O'Hana
Boma
Cape May
1900 Park Fare
Le Cellier (for Lunch)
Crystal Palace (for breakfast)
Whispering Cafe
Tusker House

We are all in agreement (Hubby, 2 teen girls, and I) that we are more interested in the "experience" than the food. Now, daughter #2 picked Coral Reef and Tusker House, so they have to stay. Hubby loves O'Hana, Akershus and wants to try Biergarten. Daughter #1 has now said she'd like to try Sci Fi, 50's Prime Time, and the Mexican one (can't remember what it's called - is it San angel?). So in terms of "experiences" what do you think are the best bets from our lengthy list - what do you think of her 3 picks, and which others would you drop in favour of them? Geez...I'm picturing having to add days to my already long vacation just so everyone can try all the restaurants they want to! LOL

thesnowbabyplace
01-01-2012, 10:07 PM
We tried Biergarten last year and were not impressed with the buffet food. While in Epcot this year, we tried Tutto Italia and enjoyed their food. My 15 year old really liked the calamari. Husband got the veal roast and it was delicious. My cavatelli pasta was tasty. Also our waiter was very attentive.

mydisneygirls
01-01-2012, 10:25 PM
I can only comment on one of your daughter's pick...the 50's Prime TIme. After watching videos of it and all the crazy things we saw the waitstaff do, my dd's and I were excited to go there. We won't go back. Maybe it was just our luck, but while there not one skit was done by our waitress (even with my daughters elbows on the table) or any other waitress in our vicinity. The food was just okay and we felt it was the worst meal we had while there. Thumbs up for the 1900, O'Hana, Crystal Palace and Whispering Canyon (one daughter had the best steak ever here). Don't care for Coral Reef so we don't eat there. On our next trip, we are going to try Cape May because I've read good reviews on here.

disneynarula
01-02-2012, 05:22 AM
I was not crazy about the prime time cafe either. Our waitress was actually kid of annoying but I guess that's what we paid for.
The food was not that great either.

I am also not keen on Biergarten.

I love O'Hana. The food was pretty good and it was fun too. If you eat during the Magic Kingdom fireworks you can request to sit by the window.

We also love Boma.

All that being said...We are foodies and the experience is not always a priority for us if the food quality is not going to be that great.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-02-2012, 09:33 AM
We are in the minority in that we didnt care for Boma I would drop it.

andmomlau
01-02-2012, 08:54 PM
We have been to almost every one of the restaurants you've chosen...Biergarten was not great...we won't go back there. Le Cellier...awesome...don't give these reservations up for ANYTHING!!! We ate at Coral Reef a few weeks ago as part of the Candlelight Processional...it was good...very expensive, (we weren't on the dining plan) I don't think we'd go back there. O'Hana at the Poly is great. One of our favorites is Cape May Clambake at the Beach Club...we've been there several times, but our July trip was the BEST!!! As far as Sci-Fi or 50's PrimeTime, I agree with the other posts. The food at Prime Time isn't awful, but it's not amazing, and we never had any of the waitresses who put on a show either....SciFi is fun, food is OK...it's a fun atmosphere. Hope this helps...wherever you decide, you're in Disney and you'll be having fun!!!

SBETigg
01-03-2012, 12:28 AM
I think going for the experience rather than the food is a great way to approach it. You can get good food anywhere, but a unique atmosphere can make the meal and memories.

If you're looking for atmosphere, I think Biergarten, Coral Reef, 'Ohana, Sci-Fi, San Angel, and Prime Time Cafe are your best bets. Boma has good food, but it is the food and not the atmosphere that makes it unique. Sanaa has the atmosphere of the Animal Kingdom Lodge restaurants. However, a trek to the AKL is so full of atmosphere that it makes our list for a must do experience no matter which restaurant you choose there.

But also, a character meal is a good addition. It's more about the characters than the atmosphere and in that case, it depends on which characters would most make your trip.

Le Cellier is probably the least on your list as far as atmosphere. I was expecting more. Cape May does not impress me much, either, as far as atmosphere. It's a bit bland. But no matter which you choose, have fun and enjoy!

dismeag
01-04-2012, 12:49 PM
I think all your choices are great the only one I would rethink is boma on one of our past trips we went and we did not really care for the food there I think sanaa I much better in fact it one of our fave restarts :mickey:

Hair_Razor
01-04-2012, 07:01 PM
I am shocked, our family loved 50's PT so much we book it every vacation now. Same with Boma, again it's the food though that is amazing. I think Sci-FI has the worst food of any place we have ever eaten in Disney. Coral Reef is fabulous and yes pricey but we have DDP so it was a must this trip. Of her other choices San Angel inn atmosphere is cool, the food only ok.

Jeri Lynn
01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Prime Time and Whispering Canyon will give you good interaction.

Many people do not like the Sci Fi but I have never had a bad meal there, it's not gourmet food, it's a burger joint, I love the atmosphere, consider maybe booking this mid day just for dessert! Love O'Hana's.

Janmac
01-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Atmosphere only:
Akershus - probably average. There is a lot of stone as you are in a castle. The princesses are ok. I especially like chatting with the Norwegian CMs.

Biergarten - above average. The band has a lot of energy. Kids especially like dancing. If your group is less than 8, you will have another party seated with you. We have had interesting chats with folks seated with us, but I have read reviews of others having not so good experiences.

Coral Reef - about average. The big fish tank is fun to watch but you might have to watch from a distance. We have waited the longest for a table at this restaurant.

O'Hana - above average. There is a lot going on when you eat supper here. We had a strolling ukulele player, coconut races, hula hoop contest, and, in the distance, Cinderella Castle changing colors. The breakfast includes a parade by kids, some with simple musical instruments which are handed out by CMs.

Boma - less than average, as was mentioned. We had breakfast here and had difficulty getting out of our seats to go to the food due to neighboring tables being so close.

Cape May - average for breakfast with the characters and less than average for supper.

1900 Park Fare - above average for supper. The Tremaines are a hoot. A must do for us. For breakfast, probably a bit above average because there is Mary Poppins and the incredible Mad Hatter.

Le Cellier (for Lunch) - haven't eaten here in maybe 10 years.

Crystal Palace (for breakfast) - a bit above average. The Pooh characters are fun but what does the most for me is all the glass. Windows are good. There is a parade for kids with the characters.

Whispering Cafe - haven't eaten here.

Tusker House - average. The characters are fun and where else do you get Daisy? But it's loud, rooms are small.

Sci Fi - above average. You get to sit in a car - sort of. You get to watch old cheesy sci fi movie clips on a drive-in movie screen.

50's Prime Time - above average. You get transported back to the late 50s with all the great decor. You get waited on by "brother" or "aunt", who may or may not chastise you for your elbows on the table, or not having washed your hands, or eaten your veggies. The decor is great and the experience can be enhanced by a fun CM, which isn't guaranteed.

San Angel Inn - above average. You get to eat "outside" watching a volcano, which sometimes puffs out Mickey heads in smoke. Sometimes the jungle cat screams are working.

Of this list, we have ADRs at Akershus (breakfast), Biergarten (supper), Coral Reef (supper), 1900 Park Fare (supper), Crystal Palace (breakfast), Tusker House (breakfast), Sci Fi (lunch), and San Angel Inn (supper) for our upcoming 7 day stay.

Jan

Pocahontas
01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
My family and I have been to a few of these restaurants and here is what we think:

Biergarten - My daughter and I didn't care for the food at all, but my husband and the rest of our table loved it (all a matter of taste). We did have a wonderful time there - very fun atmosphere!

'Ohanas - Our family's favorite for both food and entertainment.

Coral Reef - Many years ago went there and loved it, however we've been twice in the last 4 years and it just isn't the same. Sure the large fish tank is nice, but the food isn't very good and both times service was very slow. We won't go back there.

Whispering Cayon - good food and great fun every time we went (6 or 7 times).

LeCellier - I love the food but not sure if it's worth 2 table service credits. We've always had a nice meal and good service here. No entertainment or special scenery.

Cape May - Very good buffet (if you like sea food). No entertainment at dinner and the atmosphere was just okay.

Have a great vacation!:mickey: