-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Interesting question! I've never thought about this. I would have to say that you should tip what you feel is acceptable for the service provided to your table. If a server is not doing a lot of work at your table, whether it's not needed or just not being provided, then the tip should reflect that.

:ditto:

BY THE WAY, just my :twocents: I think evaulating wether or not someone is making more than you an hour is a terrible way to base tips. It should be based upon the service received not the guesstimate of hourly pay.

Fastpasssteve
01-16-2012, 12:53 AM
If I don't have the money to eat at a more expensive restaurant and tip properly, then it's probably a good sign I should choose a less expensive option. If you don't want to leave an appropriate tip, then perhaps quick serve is the way to go for you.

Enjoy your next trip.

eandrsmom
01-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Because we are a family of six, we have 18% automatically added to our bill. (This was even the case when our youngest was an infant and didn't eat at the buffet.-I guess it was because we took up a table for six.) We always consider it as part of the cost of the meal. I know with a teenage boy at a buffet, there are many plates to clear and drinks to refill, so we keep the buffet server busy. As far as service is concerned, I've found it to be hit or miss. Sometimes we've had fantastic service at buffets, other times it was greatly lacking. (The same is true about full service restaurants.) Regardless of the service, the gratuity is included because of the size of our family. If the service warants it, we tip a bit more.

Mickey'sGirl
01-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Tipping in the 15-20% range should be accounted for in any dining planning. I absolutely agree with Fastpasssteve, that if I can't put it into my budget, then maybe I should be eating at non-table service venues.

One of my biggest beefs about the dining plan is the perceived appropriate tipping. People are always saying "Oh we wouldn't have been able to eat at such and such a place without it" ... Well you know, tipping appropriately is part of the package. Don't look for excuses not to tip. As someone else said, if service is poor etc, then of course you should adjust the tip accordingly, but how often does that actually happen. The suggested amounts on the Disneyworld bills are appropriate and should be used.

My :twocents:

TheVBs
01-16-2012, 10:27 AM
I completely agree that when you're planning meal costs you have to factor in the tip and assume that it will be at the high end of the percentage for good service.

I do not think the OP is looking for ways to cheap out on tips or that they need to pass on TS restaurants and eat at CS instead. My impression was that this is someone who IS trying to determine the appropriate tip for that dining situation so that they can budget accordingly.

A little benefit of the doubt goes a long way, especially on a hot topic. :mickey: