PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Time Killers

Mickey 101
01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
What are your favorite things to do while waiting in line for rides to pass the time? My kids would always come up with very inventive games to play--thought it would be entertaining to hear some of yours!

Cinderelley
01-12-2012, 09:12 PM
My kids loved coming up with our own stories. One person would start it, and we would all add bits and pieces as the tale went on. Sometimes it would have to do with Disney. Other times it was just random things. One of their favorites that they still talk about is one where ninjas were trying to steal my favorite Dunkin Donuts donut (Boston Cream), and our Kung Fu instructor showed up to save it.

jaredkari
01-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I know this is really mean but it is entertaining for my wife and I. We watch the people and try to find the strangest clothing or most inappropriate clothing. I know I dress like a goofball tourist when at WDW but some people wear the funniest things to the parks :mickey:

Buttercup
01-12-2012, 10:41 PM
A few years ago I made up little activity books with simple pictures and games that they could do with each other in line. Like "Name a character that starts with the letter A"... then "B"...
Or there were a bunch of pictures of characters and they had to match up who goes with who: like Sebastian goes with Ariel, Cogsworth goes with Lumiere, etc.
Nowadays, they are old enough to not need much entertainment in the lines.

K8screen
01-13-2012, 04:23 AM
We play "the man in the red hat" We choose someone tall and easy to spot ahead of us in the line, then we each guess how many times he will pass between us and the entrance as the line winds backwards and forwards, then we keep count. Not as easy as it sounds to get right, as the line configurations are complicated! (As you know!)

Goofeygal
01-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Bring along a hidden Mickey book and look for them while in line.

waymickey
01-13-2012, 09:57 AM
we have played everything from rock paper scissors to trying to name every attraction in MK going clockwise from main street. One time my DD and I played hand games (like the old miss mary mack stuff) and a group of people joined in . We had about 15 adults and children all singing and doing the same game one of the CM even joined in.

Kaps
01-13-2012, 02:21 PM
The kids play I spy

kcrc
01-13-2012, 02:52 PM
My son likes to play "Chopsticks", Two people play. You each hold out your hands, each hand with one finger showing. The other person taps one of your hands with one of theirs, and you add the number of fingers they were showing to yours. The goal is to try to get the other player's hand to total '5', then that hand is out. When both their hands are out, they lost. So, for example:

P1 P2
L R L R
1 - 1 vs 1 - 1

P1 Left taps P2 Right to get:

1 - 1 1 - 2

P2 Right taps P1 Right to get:

1 - 3 1 - 2

Then P1 Right taps P2 Right to eliminate that hand.

1 - 3 1 out

When a number totals more than 5, you just substract 5 from the sum so it fits on a hand. e.g. 4 tapping a 3 = 7 - but since most of us don't have 7 fingers, we would show 2.

The other thing is, if one of your hands is out, and the other hand has an even number, you can split them. So a 2 and an OUT could become 1 and 1.

Hope all that makes sense! It's entertaining and passes the time!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-14-2012, 08:03 PM
I Spy
Share iPod Music (splitter and 2 sets of small bud headphones)
(Way to irritate all people in your line) Start Singing "This is the songs that never ends....."
People Watch
Look for and name as many Disney characters we can find through the line, not limited to clothing, backpacks, etc.
Wordfinders (created with Disney words on a website).

Dopey's Girl
01-15-2012, 12:20 AM
I know this is really mean but it is entertaining for my wife and I. We watch the people and try to find the strangest clothing or most inappropriate clothing. I know I dress like a goofball tourist when at WDW but some people wear the funniest things to the parks :mickey:

Me too! My favorite thing about the parks is spotting some of the crazy things people wear! I LOVE to people watch in normal circumstances, so getting to do it in my favorite place is a bonus!

ronandjulie
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
My son likes to play "Chopsticks", Two people play. You each hold out your hands, each hand with one finger showing. The other person taps one of your hands with one of theirs, and you add the number of fingers they were showing to yours. The goal is to try to get the other player's hand to total '5', then that hand is out. When both their hands are out, they lost. So, for example:

P1 P2
L R L R
1 - 1 vs 1 - 1

P1 Left taps P2 Right to get:

1 - 1 1 - 2

P2 Right taps P1 Right to get:

1 - 3 1 - 2

Then P1 Right taps P2 Right to eliminate that hand.

1 - 3 1 out

When a number totals more than 5, you just substract 5 from the sum so it fits on a hand. e.g. 4 tapping a 3 = 7 - but since most of us don't have 7 fingers, we would show 2.

The other thing is, if one of your hands is out, and the other hand has an even number, you can split them. So a 2 and an OUT could become 1 and 1.

Hope all that makes sense! It's entertaining and passes the time!

That made my head hurt. That was a time killer just trying figure that out. :confused:

MOJoe
01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Doesn't anyone just strike up a conversation with the people you are waiting with? This is really one of my favorite things about WDW. So many nice people from all over. "So where are you all from?" has been the start of many conversations that make the line go faster.

joonyer
01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Doesn't anyone just strike up a conversation with the people you are waiting with? This is really one of my favorite things about WDW. So many nice people from all over. "So where are you all from?" has been the start of many conversations that make the line go faster.

:ditto: :exactly: I was already thinking of this and getting ready to post about it when I saw your comment. We have met lots of interesting people form all over, and almost always enjoy sharing the fun and excitement of WDW with new friends. We have learned a lot of tips and secrets from more experienced guests and as we visited more and more, were able to pass off a lot of our experience to noobies. It's a great way to pass a few minutes while waiting in line.

SBETigg
01-17-2012, 06:23 PM

People-watching is one of my favorite pastimes. We make up wildly imaginative stories about strangers around us, I like to think in a playful and not mean-spirited way.