PDA

View Full Version : Parks Close Due to Capacity?

MN_Rose
12-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Hi Mouse-Lovers, I'm at Caribbean Beach and there's a flyer here that says the parks might close during the next week due to capacity. If they close for capacity do they open the park back up later after people start to leave? Does it happen often? My daughter and I prefer to sleep in and go to the parks later. Thank you all and Merry Christmas!

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Does it happen often? No.

Does it happen? Yes.

There will someone with the "details" of thee stages of the closings, but yes, as parks hit capacity, they do close. First to outside guests, and eventually to all guests.

Yes, as people leave additional people will be let in, but in can be just crazy!

stitchingirl
12-23-2011, 09:57 PM
I can't speak for the big 4 parks, but I have been told to come back later at the water parks because they were at capacity. This was in the middle of July, or August though. The castmembers told us to come back at about 2:00 pm. :mickey:

elmjimmlm
12-23-2011, 10:14 PM
We were there a few years ago on New Years Eve and the park that we were in closed around 10am and I know that there were people coming in later that evening...We were afraid to leave and not be able to get back in so we were in MK for 16 hours...It was nuts but it was a lot of fun...Have a great time...:mickey:

MN_Rose
12-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the clarification! I know it's going to be crazy inside, but hopefully, we'll just enjoy the atmosphere.

FaithTrustPixieDust
12-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Does anyone know of a mobile phone app that would keep us posted on park capacity/closings? I've got a few mobile apps that tell us about wait times, parade schedules, etc. However, I don't think crowd levels were included. Wouldn't that be handy?? Esp if you are there during Christmas, Spring Break, etc?? :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
12-24-2011, 09:07 PM
If they close for capacity do they open the park back up later after people start to leave?
. . . yes
. . . but, not one-for-one
. . . a few leaved, then they let a few more in

Does it happen often?
. . . look for MK to close on Christmas
. . . also NYE and maybe New Year's
. . . the other parks will be crowded
. . . but the others haven't closed for capacity

My daughter and I prefer to sleep in and go to the parks later.
. . . good plan
. . . except for MK on Christmas and NYEs

MickeysBestPal
12-24-2011, 09:52 PM
. . . look for MK to close on Christmas
. . . also NYE and maybe New Year's
. . . the other parks will be crowded
. . . but the others haven't closed for capacity

DHS has closed (don't remember which "stage") in the past due to over-capacity crowds.

Epcot (though very, very rare) has closed, but that was on/near NYE 1999-2000, the false (but celebrated) "turn of the century."

DAK has not yet closed due to over-capacity, but that park has such short hours and no evening spectacular that it is less-attended, even on busy holidays.

TheRustyScupper
12-25-2011, 08:03 PM
DHS has closed (don't remember which "stage") in the past due to over-capacity crowds.

Epcot (though very, very rare) has closed, but that was on/near NYE 1999-2000, the false (but celebrated) "turn of the century."

1) I stand corrected.
2) I was not aware of DHS Stage-4 closing.
3) I thought Epcot only hit Stage-1 capacity on NYE.

MickeysBestPal
12-26-2011, 10:23 AM
1) I stand corrected.
2) I was not aware of DHS Stage-4 closing.
3) I thought Epcot only hit Stage-1 capacity on NYE.

2) Neither you nor I mentioned anything about Stage 4.

4) I said nothing about which Stage of closing Epcot reached.

AmandaChan
12-26-2011, 12:26 PM
The thought of going to WDW during the holidays seems exciting but I never ever want to be at the parks when they are at capacity. I know it did happen on Christmas day last year.. I can not even imagine being in the parks on capacity. Nooo thanks!

BrerGnat
12-26-2011, 01:12 PM
It happened at MK three times (consecutive days) in one week, last year, in the week leading up to Easter.

brdavis
12-26-2011, 01:37 PM
I've only been in a capacity close situation once - MK on 3 July. We got a late start and entered around 10 AM, and were immediately shunted right and out into the CM spaces (parking lot), then into TL. By 10:30 AM MK was completely closed. Walking was an adventure (and, honestly, it was sort of cool... this was a "first experience" for us at WDW, so we valued it for what it was... odd and unique :) ).

The neat thing was we stuck it out, and by the afternoon the crowds were manageable, and by evening... well, let's just say that they run the 4 July show the night before as well, and it's a real treat to experience it in FL with literally walkways so empty you can lay down on the ground to watch everything above you.

Yes, they can close due to capacity. Sometimes they re-open. But it's hard to out-guess several thousand other people, all who are trying to out-guess you. Transportation around WDW is so efficient now I wonder about "flash mob" type fluctuations (and how Disney smoothes them out).

--
Brian Davis

TheRustyScupper
12-26-2011, 08:05 PM
2) Neither you nor I mentioned anything about Stage 4.

1) Aha.
2) Stupid language, English.
3) Can't always know what the other is thinking.
4) Next time, sign language.

LudwigVonDrake
12-28-2011, 02:28 PM
To the OP: I hope you're having a great time despite the crowds :tink:

ransam
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM
i thought if you were staying on property you could get in even if the park closes?

and i remember many moons ago, we went during easter and the traffic to get in was just terrible...and the park did close right after we got in. Of course back then i think MK was the only park open.

Main Street Jim
12-29-2011, 09:37 PM
i thought if you were staying on property you could get in even if the park closes?If the park gets to a Stage 4 closing, then NO ONE is admitted after that. :) Stage 3 closing, is resort guests only, and you have to show your room key(s) along with your ticket(s) if it's not on the key. I forget what 1 and 2 are exactly.