PDA

View Full Version : What haven't i seen or done?

ransam
01-03-2012, 10:36 AM
I've been to WDW many times...leaving again on Feb 1st.
what are some really secrets i haven't seen or done. Some real obscure stuff..
I will admit i've seen a lot, seen the key under the mat in the muppet show, the lights on Mainsteet, a net full of Jello....
but anyone got any realllllly cool, obscure things to see or do?

thanks so much.,

stitchingirl
01-03-2012, 11:09 AM
have you seen the "Singing In the Rain" umbrella?
It is attached to a street light in the Streets of America section; not on the main street but on one of the cross streets, I think on the righthand side if you're standing at the Lights, Motor, Action show end of the street. Anyways, there's a pad that you stand on, and when you hold the umbrella handle, it starts raining! :mickey:

BWayGrl
01-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I hope this doesn't violate any rules by posting this, but I just received a great book for Christmas called The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World. It's an easy read - it takes you through each park and each land in that park, and just points out little things like the key under the mat in Muppet Vision 3D or pulling the rope out front of Indiana Jones. But there were a lot of other hidden gems I didn't know about as well. There were also little quotes here and there from Imagineers, which I found to be interesting. I wish I had this book before my last trip!

SBETigg
01-03-2012, 12:32 PM
There are tours you can take highlighting various aspects of each park, like a Segway tour in Epcot, or touring some behind the scenes areas. There are lots of recreational opportunities I think people never get to try, like renting a boat and spending a day on the Seven Seas Lagoon, or horseback riding/carriage rides in Fort Wilderness. If you have "done it all" in the parks, I think it's worth taking some time to explore everything else that WDW has to offer.

The Dad
01-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Well... have you ever run into PUSH the talking trash recepticle? Quite an interesting little fellow! He usually hangs out in Tommorrow Land by Mickey's Star Traders...

stitchingirl
01-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Oh Push! I completely forgot about Push. For a trashcan, he's adorable! I've seen him in The Electric Umbrella (counter service place at Epcot), usually near the condiment bar. He talks when you put stuff in.
One time I stood there and kept pushing open his lid to make him talk. DS and I were giggling over it, meanwhile every other tourist just kept walking on by....

There used to be a talking water fountain somewhere in the vicinity of The Seas part of Epcot. Don't know if it's still there.

Main Street Jim
01-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Oh Push! I completely forgot about Push. For a trashcan, he's adorable! I've seen him in The Electric Umbrella (counter service place at Epcot), usually near the condiment bar. He talks when you put stuff in.Just so you know, Push is strictly Magic Kingdom ;) Look him up on Facebook. There is, however, a "talking trash can" in EPCOT, although it's not the same "Push".

Push also has a cousin in Animal Kingdom - I want to say "Peta"<?>. Usually you can find "Peta" in Conservation Station.

As far as "obscure" things to do:

Look for the lawn mower tree at Ft. Wilderness.

Visit the Carolwood room at Wilderness Lodge Villas.

Take the "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" tour.

Drive a real NASCAR stock car at the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

Do the Hoop-de-Doo Revue.

Stop and watch the Streetmosphere characters at Studios. If you ever catch the "Where are you from?!" performance, watch out :)

Stop and check out the pet cemetery at the exit to Haunted Mansion. You just may see a glimpse of a former Magic Kingdom resident - but you have to look *really* hard.

Find a paint brush on Tom Sawyer Island.

Buy the book - then look for Hidden Mickeys.

Stop and look around at the *detail* in the lobby of the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

Watch the Fife and Drum Corp and Voices of Liberty at American Adventure at EPCOT.

Stop and thank your outstanding Cast Members :) Write a letter to Guest Relations *and* drop one off on your way out of the parks.

cer
01-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Have you seen Divine (or is it Devine) in Animal Kingdom? She is an amazing moving artist on stilts. She is camouflaged as a vine and is quite intriguing to watch. Check with cast members to see where and when she may be spotted.

We also tend to overlook the attractions in Innovations East and West in Epcot. There is Sum of all Thrills, where you create and ride your own virtual coaster, and one time when it was raining in the 'other innovations', we created our own video game starring us! It was fun to email and play at home with the kids.

On one of our recent trips, we made it all about the snacks! I scoured intercot for the threads about everyone's favorite treat, made a list and made a point to try them out. That was a fun time and we were able to try a lot of new things.

Last trip, we did the Epcot Segway Tour - liked it so much we booked the Fort Wilderness tour as well. While it was not free, it was great fun!

Another thing new we did was watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly. My husband is not one for "staking out a spot" 30 min before any parade or show, so this was perfect for him. There were no crowds and no bad viewing areas. Once we were done, we ferried over to MK. We were in the water at the same time as the water pagent and actually got so close that we had to wait on it to pass us by. We did the same things, (see fireworks, electric water pagent) but with a new perspective.

busterthebronco
01-04-2012, 10:21 PM
i seem to remember watching the flag taking down ceremony at the MK in front of the train station.
there was a band and everything!
it was at dusk?:confused:

Trev&Ev Mom
01-05-2012, 01:22 PM
I hope this doesn't violate any rules by posting this, but I just received a great book for Christmas called The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World. It's an easy read - it takes you through each park and each land in that park, and just points out little things like the key under the mat in Muppet Vision 3D or pulling the rope out front of Indiana Jones. But there were a lot of other hidden gems I didn't know about as well. There were also little quotes here and there from Imagineers, which I found to be interesting. I wish I had this book before my last trip!

I got that book last Christmas and it is a MUST read for any WDW fan!!!

johnO
01-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Ransam,

what about resort hopping? Have you ever just toured resorts youve never stayed at and just checked out what they have to offer?

Auroring Good Time
01-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Watch the fireworks from the top of the Contemporary resort. Learn to draw Disney characters at The Animation Academy at Hollywood Studios. This is alot of fun. My son and I like to attend at least one class every time we go. We have a variety of pictures of different characters.

Kairi_7378
01-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Have you been to all of the resorts? Maybe you could take a trip to one that you haven't seen yet and have a drink/ snack.

bunkyg
01-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Forget the lawnmower tree. About all that's left visible might be a sliver of metal

KatrinaJ91
01-07-2012, 10:09 PM
You have to see YeeHaw Bob play at the Roost in Port Orleans Riverside...so much fun!

Do the animation class at Studios.

Take a boat ride either from DD to a resort or Hollywood Studios to Epcot...just relaxing and different!

Make sure you catch Sweat, Mulch & Shears at Studios...they're awesome.

Make sure you get into all the nooks and crannies of World Showcase....seems like we discover something new everytime we go!

Try Beverly at Club Cool ;)

The Dad
01-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Yeah! a shot of beverly at Club Cool! I completely forgot about that....what could be more refreshing???

Crow
01-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Yeah! a shot of beverly at Club Cool! I completely forgot about that....what could be more refreshing???

good stuff. Some of my friends went on a trip. one said you have to try this to the other w a straight face. the other took a drink and spit it out

Urbss
01-09-2012, 06:36 PM
i seem to remember watching the flag taking down ceremony at the MK in front of the train station.
there was a band and everything!
it was at dusk?:confused:

I think this is done at 5:00 pm every day. I watched the ceremony last year and was moved by it!!

ransam
01-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Beverly at club cool? you think i'm a rookie? :mickey:

Funniest thing about that is in 1999 it was much smaller than it is now. you had to enter through an ingloo. I went w/ my little brother, he was 14 or so and very cocky. he was wearing a t-shirt from the Pepsi race in Daytona. one of the employees said that she loved his shirt and could she buy him a drink, she poured a nice big cup of beverly, he took a huge drink and i wish i had my camera working. You wouldn't know a human face could make so many different expressions.

Janmac
01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Haircut at Harmony Barbershop followed by pixie dust. :cool: Maybe even a gel :mickey:

Jan

Cjsmom1811
02-05-2012, 01:59 AM
You have to see YeeHaw Bob play at the Roost in Port Orleans Riverside...so much fun!

Try Beverly at Club Cool ;)

BOB!!!!!!! I LOVE him! :heart: Happy to hear that he's still there! I havent seen him since 2004!

The Beverly is the best! ;)

Also in MK on main street, I believe it's the store on your right hand side and you leave the round about and start to walk right onto main street... They have a old time phone in there (the store has Mickey Ears and other character hats) If you pick up the phone you can listen in to the "upstair tenants" phone conversation!

waymickey
02-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Take the tour of the Lodge at WL or go over to the AKL and use the night time viewing glasses . But make sure you put on bug spray, the bus over at the AKL are vicious.

Rent bikes at WL and ride over to the camp grounds and visit the petting zoo and the horses in the barn. They like visitors.

Go to a campfire sing along and movie at the camp grounds.

Go to the red phone booths at the UK part of Epcot and write down one of the numbers and then call it. We did this and a little girl answered and my DH pretended to be goofy. She was laughing and surprised that goofy knew she was at EPCOT. Since we were just across the way we could see her smile and jump up and down talking to "GOOFY".

Main Street Jim
02-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Take an Illuminations cruise with 15 of your best friends :)

Take a romantic moonlight cruise on the Breathless II.

Do a "Behind the Seeds" tour at EPCOT's The Land pavilion.

Pin trade :)

Look for the Jammitors at Future World at EPCOT. These guys are GREAT!

Catch the Kiss Goodnight at the Magic Kingdom.

Stick around for the Inferno Barge blowoff after Illuminations at EPCOT.

Find Cinderella's tiara/crown at the fountain behind the Castle (not the one on the Fantasyland walkway; this one is right behind the Castle, next to Tinker Bell's Treasures or whatever the store is now called).

Take the "Backstage Magic" tour (the one that takes you to all four parks and lasts eight hours).

DiveQuest at the Living Seas.

:thumbsup:

02-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Go into Le Chapeau and pick up the receiver on the wall phone and listen to the "party line" phone conversation. Original to the park when that area was the General Store. Best for the older folks that actually know what a party line was.

Look in front of Tony's for the Lady & The Tramp heart in the concrete sidewalk.

Urbss
02-07-2012, 07:46 PM
We saw so many things we never noticed before while doing the Kim Possible missions in WS.