PDA

View Full Version : Time for Lord of the Rings Land?

Gator
12-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Of course, I'm drawing on my all-time favorite movie here. But with Universal expanding their Harry Potter world, Disney needs to do something to attract fans of "nerd" movies. No, I'm not insulting anyone. I'm one of those nerds. DHS attracts Star Wars "nerds". Universal attracts Harry Potter "nerds".

The simple truth is that nerds spend money to see their favorite films come to life. Avatar is just too cool and mainstream to really attract a whole host of people who will regularly spend money to see it. See it once - yes. See it over and over - no.

What would happen if they brought Tolkien's world to life. Imagine getting to walk through Rivendale and the Shire, experience Sauron's Screaming Tower of Barud-Dur, or ride Escape from Mount Doom. That is something this "nerd" and countless other nerds would spend money yearly to go experience.

Any other ideas for a land that would attract repeat customers?

DVC2004
12-28-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't know. See, I think the movie themed lands are more Universal's deal. I would enjoy a Lord of the Rings area, wouldn't call myself obsessed with it but def appreciate the movies and I could imagine the theming and rides would be great. I can take or leave Star Wars (sorry!). I am not thrilled about Avatar coming there. I just don't think movie "lands" fit in at Disney overall unless of course at MGM.

Renfairwedding
12-28-2011, 01:56 PM
That would be way cool!...

T-Belle
12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Oooooohhhh...I like that idea!!

Jared
12-28-2011, 02:56 PM
There is speculation that Universal is already in discussions to acquire the "Lord of the Rings" franchise for its parks. Essentially, Universal is doing everything it possibly can to continue closing its grip on Disney's throat in Florida.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
12-28-2011, 03:21 PM
My DD would say - Star Trek - but she's a HUGE Trekkie!

ransam
12-28-2011, 04:11 PM
they do have the Avatar land going in AK.

Gator
12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
There is speculation that Universal is already in discussions to acquire the "Lord of the Rings" franchise for its parks.

That would be the final straw for me to finally give up a few Disney days and go to Universal. Disney is just too slow and they're going to lose people unless they pull their heads out.

Jared
12-28-2011, 05:27 PM
That would be the final straw for me to finally give up a few Disney days and go to Universal. Disney is just too slow and they're going to lose people unless they pull their heads out.
I think you will find that time has probably already come. I have given up a day at Disney on my past two trips for Universal, and that will continue on my next one. I'm starting to think that Universal may warrant two days--one isn't enough to enjoy both parks.

I actually prefer Universal Studios overall, but the Forbidden Journey ride (the best attraction in Florida, for my money) makes Islands of Adventure a must-visit these days.