PDA

View Full Version : Hidden gems/ counter service

thesplashmountaineer
01-06-2012, 06:01 PM
we just booked a last minute trip and we are planning to do something we're not used to... no table service restaurants , just CS....

So do you have any recommandations other than the obvious flame tree, peco's bill, sunshine seasons, etc....

maybe great CS at resorts or at downtown disney???

thanks

faline
01-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney is wonderful. Beaches n Cream is a nice place for a hamburger. Casey's in the Magic Kingdom is a good place for a hot dog. You can get a ham and cheese sandwich at the Patiserrie in Epcot's French Pavilion.

Patricia
01-06-2012, 06:31 PM
My favorite CS places outside of the parks are Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Puck Express in Downtown Disney. Yum.

In Magic Kingdom, I lean to Cosmic Rays for consistency. The Main Street Bakery tends to be often visited as well. :)

AK, I've always liked Yak and Yeti and have no complaints, but I've heard others say they were not impressed.

In Epcot, Lotus Blossom Cafe in China.

In DS, Starring Rolls Cafe.. for coffee, baked items and sushi.

Other than that, I tend to stay with the norm.

I forgot to add, for breakfast you can get Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks in the Poly. Same as the Kona Cafe, but cheaper.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-06-2012, 08:17 PM
We love Casey's in MK, but in general, the "better" counter service is most definately found at the resorts.

There is a wider selection, and more "regular" food, not just "fast food". POR is one of our favourites, great make-your-own pasta.

Kenny1113
01-06-2012, 08:55 PM
I like CHH in MK (usually not busy)
Also the CS in the poly (I don't know the name)is a nice one as well.

CanadianWDWFan
01-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Got to say that Columbia Harbour House is our favourite CS at any park as well.

DisneyorBust
01-06-2012, 09:26 PM
A few off of the top of my head:
Columbia Harbour House
Cosmic Rays
Back Lot Express
Earlof Sandwich
Wolfgang Puck Express
Enjoy your dining experience!

wdwfansince75
01-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Captain Cook's at the Poly is great....Tonga Toast for breakfast, the best adult toasted cheese...or almost any of their offerings...and serve yourself Dole Whip!

SandmanGStefani24
01-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Tangerine Cafe!
*Epcot*

I had never had this type of food before, so ate here partly out of curiosity. Man was I impressed! The service was quick and friendly, and the food was outstanding! I would recommend any wrap or shawarma. The lentil salad side was also a nice surprise. Good food, great ambience, and a nice spot to sit a while and rest before continuing through the World Showcase.

disneynarula
01-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Ditto with the Tangerine Cafe in Epcot. It does not taste like fast food. So yummy! We ate there three times during our last trip. It's my favorite CS at WDW.

We also like Columbia Harbor House in the Magic KIngdom. It's not super but you get something besides burger, fries, and hot dogs.

Wolfgang Puck Cafe in DTW. We eat dinner there almost every night when we stay at SSR.

I still have not found a place at the Studios. We usually eat at the Sci Fi and split meals. It costs about the same as most TS places.

I am not a burgers and fries person. I try to do whatever I can to avoid places like the ABC Commissary or the Electric Umbrella.

mom2morgan
01-07-2012, 12:05 PM
I don't know if you've already been to or seen every resort, but last time we went we travelled to each Deluxe to have a CS meal. Honestly, I don't remember any specifics about the food (other than that each Deluxe had a slightly different offering) but it was great just to do something "different" and see other resorts. In Sept. I'm planning on checking out the food courts at the Values since I've never seen those resorts, either!

BrerGnat
01-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Contempo Cafe at the CR is very good, particularly the sandwiches.

Roaring Fork at WL also has REALLY good freshly prepared sandwiches (the roast beef one was delicious) and their flatbreads are excellent as well (particularly the pulled pork bbq one!)

Beaches & Cream is a TS restaurant, FYI, but if you go over to Hurricane Hannahs (the CS place by the walkway in front of the pool), they have the SAME cheeseburgers as inside B&C but for a couple dollars cheaper. :thumbsup:

I like Columbia House and Pecos Bill at MK. If you are at MK for lunch, try one of the new waffle sandwiches at Sleepy Hollow in Liberty Square. They looked delicious.

At DtD, our choices are also Wolfgang Puck's Express and Earl of Sandwich.

I like the Mexican CS place in Epcot much more than Sunshine Seasons, personally.

Mickey'sGirl
01-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Tangerine Cafe!
*Epcot*

I had never had this type of food before, so ate here partly out of curiosity. Man was I impressed! The service was quick and friendly, and the food was outstanding! I would recommend any wrap or shawarma. The lentil salad side was also a nice surprise. Good food, great ambience, and a nice spot to sit a while and rest before continuing through the World Showcase.

I agree! I love it!

Janmac
01-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Yak and Yeti counter service at AK, as well as Flame Tree BBQ and Pizzafari.

Most of the counter service places in World Showcase.

We have yet to find a CS place we like at DHS.

Cosmic Ray's is our favorite at MK.

We're looking forward to trying the CS at the Contemporary - liked the former one. Also like Roaring Fork at Wilderness Lodge. Would like to try Gasparilla Grill at Grand Floridian. Capt Cooks at the Poly is doable.

Jan

TinkerbellT421
01-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I would have to say my favorites by location are:
Magic kingdom is definitely Columbia harbor house. The chicken strips and white clam chowder is a must for us every trip.

Epcot is Yorkshire fish shoppe, the cs section of rose and crown for the fish and chips is delicious.

The boardwalk boardwalk bakery or the pizza take out window on the boardwalk is a fav of ours.

MGM we really don't eat here much so don't have one.

Animal kingdom is flaming tree BBQ for the pulled pork sandwiches and beans.

Beaches and cream at beach club is a definite.

Earl of sandwich at DTD is a must and cookes of Dublin is a must for us (get the shrimp basket!).

That's all I can think of for now.

rafiki fan
01-07-2012, 09:21 PM
I am amazed you can't find anything at DHS. We love going there just for Starring Rolls and then back to the Backlot Express which has a better atmosphere than any other CS. You can usually find a very quiet corner to eat in peace. Although a bit noisier we have also had a great meal at Pizza Planet.

I am also surprised no one has mentioned the CS at Norway. Their sandwiches are great not to mention the desserts. :D

Auroring Good Time
01-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Magic Kingdom - Columbia Harbour House - tuna fish sandwich is good and something different from burgers
Epcot - The quick service next to the Rose & Crown - great fish & chips
Animal Kingdom - Yak & Yeti quick service - we like the shrimp lo mein or the honey chicken
Royal Andepeur Tea House - Chai freeze
DHS - starring rolls' pastries are delicious, also writer's stop has great desserts. I like the backlot express. They have a grilled veggie sandwich that's a must for me.
DTD - Cooke's of Dublin - everything is good especially the pies.
DTD - Earle of Sandwich - the sandwiches are huge.
CBR - pepper's market - great selection of items

TheVBs
01-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Earl of Sandwich and Electric Umbrella were both great meals for us.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Columbia Harbor House in Magic Kingdom and Starring Rolls in DHS come to mind....we also love Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD

brownie
01-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Backlot Express is our favorite counter service. We also like the food courts at All-Star Movies and Pop Century.

Crow
01-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Tangierine Cafe at Epcot a few trips ago was good.
as was Cookes of Dublin at DD
Ive been meaning to try Earl and Wolfgangs Express at DD

KatrinaJ91
01-08-2012, 09:55 PM
We really like the food court at Port Orleans Riverside...great pasta station!

Tangerine Cafe is excellent...very unusual foods.

Earle of Sandwich is one of our favs as well.

ThanxForNoticin
01-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Our favorite CS is at the Animal Kingdom Lodge - Mara is a place we enjoy any chance we get. They have some of the freshest and best tasting food.

TheRustyScupper
01-10-2012, 12:47 AM
As with other folk's opinons . . .

In our opinion . . .
. . . Epcot-FW: Sunshine Seasons (maybe the best QS in WDW)
. . . Epcot-WS: Yorkshire Fish and Chips
. . . MK: Columbia House
. . . AK: Flame Tree (good ribs)
. . . DHS: Backlot Epress
. . . DTD: Earl of Sandwich
. . . BB: Lottawatta Lodge
. . . TL: Typhoon Tilly's
. . . Deluxe Resorts: Capt Cook's at Poly
. . . Moderate Resorts: Sassagoula Flatworks at POFQ
. . . Value Resorts: Intermission at ASSMo

NOTE: We are not ranking QS eateries. Our fav's are Sunshine Seasons
and Flame Tree's ribs. We are simply listing better QS eateries.

CanadaLovesDisney
01-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Whatever you do just steer clear of the tomorrow land terrace noodle station. It's been closed past few times we have been but we once got food poisoning there and the food was so bad I can't even discuss.
We love just about all the other counter service! I heard via Napoli in epcot may be serving pizza by the slice!

whitney37354
01-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Cooke's of Dublin had great fish & chips at DTD.

BrerGnat
01-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I heard via Napoli in epcot may be serving pizza by the slice!

This is only sometimes, and really only during the very busiest times. Plus, it's Sicilian Style square, thick pizza slices. It's not the same as the Neapolitan style served inside.