PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding on new camera

We LOVE Disney
01-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Hi

I am on the hunt for a new camera. I've only ever owned a point and shoot and am looking to upgrade, but not to a huge DSLR. I'm looking at what they call a "bridge" camera which is something in between a point and shoot and a DSLR. I am by no means a camera expert and am only giving information based on what I've read and played with at the store (so I'm sure I won't be using correct terms most of the time :blush:).

I have it narrowed down to 2 (so far):

Canon Powershot 30IS:
I've heard that Canon is the best in picture quality, even when zoomed out to the 35x that it offers. I'm having a hard time with the dial thing on the back and I don't like the way the panoramic picture taking is on this (you have to stitch the pictures together and you can't see the actual panoramic picture you just took until you get it onto the computer).

Sony Cybershot HX100: I believe I love everything about this one. it has a burst mode that is super fast (I have a daughter in competitive cheer and son in soccer). The panoramic feature on this is awesome, all you have to do is push the button and "sweep" the camera either back and forth or up and down.

Like I said, I really like the panoramic and burst features on the Sony. However, I keep asking myself how often will I really that feature and is it worth the $100 more than the Canon.

Does anyone out there have any experience with either of these cameras. Also, if you have a suggestion to try out another one, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

bjbunny
01-05-2012, 11:44 AM
We have the Sony and love it. The panorama mode is definitely great. The burst mode is really fast, but only shoots for a second, then you have to wait to shoot again. Image quality is good unless you like to zoom in to 100% alot, then it's not so great. From reviews I've seen of the Canon, the quality on that isn't great either.

Ian
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
You know the Sony is close to a $500 camera ... for only a little bit more you could go up to a true DSLR.

I just got the Canon EOS Rebel 2ti for Christmas and let me tell you ... it's an amazing camera that you can get for about $130 more than the Sony.

And that's for the 18mp version. I think the Sony is only 16.2mp. But really you get the lens flexibility, all the advanced features, full HD video ... the thing takes incredible pics!

brivers222
01-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Ian is 100% right...

I used a sony cybershot point and shoot for years and years and years..... I took 2000 photos at WDW in oct of 2010 but it was a struggle waiting for the camera to take multiple pics.... I missed a lot of the action shots.

For a wedding present my DW got me my first DSLR Canon t3i..... I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

I have since bought a few lenses with different F/stops and an external Flash Speedlite 430EX

The pictures that come out of that camera are top notch. and the size of it is not that bad. Its relatively light weight (except when putting on the external flash) but it is still manageable.

I actually took around 9000 pic during our honeymoon trip this past december.... I love that camera, got a ton of action shots from the parades that I couldn't dream of before!

The extra money is well worth it! I know Ian mentioned the t2i, which is just as good as the t3i so you don't really need to pay the additional cost to get up to the t3i.

Disney Hungarian
01-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Just last week, I would have given advice freely. Now, I must take a step back.

It is my opinion as well as others in the business that DSLR may be a thing of the past in as few as 5 years. The development of 3rd generation cameras (mirrorless) is a major rethink of the whole camera. The first run models are amazing and this is just the begining.

I personally would not buy anything unless you just had to. I would wait 6 months to year and see how fast the new 3rd generation cameras grow in capabilities and shrink in price.