PDA

View Full Version : Leap Year Day for 24 hours?!

natstroop
01-01-2012, 12:10 AM
I just heard the special announcment about Magic Kingdom on February 29th being open for 24 hours! I so want to go then, but we can't until December. That would be sooo awesome!

sneezyone
01-01-2012, 12:13 AM
I am sooooooo there! I'm going!
:mickey::mickey::mickey:

Lakin
01-01-2012, 12:44 AM
This is.....interesting. I'm actually VERY surprised that they're doing this. Without having the other parks open to even out the crowds, Magic Kingdom is going to be PACKED.

CleveSJM
01-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Get there early! The fine print talks about capacity controls. It is going to be crazy packed! I'll pass.

But they can add a free day on to my June DLR ressie! :blush::thumbsup:

BugeyedMuggy
01-01-2012, 07:54 AM
I'll pass. Sounds like a park to avoid that day.

March Hare
01-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Get there early! The fine print talks about capacity controls. It is going to be crazy packed! I'll pass.

sorry to burst your bubble but the extra day is only for trips booked for Feb 26 - March 10th

From the Disney "One More Day" site

Spend an extra night for free at either a Disneyland Resort Hotel or a Walt Disney World Resort hotel when you book a Room and Ticket Package for 3 nights or more, between February 26 and March 10, 2012. Purchase before January 31, 2012.

TinkerbellT421
01-01-2012, 10:20 AM
sorry to burst your bubble but the extra day is only for trips booked for Feb 26 - March 10th

AND from my understanding, if you get any sort of "discount" package, not exactly sure what they consider "discount" package, but you are not eligible for the "free" day. Huge waste of time and not a deal at all. That is IMO.

My question is, are they deciding NOT to offer ANY discount packages for this time frame to make it look like there "free" day is a deal? As to not let people do the math and realize they are losing money instead of gaining anything?

CleveSJM
01-01-2012, 10:48 AM

I know, hence the winky and blush. Just kidding. Adding a day to all 2012 3day plus ressies would have been worth the announcement.

Terra
01-01-2012, 10:51 AM
I can't even stay awake until 10pm these days. Ahhh being 'old' AND having 2 young children!:secret:

Yeah, as exciting as it sounds in theory, I'm not a fan of shoulder to shoulder people.

But anyone who is there, I hope you have a grand time :)

PopPhan
01-01-2012, 10:53 AM
AND from my understanding, if you get any sort of "discount" package, not exactly sure what they consider "discount" package, but you are not eligible for the "free" day.

Discounts include, but are not limited to:

-AAA Room/Package discounts
-Room Only discounts
-DVC/AP discounts
-PIN Code offers
-"Free Dining" offers
-"Kids Stay and Play Free" offers
-Direct mail offers -- snail mail or e-mail
-etc........

If you have any other offer that gives you something, or lowers the cost of a stay by ANY amount, you would not be eligible for this promotion.

Personal opinion...Contact your travel agent (hopefully someone at Magical Journeys!!) and have them run the numbers to see what the best pricing option is for you.

Donald A
01-01-2012, 01:00 PM

That was my first thought when I saw the annoucement last evening.

Trev&Ev Mom
01-01-2012, 01:17 PM
We were a bit disappointed with the announcement. I guess if you live in FL (we do not) and have the opportunity to try to spend 24 hours in the park, its a fun thing to do. Its also a nice way for Disney to try and fill rooms in an otherwise slow few weeks. Maybe next promotion will be better...

BrerGnat
01-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I read elsewhere that the 24 hour thing is only for WDW resort guests...at least, past a certain time. Is that not the case?

In any event, I don't see how this is so much different from the EMH until 3am followed by a 7am opening we experienced during our last trip a few weeks ago. Not like I can even stay out past midnight these days anyway...

Lakin
01-01-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't see how this is so much different from the EMH until 3am followed by a 7am opening.

That's what I was thinking.......

Melanie
01-01-2012, 01:46 PM
I read elsewhere that the 24 hour thing is only for WDW resort guests...at least, past a certain time. Is that not the case?.

If that's the case, then this is REALLY lame! And again....locals/AP holders are left out.

Fangorn
01-01-2012, 03:13 PM
The official CM FAQs regarding the 2/29 event include this:

Will a Guest need a special ticket for One More Disney Day?

No. The special event will be open to all Guests with a valid ticket for one-day admission to the respective park, including annual or seasonal passes.

I read this as meaning there are no restrictions as long as you have a valid admission.

Steve

Fangorn
01-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Also, while getting a free day sounds impressive, one free day added to a full-price 3-day stay amounts to a 25% discount. Assuming they will add an additional day to longer stays as well, the discount gets less as the number of days increases. Not particularly impressive (other than as a marketing gimick).

Steve

Polynesian Dweller
01-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Not particularly impressive (other than as a marketing gimick).

And of course it was an advertising gimmick. And likely not just for Disney Parks but also to advertise Dick Clark's New Year's Eve show. It might be that this was mostly about advertising Dick Clark than anything else.

March Hare
01-01-2012, 03:43 PM
My question is, are they deciding NOT to offer ANY discount packages for this time frame to make it look like there "free" day is a deal? As to not let people do the math and realize they are losing money instead of gaining anything?

Actually they are offering a 20%(value),25%(moderate),and 30%(deluxe and villas) off for that time frame it is under special offers

I ran the numbers 4 nights at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness with base tickets For 6(one child ticket)

One More Day Offer: $2617.73

Room Only Offer (had to add the tickets): $2814.58

7 Nights at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness with base tickets for 6(one child ticket)

One More Day Offer: $4043.81

Room Only offer: $4048.50

Which makes the One More Day offer better for a short trip so there is a savings but the longer the trip the less it is worth it

Septbride2002
01-01-2012, 03:56 PM
For those good at reading and comprehending fine print (aka. legaleaze) is there a catch to those who can get into the park for the extended hours. We are going with a party of 9 - some will have AP's and some will have MYW Park hoppers. Will the AP holders be able to get in? All reservations are done via DVC.

~Amanda

brivers222
01-01-2012, 04:08 PM
In any event, I don't see how this is so much different from the EMH until 3am followed by a 7am opening we experienced during our last trip a few weeks ago. Not like I can even stay out past midnight these days anyway...

The only big difference is that they won't be able to do their self proclaimed needed maintenance on the Monorails... poor things are going to be busted ;)

Fangorn
01-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Will the AP holders be able to get in?

Apparently, they will. See my post above.

Steve

Goes4FastPass
01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
I agree with whoever said, "This is not much different (or any better) than days MK is open 7am to EMH 3am".

Yes, I'm old but who really wants to be in the MK at 5am on Feb 29th especially if it's

Cold
Special occasion crowded
The middle of the week
People staying even a few days at WDW MUST sleep sometime. I can see how this might be fun for young local AP holders who can stay up all night then "call in" March 1st.

BrerGnat
01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
I agree with whoever said, "This is not much different (or any better) than days MK is open 7am to EMH 3am".

Yes, I'm old but who really wants to be in the MK at 5am on Feb 29th especially if it's

Cold
Special occasion crowded
The middle of the week
People staying even a few days at WDW MUST sleep sometime. I can see how this might be fun for young local AP holders who can stay up all night then "call in" March 1st.

Yup. I would have been able to do this 15 years ago, easy. Back then, I was in college and worked at a video store that stayed open until midnight. My day didn't even start until 2am. ;) But, I'm old now. Even if I WANTED to do this, I'd be outta there by midnight, probably.

I would guess that March 1 will be a pretty sparse day, crowd wise, at the MK. Most people will probably be sleeping all day!