PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC and the National Art Gallery

Katzateer
01-15-2012, 08:25 AM
This past week I took the train out of Philly and went on a day trip to Washington DC. My oldest is still on break from college and I can't usually travel during the week due to work and we have too many animals and I have to be around to let the dogs out or pay an animal sitter.

When I got to DC it was. Beautiful winter day-got into the 50's( got sooo lucky with that since I got my train ticket weeks before). I walked to the Capital and then down Constitution Ave. To the Art museum. I have bad knees and don't walk super fast took me about 25 minutes. I was going to take a taxi bit the line waiting was very long at 11am and it was a nice day so I just walked.

The National Art Gallery is divided into 2 buildings with an underground walkway connecting them. Also there is a sculpture garden and a nice place to eat in the garden. We had been to the sculpture garden and eaten at the cafe so I skipped that this trip.

I was able to cover the museum in about 3 hours. The Impressionist paintings are my favorite, but that section is being renovated :(.

The collection of art is very nice and the design of the buildings are well done. I think they mystery be at the end of renovating the entire museum-a lot of it was new.

There are nice places to eat-in the lower level in the walkway between the buildings I got a flatbread pizza and salad for under $10 that was right out of the pizza oven and very good. A large waterfall and skylights were by the seating area and relaxing to view while eating.

A tunnel with a moving sidewalk was really cool-it reminded me of the area in Spaceship Earth with the lights as you come down the ride. Glittering lights reflecting off steel panels-very well done.

The gift shop is AMAZING! It is as very large and has a great selection of art items, books, prints, gifts, music. If you are on Washington and don't have an interest in the museum, the gift shop is worth a visit just on it's own.

I was exhausted after walking through the museum but since it was such a nice day I walked back to the train station.

Can't wait to go back!

MizMissy
01-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Sounds like a great time.

We LOVED our DC trip with the kids. My one regret is that we did not spend a lot of time in the National Gallery of Art because the children were younger. My DD was okay, but my DS sat on a sofa (in the Impressionist wing) and kept saying he wanted to "E X I T" (spelling it out). Poor baby, he was so tired after the 3 days of walking. We joked that going around WDW was like riding a moving sidewalk compared to the walking in DC.

NJGIRL
01-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the trip report. DC is one of our favorite cities to visit. We have never taken the train. How long was the ride?

Katzateer
01-18-2012, 07:35 PM
From Philly it was about 2hours-a very easy ride. And with a special it was just $25 each way-cheaper than parking in DC!

NJGIRL
01-19-2012, 06:43 AM
That's a great deal. :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
01-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Loved the National Gallery, as well as the National Portrait Gallery and American Art Museum when we were in DC last summer! Honestly, I don't think people realize what national treasures we have in these museums (as well as the other Smithsonian Musems) and all free to visit when in Washington DC. :)

Kairi_7378
01-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the report! The food court in that museum is one of our favorite lunch spots... we will leave the other museums to visit that one.

Did you take Amtrak to DC? Sounds like you got a really good deal... every time I've priced the train trip it's been about twice as much. :thumbsup:

Mendelson
02-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Used to work near the NGA and it was included in my daily lunchtime walk for years, not to mention the many, many times we took my daughter there over the years on weekends. It is incredibly inspiring and I'm happy to say I know the place like the back of my hand. It is not a part of the Smithsonian, but is free (which is really the important part to most visitors!).

Katzateer
02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I did get a special rate on Amtrak-if you register on their site or Facebook they keep you updated on specials.

And the NGA is listed as part of the Smithsonian museums when you look up information on the sites to visit in Washington. You are so lucky to have worked close by and gone so often.