PDA

View Full Version : AK Villas or Boardwalk Villas?

jwallace378
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi all. I'm planning a trip to WDW in May and I'm buying DVC points from a family member. I've been to OKW and Beach Club Villas. This time we have narrowed it down to AK Lodge Villas (concierge) and Boardwalk Villas (Boardwalk view). Which do you like better and why? My wife and I are 33 and have a 4 year old son. We're WDW "veterans" but have never stayed at either one of these resorts. Thanks for any info you have.

sassafras
01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
We've stayed at both places in the past year. The Boardwalk Villas are great if you like being close to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, etc. To me, the accommendations are a bit dated, but still nice. I prefer the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's very relaxing, the pools are nice, and I just like the overall atmosphere better even though it takes a few minutes longer to get to the parks. If I were to take a 4 year old, I think I'd go with the Animal Kingdom. Your son would probably love getting to see the animals that close plus there are numerous activities there for children. There is an observation area where the staff answers questions about the animals. While we were there, they did a "parade" thru the lobby each evening with the kids playing African drums, and dancing, among other things. If you stay at the AKL, be sure to be in the pool at opening at least one morning. At Kidani, they pick a couple of kids to help check the pool and be honorary lifeguards for the day. At both pools, when they turn the water slides on, they send beach balls shaped like animals down the slides and the kids can grab and keep them! The staff there is wonderful with both kids and adults. It's all a matter of personal preferance, but if you decide on the AKL, be sure and try the Zebra Domes!

Auroring Good Time
01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
I like the location of the Boardwalk but, I also found the accomodations in need of updating. We really enjoyed the Animal Kingdom Villas. My son was up early and on the balcony every morning to see the animals.

iloveokw
01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but you are only 4 months out....you might not have a choice. All DVCs are great. Good luck.

WRWDisney
01-05-2012, 05:03 AM
To follow up on "Debbie Downer", there is really no chance in the world of getting AKV concierge at 4 months out. That requires luck, and booking at the 11 month mark.

If you can get AKV, take it. We love it.

twinboyz
01-05-2012, 12:20 PM
We booked AKL 6 months out and had luck, but no concierge. Good luck.

PlutoPlanet
01-05-2012, 12:35 PM
We usually do a split stay at both AKL and BWV. So, we love both. We like being within walking distance of EPCOT and, to some degree, DHS. Both AKL and the Boardwalk have entertainment. With a 4 yr old, I'd recommend AKL. Older kids would spend more time at EPCOT and DHS,

Barb_A
01-25-2012, 05:52 AM
What times do the pools open at Jambo house? That sounds like fun!

If you stay at the AKL, be sure to be in the pool at opening at least one morning ... At both pools, when they turn the water slides on, they send beach balls shaped like animals down the slides and the kids can grab and keep them! The staff there is wonderful with both kids and adults!

Disney4us2
01-27-2012, 11:50 PM
We were at the Kidani pool around 9:30am. The life guard came on duty at 10am to turn the slide and the water play area on. I would think it is the same for Jambo House.