PDA

View Full Version : POFQ or POR

alymom96
12-27-2011, 03:52 PM
For the first time in 8 years, we are returning to Disney. We are sooo excited. We are trying to decide if we should stay at Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter. I will be traveling with my DH, DD-15 years, and DS - 13 years. We are planning our stay for April 7 - 14th 2012. Any thoughts on which would be better?:cloud9:

Strmchsr
12-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Honestly, I like them both, and you'll find folks who are die hard supporters of both. I guess it's more the atmosphere you want. I think POR is probably more fun for kids with a little more to do. POFQ is a little quieter and more romantic. But, do you want a New Orleans theme or an Old South theme? Can't go wrong either way.

E-OR
12-27-2011, 06:11 PM
We love POFQ and have stayed here 6 times. We have 2 boys and always get a roll away for one of them. I called before we left for our last trip when we found out that the rooms now have queen beds to make sure we could get the roll away. We were told that we could but when we got there the front desk told us that since the queen beds were put in they can not put a roll away in the rooms. Was a major bummer for us. We know that a lot of families have kids sleep together but our boys don't. We asked if we could switch to POR since they did not have the queen beds and we could get a roll away. They told us we could but would cost us a lot more to move there. Needless to say we stayed at POFQ with one kid sleeping on the floor (we went to Wallmart and got a blow up mattress). Worked out fine but was just a little bit of a hassle. I bring this up because I see you have two kids of the opposite sex and not sure how you work out sleeping accomodations. We still love POFQ for it's size, food court, boat to DD and pool. We will stay here again when it's workable for our family but other wise will stay where we can still get a roll away. We also love the Deluxe resorts that offer bunks and wish that the moderates would do this as well. Both resorts are very nice!!

Briansmom
12-27-2011, 06:35 PM
While we stay in POFQ, we enjoy using the amenities of both resorts. POFQ suits our family's needs since we have a special needs child...it's smaller than POR and easier to get around. Our DS13 also likes the pool slide at POFQ better (which we found out on this last trip!). But he is our special child so typical children might like the longer, curvier slide at POR's pool. BUT we usually go rent a bike at POR and also discovered their food court this last trip as well. So just keep in mind that even though you stay at one, since they are sister resorts you can enjoy what both of them have to offer! :mickey:

andmomlau
01-02-2012, 09:08 PM
We have never stayed at POFQ, but have stayed at POR several times...most recently last month. When our children were younger, we stayed there 3 or 4 times...we then started staying at WL because of the son/daughter as you mentioned, needing bunk beds. They are refurbishing rooms gradually at POR and we were lucky enough to get a refurbed room this last trip....wherever you decide, you'll be in Disney...what could be better???

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-02-2012, 09:18 PM
They are both smaller resorts and not as spread out as other moderates. But if your children will not share a bed, then POR with the fold down bed is your best bet.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Be careful if you are actually planning on the fold down bed at POR. My DD, at age 13, didn't come even remotely close to fitting on that bed, and we had to get a roll-away (not an easy feat, let me tell you!). Granted, she's very tall (14 now, and 5'8"), but a lot of teenagers are darn tall these days.

We prefer POFQ, but with teens, the pool at POR is a bit more fun than the one at POFQ, and the food court at POR has a wider variety of food. We just like the small layout and quiet, laid-back feeling of POFQ. POR is always "busy". Never seems to really quiet down, even on those 26 mile marathons to the AB rooms. Do love the bullfrogs there though. Make me laugh every time.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-03-2012, 09:13 AM
We love both POR and POFQ, but now stay at POFQ for each trip.

POR is great. It is a large, spread-out resort with winding paths and dense vegetation. A great place to explore and "get away". The main pool is better at POR, and there are a number of quiet pools, so swimming is better at POR. The food court is also larger, with more choices.

POFQ is a very small, compact resort. Nothing is too far of a walk, which is great after a long day in the parks. The theming is French Quarter, with "streets" and "houses". It is very well done. The food court is good, not as large at POR, but still yummy and the pool is fine, but better for littler kids.

All in all, you can't go wrong with either! POFQ was refurbished last year, and POR is being refurbished now, so both will be bright and new.

Enjoy your trip!

Wolf
01-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Does POFQ have elevators on all the builidings? I'm thinking about us staying here for our 10 day next Oct and I really like the idea of a small resort plus southern theming is my kinda deal. My only concern is with the pictures I've looked at I havent seen elevators, my mom has a bad knee so we can't do stairs. Can anyone dispell my fear so I can go ahead and book? ^.^ Thanks yall! :mickey:

Strmchsr
01-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Can anyone dispell my fear so I can go ahead and book? ^.^ Thanks yall! :mickey:

I'm honestly not sure about that. I've stayed at POFQ a bunch of times. I'm sure there are elevators, but they aren't very convenient if there are. I don't recall ever using an elevator at POFQ. You can always request a ground floor.

sgdisney
01-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Buildings in POFQ have elevators, located in the center of the building. The mansion buildings at POR have elevators but the AB buildings are only 2 stories and do not.