PDA

View Full Version : If you could pick 1 "sit down" restaurant for dinner which would it be?

Diznut
01-01-2012, 07:52 PM
So we're going to Disney in May and plan to eat counter service the whole trip. But we decided to have a sit down meal for at least 1 of our nights. Which would you suggest? We have a 4 year old girl and a 7 year old boy.

Thank you in advance!

faline
01-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Hoop De Doo - corny but entertaining especially for kids the age you will be bringing.

BrerGnat
01-01-2012, 08:03 PM
If you are looking for a regular dinner (no character meals or special shows), I recommend any of the following:

Kona Cafe or 'Ohana (if you can get an ADR!)

Whispering Canyon Cafe

Via Napoli

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Ohana

TinkerbellT421
01-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Another vote for OHana!

floridamom
01-01-2012, 08:55 PM
'Ohana-They call up kids for coconut races, limbo and hula lessons.

Chef Mickey's- Great character meal and seeing the monorail pass overhead also keeps the kids entertained.

Whispering Canyon- Lots of silly antics among the waitstaff.

Sci-Fi Dine In- If you'd like a sit-down meal at Hollywood Studios, this is a good one. You sit in "cars" and watch old sci-fi movie clips on a large drive-in screen.

DisneyWFan
01-01-2012, 09:50 PM
I think it depends on what exactly you are looking for & how picky your kids are. I see a lot of people listed Ohanas but for my family that is a horrible waste of money. Their menu consists of a Polynesian style bread, salad w/a lime dressing noodles & meat (chicken, pork, shrimp & beef) which is pit cooked & served off of skewers they carry around. My kids love the character dinner at 1900 Park Fare with Cinderella, Price Charming Lady Tremain & the evil stepsisters it is a buffet & there are a lot of food choices so everyone in the family leaves happy.

mydisneygirls
01-01-2012, 09:56 PM
I agree with DisneyWFan. The 1900 Park Fare!!!

Donald A
01-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I think it depends on what exactly you are looking for & how picky your kids are. I see a lot of people listed Ohanas but for my family that is a horrible waste of money. Their menu consists of a Polynesian style bread, salad w/a lime dressing noodles & meat (chicken, pork, shrimp & beef) which is pit cooked & served off of skewers they carry around. My kids love the character dinner at 1900 Park Fare with Cinderella, Price Charming Lady Tremain & the evil stepsisters it is a buffet & there are a lot of food choices so everyone in the family leaves happy.

I think I would agree. Ohana was pretty good but not among my favorites as choices were limited. With the children, I think you may find a character dinner more entertaining. However, I just remembered, my wife was pregnant with my now 8 month old when we ate there but there was entertainment and interaction with the children. I would look at menus online and see what looks good.

mom2morgan
01-01-2012, 10:15 PM
I really like O'Hana, but I don't think it has as much food-wise that little ones would enjoy. I'd totally recommend Chef Mickeys or another character meal.... The games and antics at places like Whispering Canyon might also be fun, but I really think children the age of yours would get the biggest kick out of meeting characters.

Friend of Figment
01-01-2012, 11:05 PM
It's true your kids will love a character meal, but it's your vacation too. If part of your reasoning is to have a relaxing TS experience and be waited on, then the character buffets are not it.
If you want a charater meal that is less frantic, try Garden Grill.At Garden Grill there is a family style dinner and the character interaction is very good. For just a regular dining experience, we like Kona Cafe, The Grand Floridian Cafe, or Yak and Yeti.
I'm not sure your resort or the park you will be in, but there are of course lots of choices.

Dopey's Girl
01-01-2012, 11:20 PM
I agree with 1900 Park Fare. I went with 2 pretty picky kids, same ages and genders and they loved it! Plus you get to enjoy strawberry soup. YUM!!

ftwildernesskid
01-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I vote for O'hana's. My DD is rather picky, so they very kindly brought her mac and cheese and chicken nuggets because she couldn't decide which one she wanted. Plus, she LOVED all the fun interactive games and the leis she took home.

VWL Mom
01-02-2012, 06:50 AM
If you're looking for a TS that's not going to break the bank The Plaza Restaurant is a favorite of ours. Simple diner fare, good sandwiches & burgers and the best strawberry milkshake ever!

Katzateer
01-02-2012, 08:02 AM
In park character dining for little ones -Cyrstal Place at MK or Garden Grill at EPCOT

Outside of parks GF 1900 park Fair

Not character outside of parks my girls favorites were Kona or seafood buffet at beach club for dinner (lots of non-seafood items to choose from)

My girls never did like O'hanas it was a little too loud and busy for them and they enjoyed serving themselves. And a nice choice of pretty desserts were high on their list of favorites

Katzateer
01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
One of our daughters was really shy and didn't like the loud character meals. At the MK CP you get all the Winnie the Pooh characters and they loved serving themselves.It is a little more relaxed than some of the other character dining. O'hana is loud and Chef Mickeys is too. At GF 1900 can get loud too but not too bad.

EPCOT Garden Grill ranked high - the fascination of the moving in a circle I guess. My youngest at 17 still asks to go every trip.

With your kids being so young I wouldn't pass up t least one character dining on your trip. In a few short years they won't want to interact with them!

cer
01-02-2012, 08:37 AM
'Ohana

AllDisney
01-02-2012, 06:48 PM
It's between Coral Reef & Ohana.

Good luck picking:mickey:

ElenitaB
01-02-2012, 07:28 PM
I would second Garden Grll ... it's not often that you get to dine with the characters. If you would like to keep costs down, you could have breakfast at Crystal Palace in the MK or at Tusker House in Animal Kingdom.

gaffz70
01-03-2012, 06:55 AM
If my family could only do 1 TS, it would definitely be garden grille.
Good family style food, quiet atmosphere, rotating scenery and quality time w/ characters without all of the noise!

PlutoPlanet
01-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Boma. It is unique.

Auroring Good Time
01-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Hoop de do is lots of fun. We also like O'hana's. My personal favorite restaurant is Raglan Road.

buzznwoodysmom
01-04-2012, 02:18 PM
If we could only pick one TS restaurant it would, without a doubt, be Ohana! A trip to WDW just isn't complete for my family without dinner at Ohana. My kids and hubby would totally agree with me!

DANAM
01-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Hands down 'Ohana!
And that's just what we did last July on our last minute 1 night stay. Imagine my surprise when I called that morning and scored a table for 5. best Disney day ever:mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
01-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Another vote for 'Ohana. Our kids loved it there when they were younger. Another choice could be one of the character meals, such as Chef Mickey's.

Trev&Ev Mom
01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
My kids love Teppan Edo. The hibachi chefs do a great job of putting on a show for the kids. Plus the food is delicious for mom and dad!! :mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
My kids love Teppan Edo. The hibachi chefs do a great job of putting on a show for the kids. Plus the food is delicious for mom and dad!! :mickey:

So glad to read this as it is a "new to us" pick for my daughter and I's trip in June.

cuteduck223
01-10-2012, 02:34 PM
We also love Garden Grill.

We liked Tusker house at breakfast time, but haven't had the opportunity to try lunch!

Diznut
01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Thank you for all the feedback! I really appreciate it!
We went with Ohana (dinner @ 5p on Friday night of our trip). We've never done it. Can you see the fireworks from the poly property?
And ...
We went with Sci-Fi for lunch

Thanks again!

ElenitaB
01-12-2012, 07:44 PM
We went with Ohana (dinner @ 5p on Friday night of our trip). We've never done it. Can you see the fireworks from the poly property?
Great job on the ADR! :thumbsup:

You can see the fireworks from the Poly beach. It's actually one of our favorite things to do. They pipe in the music and it's a really nice way to spend some quiet downtime. And if you have any room left after eating at 'Ohana, you can always get a Dole Whip from Capt. Cook's before or after the fireworks. :secret:

murphy1
01-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Ohana, Chef Mickey, Garden Grill, Coral Reef, these are the ones my kids have really enjoyed and are about the ages of your kids (Crystal Palace, too!)

darthmacho
01-13-2012, 04:21 PM
If I was going to do just 1 (I don't think I could do that, actually) it would be our traditional breakfast at Crystal Palace to start the day at MK. I can't imagine skipping that. :mickey:

SBETigg
01-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Normally I would say California Grill, but that's for me. You have two small children, so I would say that 'Ohana is the quintessential Disney dining experience and that would be my pick, so good choice.

KatrinaJ91
01-14-2012, 10:39 PM
We always liked the Crystal Palace. You can't go wrong with most of the World Showcase TS as well. We have tried most of them and have no complaints!

lighteningqueen
01-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Teppon Edo always!!!

Mickey 101
01-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Our kids loved Ohana when they were young and still do actually. The food is wonderful as well as the service, entertainment, and atmosphere. Especially for young children but really for everyone, this is a GREAT choice!

Fastpasssteve
01-16-2012, 01:07 AM
I am such a big fan of 'Ohana (at the Polynesian Resort) and of Boma (located in Jambo House at the Animal Kingdom Lodge). Pick one of these. I go to both each trip to WDW.

Both 'Ohana and Boma serve breakfast and dinner. 'Ohana has more activities/entertainment for children, but Boma has great food and the entire resort to explore, as well as animal watching.

Enjoy your next trip.

Going2HeavenRU
02-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I absolutely love Cape May at the Beach resort. If your family likes seafood, especially all you can eat crab legs, this is a must. The walk to EPCOT is wonderful you.

joonyer
02-18-2012, 11:39 PM
California Grill.

paragon
02-19-2012, 07:59 AM
We used to always eat from the counter service, but then we started using the dining plan, buying it the first time, then watching for the free dining offers. I have found that we will definitey eat better, by using the dining plan, because we eat in places we never would have if not for the dining plans, so we discovered a whole new world of food options.
Now to the topic,
Our absolute favorite dining is at the CAPE MAY at the Beach Club. Its a nice buffet, ( which I find works best for kids because they can be picky-LOL, so is DW ) The atmosphere is very nice, and its a pretty good value too.
We have heard that Whisering Canyon is also very good and hope to try this one on our Sept trip this year. But after ten years of repeat trips, we always, always plan for the CAPE MAY CAFE..

Quadstriker
02-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Adults only? California Grill at fireworks time.

Kids? Maybe Teppan Edo idk.

madhatterrules
02-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Any of these would be great:
Le Cellier for lunch
Kona Cafe
50's Prime Time in DS
O'Hanna
Boma
Chefs de France in Epcot

dizneydeb22
02-21-2012, 02:28 PM
O'Hana and Teppan Edo are must do's on everytrip! Good luck planning!

#1donaldfan
02-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Boma !! Hands down !!!!:thumbsup:

tinkman
02-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Too many favorites to list...I'll keep Epcot off because other than the new Italian pizza place, can't remember it's name, all places at Epcot are my favorites. Anywho, we discovered Mama Melsrose at Disney Studios and we fell in love with the place. Good food, relatively quiet atmosphere....