PDA

View Full Version : Massive School Closings-Losing my Job

PirateLover
01-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Hello all. As some of you may recall I am a Catholic school teacher. I teach in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Over the past year a special commission was assigned to take a look at all the schools and make some big changes. This ended up in a huge restructuring with 44 elementary schools being closed and 5 high schools being closed at the end of the school year. My school was among those that got chopped. I saw the writing on the wall and was not completely shocked by the news, but it was still a very sad day and it is never good to find yourself back on the job hunt. I did not see myself in this job long- term as it did not pay well and my husband and I want to start a family soon, but our area has become awful for finding teaching jobs in recent years so I was happy to have any full time employment. I have been here for 4 years and have formed many bonds and it will be hard to say goodbye. I have a lot of thinking to do as I start applying for other positions. I am not sure how it is in other areas, but in Philadelphia, neighborhoods are defined by their parishes and schools. Many local businesses will be affected as well as the communities. Please keep the 1,700 teachers who will be losing their jobs and the 20,000+ students who will be displaced as a result of this decision in your thoughts and prayers over the upcoming months. The announcement came after our students had been dismissed, and Monday is sure to be another emotional day for all at my school. :(

TinkerbellT421
01-07-2012, 03:24 PM
I am so sorry to hear about you losing your job. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you are able to find another job soon. Sending pixie dust! The school system in RI is not much better. Not only are our Catholic schools and system in general struggling the public school system is even worse. There have been more public school lay offs and closings than there have been private schools. Hoping you will be back to work soon and that the kids are able to cope during this tough transition for them.

faline
01-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Sorry to hear. Best of luck to you in your job search!

DVC2004
01-07-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm so sorry...and best wishes on your job search. I lost my job a few years ago due to cuts, so I completely understand. Hopefully this will open up a new opportunity for you.

SBETigg
01-07-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm sorry, Maryanne. What a loss for you, and for your community. Sad news.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hear that:(

ElenitaB
01-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Maryanne, I am so sorry to hear that. I certainly hope that they'll allow you all to finish the school year. Hopefully as the schools reorganize to accomodate new students, new teaching positions will open up too.

Ian
01-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah, it's not a good time for the Philadelphia Archdiocese, that's for sure. My Father's alma mater, Monsignor Bonner, is among those closing.

Best of luck, Maryanne. I'm sure you'll find something quickly! :thumbsup:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-07-2012, 08:00 PM
So sorry to read all this. Do hope you can find something quickly.

barnaby
01-07-2012, 08:41 PM
PirateLover , very sorry to hear.

I graduated from both a grade school and high school in the Diocese of Philadelphia.
My high school, St. James, closed the year I graduated in 1993. So I've been in a closing school to witness the sadness firsthand.
My grade school, Holy Saviour, is closing with this latest announcement.

Best of luck in your search.
You, your fellow teachers and the students will be in the prayers and thoughts of many.

ColleenMcD
01-07-2012, 10:08 PM
That stinks...for you and the students who could benefit from a good Catholic education.

We are in the Scranton Diocese and we wait every year with baited breath to hear if the bishop will close out local catholic elementary school (Epiphany) because if they do, there is no private school option within 30 minutes of our town.

My prayers for you and your husband...the lord works in mysterious ways...

Kairi_7378
01-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Sorry to read this, Maryanne. I was a CD grad, and my grade school is one of the ones that is merging. My aunt has been teaching at the same elementary school for 53 years, and she is going to have to re-apply for her job since her school is one of the merged schools. I have felt very sad since all of this was announced. I can't imagine what a tough day you all had on Friday, and I will continue to keep the students, parents, and faculty in my prayers.

Jfamily
01-07-2012, 10:49 PM
CD grad here also. As with the above poster, my grade school St. Cecilia's is merging with St. Williams. I know someone who also teaches at St. Cecilia's and she is devistated that she has to reapply for her job. I hope your job search finds you a job quickly.

Hammer
01-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Maryanne, I'm not too surprised to see your post. I know you are sad, but look at this an opportunity to experience a new school setting. Is your school being closed or will it be the new merged school sites?

You are also certified in NJ as well, right? Start sending your resume to every school district in PA and NJ, both public and private, because the early bird really does get the worm!

I'm also sending you a PM with a possible opportunity in a NJ elementary school.

PirateLover
01-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks everyone! My school did merge with another, in their building. We would all have to reapply. That is a whole extra aspect to this that has not hit home with many yet. 44 buildings were closed but over 80 are affected by mergers, becoming regional schools. Parish names will be lost and they will become "new" schools. Teachers will have to reapply and, we are waiting to hear more specifics, but in the past with these decisions you have had to "resign" your current position to apply for the new one, which would preclude you from obtaining any unemployment benefits should you not be hired. We hear more details on this in 2 weeks and if it holds true, I think I'll be taking my chances elsewhere. I am certified in NJ and PA grades 7-12 in social studies and English. Believe me, I am already getting everything together to start applying now.

PirateLover
01-07-2012, 11:55 PM
I also wanted to add that I spent a year going to CD for field placements in college. I loved it there! For high school, I went to a non-Archdiocesan private catholic school, and thankfully the grade school I attended was not affected by this. However, the neighborhood I grew. Up in, South Philly, was hit hard. We have lost a few schools one by one over the years but 5 schools in the area were closed with this announcement and they will merge into the building of a school that was closed 2 years ago! I remained stoic during the meeting when we were told our school would close, but when our principal started reading off all those schools from my old neighborhood, I couldn't help but cry.

laprana
01-08-2012, 01:53 AM
I'm so sorry you are going through this tough time. I'm keeping you and all the other teachers and students that are affected by the closings in my prayers. Lots of pixie dust to you that you find another, and even better, job really soon!

VWL Mom
01-08-2012, 06:02 AM
So sorry to hear that, good luck in your search! :pixie::pixie::pixie:

Hammer
01-08-2012, 10:12 AM
For high school, I went to a non-Archdiocesan private catholic school, and thankfully the grade school I attended was not affected by this. However, the neighborhood I grew. Up in, South Philly, was hit hard. We have lost a few schools one by one over the years but 5 schools in the area were closed with this announcement and they will merge into the building of a school that was closed 2 years ago! I remained stoic during the meeting when we were told our school would close, but when our principal started reading off all those schools from my old neighborhood, I couldn't help but cry.

I know that was hard to hear about South Philly, but I'm sure you know that many neighborhoods in Philly are changing demographics. I think this was going to happen regardless of the economy. The people moving into the city aren't looking for a parish community, sadly. You have single people or young upwardly mobile couples without kids moving into the city. Notice that the farther you moved away from the city, the less school closings there were.

MNNHFLTX
01-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Sorry to hear about the school closings and your job, Maryanne. It is an unfortunate by-product of our economy. In my family, many of my siblings' kids went to a Lutheran parochial school. But many of the parents can no longer afford the tuition, for one reason or another, so the school had to let some of their teachers go too. :(

mickeys_princess_mom
01-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Sorry to hear this! Hard time, I am sure. Hopefully a door will open to something you will really enjoy in a new place!

princessgirls
01-09-2012, 12:13 PM
So so sorry that you are losing your job Maryanne!

Prayers for you during this difficult time.

I know in my area, the archdiosese of Paterson has closed a good amount of the schools. I tend to think that the they can't subsidize the schools as they once were able due to rising costs and less coming in.

Julie:mickey:

Hammer
02-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Bumping this up, as some schools appealed to the archdiocese and are being kept open as they raised endowment money or proved that enrollment was increasing. Maryanne, is your school one of them?

PirateLover
02-16-2012, 11:20 PM
My school was not one that appealed. There were no errors in our report and unfortunately we are just not financially stable. I have to say I am quite surprised that ANY schools won appeals. Tomorrow the full list will be announced but things have been leaking and at least 5 have won. Thanks for thinking of me!

Katzateer
02-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Guess that answers my question- just announced on Channel 6 the schools staying open.... Sorry it isn't yours

Kairi_7378
02-17-2012, 07:31 PM
I was thinking of you today... I was happy to read that St. Matthew's and St. Cecelia's were staying as-is, but I am sorry to hear that you didn't make out as well :-(

Hammer
02-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Maryanne, thought of you when they announced about the all 4 high schools staying open, even West Catholic which did not file an appeal. I think the diocese wanted to make sure the money was actually going to be there, thus delaying the high school announcement until this past Friday and it seems it is. For those who don't live in the Philly area, many businessmen (and women) want to start an endowment fund to keep the remaining Catholic high schools open long term. I hope it is successful!

PirateLover
02-26-2012, 01:51 PM
I am happy for all who were able to save their school. I do think the new models they are adopting will help the schools stay viable. I'm not really sure how West Catholic is going to fare, though. I was really surprised they won.

It just makes me question even more how the entire operation was run, though, to see how many schools appealed and will now remain open. Why did the Archbishop "accept" the recommendations to close before the appeals were heard? For some of these schools, months were wasted going ahead with planning the "new" school that will never come to fruition. It was badly mismanaged.

barnaby
02-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Good to see some of these schools staying open.

My son's Catholic grade school here in NJ, St. Mary Magdalen, is slated for closure at the end of this year.
A board and foundation was formed right after the news. We have a meeting scheduled with the Bishop this Wednesday.
Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

SBETigg
02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Not being from the area, I am confused. Does this mean you still have a job, Maryanne, or that you are still out of a job?

PirateLover
02-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Not being from the area, I am confused. Does this mean you still have a job, Maryanne, or that you are still out of a job?
Short Story- Still out of a job.
Long Story- The Archdiocese of Phila. underwent a study by a non-biased "Blue Ribbon Commission." They were supposed to come out to all the schools, look at enrollment patterns, test scores and more and then make determinations about what schools would stay open and which would close. They made their recommendations in January, and the Archbishop "Accepted" all of them at face value. An opportunity was given to appeal but they actually did a lot to discourage appeals, making it seem like it was hopeless. However of all the schools that appealed, only 4 were denied. To me, that says the original reports were highly inaccurate. The high schools were saved by private donations but the grade schools had to prove there were errors in the report. The only error in our report was that they said we didn't have a full time library teacher. We are really suffering in the $$ department.

Terra
03-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry :( It's such a shame.

Sending you lots of positive vibes and prayers in your job search! :pixie:

SBETigg
03-02-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm sorry, Maryanne. I was hopeful, but this is just a shame.