PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys recommend?

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
(Please move if this isn't the right category.)

OKay - imagine that you are a HUGE READER and looking at the plethora of guides and reading material about WDW.....now, what do YOU recommend??? What do you think is the BEST guide, etc on WDW and WHY????? I've looked at any number of guides and as someone that isn't new to Disney, but not a yearly veteran, but a HUGE HUGE HUGE reader (I read well over 100/150 books a year) - I need something.

I was looking at a Hidden Mickey or Magic of Disney type book also.

HELP!!!!

Katzateer
01-07-2012, 08:43 PM
If you go to the travel section at your local library, they should have some travel books to look at and you can pick your favorite and then buy one at a bookstore.

Personally, after many years of planning for our WDW trips, I think you can find any information you will need on this site! Up to date and everything you need to know :thumbsup:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong - I LOVE intercot for all things Disney, but I am such a reader, that I still need a book - the laptop doesn't fit well in bed at night when trying to drop off to sleep. :blush:

Strmchsr
01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I recommend my book The Church Mouse (hey, it's one way I can take my kids to Disney). You can get it on Amazon (book or Kindle) via the Icot Affiliate link to the left. :mickey:

It's a leadership book, but still has a lot of inside Disney stuff.

mom2morgan
01-08-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm a big fan of "The Unofficial Guide". I find it gives the best pros and cons of each hotel, attraction, etc. (some guides don't give opinions, as such). I also find it an entertaining read. The tour plans are great if you are there during a nutty busy time, although I don't use them when it is a slower season.

LVT
01-08-2012, 08:06 AM
I agree on the necessity of books. I use the UNOFFICIAL GUIDE the most.

I like the humor. I cannot keep up with all of the changes, but they sure try

brownie
01-08-2012, 11:02 AM
I enjoy the official Birnbaum's guide. The Complete Walt Disney World Guide by Julie & Mike Neal is packed with information.

Buttercup
01-08-2012, 12:33 PM
If you want something a little different (since you've been to Disney many times, you probably don't need guidebooks anymore!), I have a couple really good reads about the parks.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" - my sister gave me this book a couple years ago and I love it. The majority of the book talks about the Imagineering of the ride, lots of big photos, pictures of Walt testing it out, and stories from the park and everything. Only the last chapter talks about the movies, so it's more about the ride itself.

"The Imagineering Field Guide To ___" (there is an Epcot one, a Magic Kingdom one, etc). - I have the Magic Kingdom one and it's great. Again, lots of stories about when the parks were being built, why things are placed where they are, things about rides and the park that you might not know, etc.

I also have the Hidden Mickeys book but it's not really something you sit down and read for leisure. It's a bunch of clues (with the answers on a different page) to find hidden mickeys around the parks. So unless you're actually standing in the park, it's hard to understand what the clues are talking about.

Janmac
01-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm a big fan of "The Unofficial Guide". I find it gives the best pros and cons of each hotel, attraction, etc. (some guides don't give opinions, as such). I also find it an entertaining read. The tour plans are great if you are there during a nutty busy time, although I don't use them when it is a slower season.

:ditto:

Every couple of years my sister gives me a current edition as a gift - one of my favorite gifts every time. LOTS to read.

Jan

joonyer
01-09-2012, 05:41 PM
It's not a guide book, but for a very interesting mystery novel set in WDW, read:

The Key to the Kingdom, by Jeff Dixon.
It's very good, you will not want to put it down.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-09-2012, 06:29 PM
I trust Intercot more than the guides but I do like the Passporter and the Unofficial Guide....

faline
01-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I recommend my book The Church Mouse"

Any particular reason, Chris?? (By the way, I'm glad to see it's now available on Nook - I just recently added it to my "Wish" list! Perhaps, I'll need to buy a hard copy so I can get an author autographed version??) :mickey:

I do get tired reading the same travel guides over and over - they don't seem to change much from year to year so, these days, I tend to look for other Disney related material - books that deal with Disney history and fun novels like the Kingdom Keepers series which seems geared towards kids but still a fun read.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Any particular reason, Chris?? (By the way, I'm glad to see it's now available on Nook - I just recently added it to my "Wish" list! Perhaps, I'll need to buy a hard copy so I can get an author autographed version??) :mickey:

I do get tired reading the same travel guides over and over - they don't seem to change much from year to year so, these days, I tend to look for other Disney related material - books that deal with Disney history and fun novels like the Kingdom Keepers series which seems geared towards kids but still a fun read.

Too funny you mention Kingdom Keepers - I just reread (for the 3rd or 4th time) the 1st one in the series.
I'm going to have to brave my local public library (has a VERY seedy reputation and location) and get some books.

Auroring Good Time
01-10-2012, 12:49 PM
The Imagineering Field Guides are great. I have read them all. They give you information that you don't find in the traditional guide books.

Strmchsr
01-10-2012, 12:57 PM

I wonder why? :D Since I know the author pretty well so I could probably wrangle an autograph for you. :mickey:

Goes4FastPass
01-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I like
The Unofficial Guide: The Color Companion to Walt Disney World (Unofficial Guides)

It's not too many details - and the best of those are online anyway - but gets you jazzed up to go again and it's cheap. Under $14 from that website named after a long river in South America.

The Dad
01-10-2012, 06:55 PM
The "Birnbaum" guide was the first one I became familiar with and it was a fun read. While I haven't purchased a "guide" for a while, I would suggest a "Passporter". It has good reviews and little features like pages for notes and pockets for things like receipts and so forth....really a good idea (can't believe I didn't come up with it myself!). If you are a Haunted Mansion fan (who isn't?) check out "The Haunted Mansion From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" by Jason Surrell.
It's a fun read and profusely illustrated, although I thought they spent a little too much time on the Disneyland version rather than the WDW version. Kind regards, The Dad.

faline
01-10-2012, 07:04 PM
I wonder why? :D Since I know the author pretty well so I could probably wrangle an autograph for you. :mickey:

I'll hold you to that!! Now, I guess I'll need to buy the hard copy edition!!! :D