PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Fire

DVC2004
12-30-2011, 10:01 AM
So I got home from work last night and there was this horrible smell. My DH and kids had been home all day... at the same time, my son came down to say his TV was making noise and turned off. We went up there and the room was slightly smokey- and there was the distinct smell on an electrical fire! I am not really sure what happened but we unplugged the TV and removed it from the house. It's an old tv probably 15 years old. Just glad we were home when this happened! I imagine if we weren't, the house might have burned down. Scary!!!

faline
12-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Glad all turned out well for you!

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-30-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm glad it was quickly sorted and no one was hurt.

We had a similar situation a few years ago when an old microwave just decided to up and die ... a few flames inside, but I was right there to unplug it and no harm was done.

TinkerbellT421
12-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Just the thought of electrical fires simply scare me!! So glad to hear nothing too serious!

DizneyRox
12-30-2011, 11:35 AM
If youre not sure it was the TV you might want want to get a sparky to the house to check the outlets. Ive seen shoddy workmanship on new construction that was enough to cause arcing inside the electrical boxes in the walls.

With older construction, temperature changes over the years can loosen screws, etc and cause trouble.

New electrical code calls for arc fault breakers in bedrooms for safety. That's something to look at as well, but they are expensive. Remember though, safety third!

DVC2004
12-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks I will look into a sparky just to be safe. The house is 12 years old but it was a new construction. It seemed to be the TV, there were other things in his room/outlet plugged in that seemed unaffected. But I am not an electrical expert so I would feel better checking everything out.

Ed
12-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Glad it wasn't more than some smoke and stink.

Sounds like it might also be an opportune time to check your smoke detectors, too.

DVC2004
12-30-2011, 12:24 PM
It's funny- the detectors never went off? We have one on each floor, and the one on that floor is actually right outside his room. We replaced the batteries a month ago and I know they work because I created some cooking smoke last week and all 3 went off... but they did not go off for this. Strange too because the whole house reeks of it since yesterday.

DizneyRox
12-30-2011, 07:57 PM
In these parts, smoke detectors are required INSIDE all bedrooms, as well as outside and at least one on each floor... Costs a mint each time In need to change batteries too!

If it was inside the bedroom, no smoke detector inside that room, and the door was closed, no alarm isn't all that surprising...