PDA

View Full Version : Candlelight Processional

yjgirl32
01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I am hoping to attend this next year but was wondering what to expect? Would you recommend it for a 9 year old? Also do they have this during rain? Thanks for any help.

BWayGrl
01-05-2012, 05:00 PM
I just saw it for the first time this December, and I enjoyed it but probably wouldn't do it again. The music was beautiful - a choir singing classic Christmas carols (like Silent Night, Do You Hear What I Hear, etc.), a full orchestra and a celebrity narrator who reads Christmas-related passages. I think I was expecting it to be bigger and more grand than it was. It was still a bit light out when I saw it, so maybe that takes away from the ambience of the "candlelight."

When I saw it I noticed two young girls in front of me getting very antsy. They weren't into it at all. They looked like they were about 7 or 8, and they were doing their own thing, playing with each other and not even watching the show.

I chose to stand in the back, kind of outside the theater, as opposed to waiting in line for a seat. I would recommend maybe walking by during one of the performances to get a sneak peek.

Hope this helps!

Strmchsr
01-05-2012, 05:29 PM
The PP described it pretty well. It's not your normal Disney show with all of the special effects and kids stuff. It's really just straight up choir music and reading the Christmas story from the Bible. No frills. I like it's simplicity. As for a 9 year old, depends on the child. Since I'm a pastor, my boys here that kind of stuff all of the time and they enjoyed it very much, even the 6 year old, but not every child will be that way. If your 9 year old enjoys choral music, or classical music, it'll be a good experience. Otherwise, I agree with the advice above and just watch with the crowd from the top rather than waiting to get a seat or doing the dinner packager.

And, yes, they do it rain or shine. The choir and orchestra are under a roof so it doesn't matter to them whether or not it rains.

faline
01-05-2012, 05:48 PM
And, yes, they do it rain or shine. The choir and orchestra are under a roof so it doesn't matter to them whether or not it rains.

Keep in mind that some of the seats are under cover but many are not. I remember watching Peter Noone at this venue while sitting in the pouring rain!

I agree with Chris. Whether or not your 9 year old enjoys it will depend upon the child You know your child the best.

brivers222
01-05-2012, 06:32 PM
i would just ask yourself "does your child sit through Xmas eve service or not" If so then he should be fine. I didn't attend one in regards to actually sitting down in a set... however I hovered around the back taking pictures of Neil Patrick Harris who was the narrator.

But from what I witnessed it was almost identical to the Xmas eve church service my parents church puts on.

yjgirl32
01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Thank you all for the input. I guess I should have mentioned that my ds9 goes to Catholic school and does sit very well thru church services. I do think by the way you described it that he will enjoy it very much.

Ian
01-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Wow, I'm going to slightly disagree with those who posted before me and say that CP is, hands down, my favorite thing to do in all of WDW!

I think the show is breathtakingly beautiful and the chorus and the orchestra are simply amazing.

And this is coming from someone who hasn't been inside a church outside of weddings, funerals, and baptisms for like 20 years or more!

Although in fairness, I'm a Christmas geek so that could feed into it. But seriously, it moves me to tears every time I see it. And my DS (who was 8 last time we saw it) loved it too. It's a must do as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

yjgirl32
01-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Thank you- I too am a huge fan of Christmas. I love the music- lights and to hear them read the story will be an awesome experience. Thanks for the info.