PDA

View Full Version : Audition Advice

kcrc
01-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi All! I have been coming here for great Disney advice, so now I'm reaching out for other types!
My daughter is trying out for a "specialized" high school program that focuses on dance. They are selecting 18 dancers out of about 75 trying out.
She is a very good dancer (not the best in the world, but very good). She is not one of the petite ultra-flexible ballet type dancers. She does cheer as well, so she has more of a cheerleader physique (strong muscular legs and arms). Tap is more her specialty.

She's already filled out all the forms and gotten recommendations. She has excellent grades, and lots of extracurricular activities, so that will all help too.

They will participate in a group setting, learning small combinations etc. Then, there is an interview of some type. Then, they perform a solo (hers will be in tap).

Can anyone suggest some audition "Do's" or "Don'ts"? The only things she's been told so far are:
- wear something other than black, just to stand out a little bit.
- try to get near the front of the room during the group setting.

She's hoping some day to either be a Rockette or a performer at Disney... so you could be helping to mold another park performer!

Thanks in advance for your help!

clausjo
01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
:pixie::pixie::pixie:I was a ballet dancer in a past life and have had several auditions. This is a different kind of audition, but there can be some similarities. Tell her the most important, and possibly one of the most difficult, is to relax. If she's tense and nervous, it will show through in her audition. As long as she smiles and relates to the judges, she has a good chance. Of course, she needs to be able to pick up the choreography quickly as well.

Good luck to her!

Cjsmom1811
01-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Smile, make eye contact. Speak from the heart and show passion for dance.

SBETigg
01-11-2012, 06:53 PM
What others have said, staying relaxed and being personable, making eye contact, smiling, all very important. Best wishes to her!

As an aside, how petite is she? Rockettes have a height requirement, 5'6 to 5'10. *Oh, just re-read, you said she is not petite. Sorry for missing that.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Eye contact, smile, be honest and be herself. Good luck to her.

Katzateer
01-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Besides all the great advise also already posted, tell her to be sure her hair is slicked back in ponytail or bun and no pieces hanging out or sticking up. A little light stage makeup so she isn't pale.

Good luck!!:thumbsup:

kcrc
01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Thank you all for the advice! I passed it along to her. Hopefully coming from Intercot family will be more effective than coming from mom... :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
01-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Smile, make eye contact. Speak from the heart and show passion for dance.

Yes! And show CONFIDENCE! Look like you are enjoying every minute as you DANCE, not just complete steps. Good Luck!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SBETigg
01-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Also, make sure she shows up with everything she needs-- read the forms carefully and maybe do some research online. If she needs head shots, a certain type of dancewear or shoes, she will want to be prepared and not show up and find out she didn't know.

Lakin
01-13-2012, 06:05 PM
I don't do a lot of dance, but I've done vocal performances and public speaking, and I think the best thing she can do is be happy. [I'm just gonna call her you because it's easier to type that way.] If you're on some type of break and the leaders talk to you, don't be afraid to make friendly conversation back. People like people that are friendly and easy to work with.

When they ask you to like repeat a routine or something, make sure you are determined and not disgruntled. Coaches and stuff hate when people are like, "GROAN! We have to do this AGAIN!" So yeah, don't do that, lol. (I'm in softball with people like that....GROAN!)

So yeah, just be sure to SMILE a lot. No one likes to watch a sad person perform anything.

Umm.....sounds like she's in pretty good shape, to me. Tell her I said good luck!