PDA

View Full Version : Theme Park Trivia

mydisneygirls
01-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I remember many years ago one of the parks had an area with live Flamingos. For some reason, I think it was Epcot. Anyone remember?

PopPhan
01-10-2012, 11:13 AM
There are a few places in AK where there are live flamingos...On one of the walking trails around the Tree of Life and a place on the Kilimanjaro Safari ride where there is a 'pond' full of them....

Polynesian Dweller
01-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Yep, it was Epcot, in a small pond between Odyssey and the main walkway to Mexico.

mydisneygirls
01-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Yes that's right...thanks. Anyone else have a memory of something they remember but is no longer there!

Ian
01-10-2012, 12:45 PM
All the topiaries they used to have throughout the resort. They were such a huge part of what I remember of Walt Disney World when I was young that it makes me sad that they've done away with them.

The only one I know of that's routinely still present (outside of like F&G Festival) is the Dumbo one outside of MK.

Main Street Jim
01-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Anyone else have a memory of something they remember but is no longer there!

Discovery Island, and the two side-wheel paddleboats that took you there.

River Country - which, technically, is still there.

The upstairs ImageWorks at the Imagination Pavilion at EPCOT - still there as well.

Ft. Wilderness Railroad. You can still follow the trails of what's left throughout Ft. Wilderness, and maybe even find a railroad spike or two *wink, wink* :)

Riding a tram from TTC *to the Magic Kingdom*. Yep, the trams used to also take guests from TTC through the "water tunnel" (World Drive toward the Contemporary), to the front of Magic Kingdom before the ferry boats were up and running. Drop-off at MK was where the current bus stops are now located. This didn't last very long - the trams hardly made it up out of the "tunnel because of the grade. Part of the reason we now have ferry boats :)

When Odyssey was actually open for guests.

When Innoventions was CommuniCore East and West - with SMRT-1, Backstage Magic, the Astuter Computer Revue, and all the other "cool stuff" (you could even design and ride your own roller coaster :) ).

Speaking of "Revue": the Mikcey Mouse Revue at Magic Kingdom - along with 20K, Mr. Toad, the Skyway, when Diamond Horsehoe was *really* a "revue", the summer and Christmas Country Bear shows, Davy Crockett canoes, Mike Fink Keelboats, If You Had Wings, Mission to Mars, TimeKeeper, Alien Encounter, before there was ever a PoTc in the park - or Splash and Thunder, the old Frontierland train station, the old Frontierland cowboy/stunt show on the roofs of the buildings, before there was ever a Space Mountain or PeopleMover, when there was no Morocco or Norway at EPCOT, Horizons, the original Journey into Imagination...I could go on and on and on and on....

:thumbsup:

Janmac
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
The peafowl at Fort Wilderness. :(

Jan

BWayGrl
01-11-2012, 11:38 AM
I remember a gift shop in MGM with Roger Rabbit footprints on the floor. The shop is still there (can't remember the name) but the footprints are gone. I have pictures of me when I was about 4 or 5 standing on those footprints, sitting in a steamroller (I think that was supposed to be from Roger Rabbit too) and standing with the Toon Patrol car with one of the Weasels - all in that one gift shop I believe. I was excited because when I was there this past December I noticed they moved the Toon Patrol car to the Backlot Express restaurant. I took a picture of it because I knew I remembered posing with it 20 years ago :mickey:

Scar
01-11-2012, 11:43 AM
All the topiaries they used to have throughout the resort. They were such a huge part of what I remember of Walt Disney World when I was young that it makes me sad that they've done away with them.Ian, didn't there used to be a bunch of different characters along the walk from the Contemporary to the MK? When I walked that for the first time since I was a kid, I was looking for them but only saw regular hedges in desperate need of trimming. Quite depressing really.

Ian
01-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Riding a tram from TTC *to the Magic Kingdom*. How about when you used to be able to ride trams from the Boardwalk to Epcot? That was a nice perk that was done away with at some point. Now they just expect you to hoof it from your fabulously expensive hotel room to the park. As if we needed more walking?? ;)

Ian, didn't there used to be a bunch of different characters along the walk from the Contemporary to the MK? When I walked that for the first time since I was a kid, I was looking for them but only saw regular hedges in desperate need of trimming. Quite depressing really.Yep. That whole area had tons of topiary characters as did the TTC area. In fact, if memory serves, there used to be a giant topiary of Pete's Dragon sitting in the main plaza area of the TTC.

disneykidsince1970
01-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Ft. Wilderness Railroad. You can still follow the trails of what's left throughout Ft. Wilderness, and maybe even find a railroad spike or two *wink, wink* :)

I drive between Tampa and Jacksonville very regularly and rarely can I get by I-4 exit 68 without stopping for my Disney fix. Trouble is, I've grown pretty bored of DTD. Thanks for giving me a great new option Main Street Jim!!

Nikki:mickey:

Main Street Jim
01-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Nikki,
if you need tips on where to look for FWRR stuff, PM me or e-mail me. ;) I can point ya in the right direction. I own a FWRR spike and tie plate :)

Buttercup
01-13-2012, 07:03 PM
I distinctly remember standing in one of the Communicores (now Innoventions) and there was a gift shop area -- one of my sisters was looking at sweatshirts for sale -- while I stumbled across this little computer that you could type in anything and it would convert it to speech.
In 1985, that was seriously cool! A computer that could do text-to-speech was unheard of! So of course, my sister and I had to type in every rude word we could think of... :secret:

Katzateer
01-13-2012, 08:06 PM
when we first started going to the MVMCP there was a lot more going on. I can remember games and prizes. My youngest won a cute small Teddy bear (about the size of a Beanie Baby) that she loved and still has over 10 years later!

SuzieBell
01-13-2012, 10:27 PM
I miss the skyway!!:D And wasn't there a swan ride just before you get into Tomorrowland? and I do miss those topiaries too!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Yep, it was Epcot, in a small pond between Odyssey and the main walkway to Mexico.

Aren't there still flamingos there? I swear I remember seeing them last summer.

disneymom2000
01-14-2012, 11:13 AM

I remember the flamingo's here. I also miss the coi (sp?) pond they had here. Now it is just a dirty pond where people constantly throw trash over the bridge. I don't know what is wrong with people.

Main Street Jim
01-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I miss the skyway!!:D And wasn't there a swan ride just before you get into Tomorrowland? and I do miss those topiaries too!The Swan Boats originally departed from the Plaza Landing, down in front of the Plaza restaurant, just off of Main Street. Then the dock moved to the Rose Garden, just off of the Fantasyland bridge (between Cosmic Ray's and the Hub).

Aren't there still flamingos there? I swear I remember seeing them last summer. Nope, the flamingos have been gone for quite some time (at least four or five years that I know of).

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I must be thinking of the ones at AK?

kemps@wdw
01-23-2012, 10:14 PM
oldies but goodies...gone but not forgotten!
River Country
Discovery Island
20,000 leagues
MSEP-glad it' back
"Top of the World"

Also, I remember and have a photo of the "Armadillo",the rover from the ARMEGEDDON movie when it was on display in front of the Chinese Theater in DHS. (1998 I believe).

FYI...I remember and have photos of the flamingos in the odessy area of Epcot

waymickey
01-23-2012, 10:25 PM
The boat ride in AK where you could see a fire breathing dragon.

When you could go up to the top of the Contemporary and watch the fireworks over the castle. I think it was called top of the world?

The old Backlot tour that you got to walk through working sets and they had a row of houses that your drove by. I think that the golden girls house was there as well as the house from a cave man type show. Encino man ???

Peddel Boats at I think it was Port Orleans resort.

emfleck
01-24-2012, 09:00 AM
I remember going to Epcot, as soon as you got there you'd stop at the computer screens and set up dining reservations with a live person on the screen.

MadMadamMim
01-24-2012, 10:27 AM
I remember going to Epcot, as soon as you got there you'd stop at the computer screens and set up dining reservations with a live person on the screen.

My Mom lives to Skype with my little sister in Texas now because she swears it's just like this!

KAJUNKING
01-24-2012, 11:35 AM
I miss the penny arcade and the skyway, have really fond memories of the penny arcade on mainstreet