PDA

View Full Version : New to DL

MindyMouse
01-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Our family will be taking a trip to the west coast at the end of July for a wedding. We are going our early to visit DL and Legoland. For the most part, we'll use DH's Hilton points for the trip. I know there is a Hilton not far from the park entrance but I think I'd like to experience one of the Disney resorts out there. I'm not sure if GCH or DLH will be a better fit for us.

How far is DLH from the park entrance? We are only doing a day or two there and I'd like to be close so that we can walk back for a nap of need be.

We are a family of four, two boys (2 and 7 years old)

Also, is it possible to check in early, even if rooms aren't ready and head over to the park? Because our time is so limited and we are going during a very busy time, I'd like to maximize our opportunity to see as much as possible.

Thanks

tinkwest
01-04-2012, 02:12 PM
All three Disneyland Resort hotels are within walking distance. Grand Californian is slightly closer to the entrances of the parks than the Disneyland Hotel. And you can check in to any of them as early as you like. If the room is not ready you may leave your bags at the bell desk and go to the parks until things are ready for your return.

MindyMouse
01-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks so much!! I am thinking that we may end up at DLH. Seems like a fun place to stay :)

disneynarula
01-18-2012, 04:51 AM
We stayed at the Homewood Suites and it was fine. It was not fancy but the rooms were very clean and we enjoyed the free breakfast. The bus service to the parks was on par with what you would have at WDW.

BrerGnat
01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
The Anaheim Hilton on Harbor Blvd is REALLY nice. If you could stay there for free, I would choose that over one of the Disneyland resort hotels. It's really not that far at all. Walking distance wise, it's almost the same as walking to the Paradise Pier. It's only about one block away from the Disneyland Resort Harbor Drive entrance. There are also shuttle buses that will take you back to the hotel if you don't want to walk.

For such a short trip, honestly, it's not really worth it to spend the extra money just to stay at a Disney resort. You have to remember that Disneyland Resort is COMPACT. You can get around very efficiently by walking and that frees up more time in the parks.

However, if budget is not an issue, I highly, highly recommend the Grand Californian. It's my favorite Disney resort, period. Have stayed there numerous times and have never had a bad thing to say about it. If it's convenience you are looking for, this is the resort for you. You can exit Disneyland and be back in your GCH room in about 5 min. You can also enter this hotel from inside DCA (there's an entrance that is right outside of the Grizzly River Run), and be back in your room in under 5 min. With a 2 year old, this is priceless!

Genie1953
02-01-2012, 01:26 AM
I will definitely be interested in any answers you get to your question. We are most likely making a short trip in early August and I have not been since around 1959 and I was only 5 so I don't remember much at all.