PDA

View Full Version : Going with someone who is not excited...

ImagiAsh
12-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Myself: Practically a Disney fan since birth. I am 24 years old and grew up with The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc. I used to vacation with my family to WDW every three years as a kid. Not obsessed, but just have a genuine appreciation for the engineering and design that goes into making the magic.

Boyfriend: Vacationed once with his family when he was 10 and does not remember much of it. Appreciates Disney films, but can't recall what (if anything) was so amazing about Disney World itself.

After a year of withholding from asking the big question, I finally proposed the idea of visiting Disney World in late April 2012. His immediate response was "sure." It has been a few weeks since that point and I have been busy getting excited silently, as I scroll through the forums here at Intercot and research new things to do. (Mind you, my last trip was almost five years ago).

I update him every so often on things such as the airline tickets I purchased and the resorts I'm looking at, but am trying not to be overbearing. However, any time I bring it up, I get responses such as: "why are we going to Disney again?" or "what are we even going to do?" I am almost certain he didn't get the full Disney Experience the first time he went. In fact, he thinks Disney World is just the Magic Kingdom.

I feel a little bit alone in my excitement for this trip, but I know him and I know he will just give me a hard time until we go and then end up loving it. Anyone else in a similar situation? Any advice?

SBETigg
12-23-2011, 12:23 PM
The hope is that he'll catch the excitement once you get there. I really wanted to honeymoon at WDW, and my husband had never been. He thought I was a little wacky. He expected a Six Flags kind of park experience and that it would get old fast. But once he got his first glimpse, he was blown away. When we checked into our resort, he knew that we would have plenty to enjoy whether we were relaxing or on the go and he felt better. And then when we actually hit the MK... he understood and he became a Disney lover, too.

I think maybe your boyfriend has the same kind of expectation, that it's just a park, and he has no idea what to really expect. It might not get better until he gets there. Just try not to overload him on information and say "Just wait til you see..." and let it unfold for him. I think that's the best way to win him over. Unfortunately, some people are never won over, and I really hope he isn't one of those. But chances are that your enthusiasm and seeing all that WDW has to offer once you're there will convince him. I think it's impossible for anyone to conceive just how much there is to see and do, both in parks and beyond, at WDW until arrival.

LVT
12-23-2011, 02:12 PM
I hope you got the water park options. That alone should spell vacation.

Niecyboo
12-23-2011, 04:29 PM
I think this is common. I still remember the first time I was taking my DH. He had no interest in hearing about the restaurants or rides or anything and just couldn't understand why we would fly all the way down to Florida and then spend a whole week at "Just one place." Once he saw all there was, and truly experienced it he became very excited. Now he is often bugging ME about when we can go back. Fast forward to 2 years ago when we took my Mom on her first cruise (Disney). Whenever we tried to get her involved in the planning she'd say "This is really the kids vacation, I'm just going to see them have fun." It took her 10 minutes of being pampered before she was in love and by the last night she was telling us "I'll just say my goodbye's now... because in the morning nobody will be able to find me. I'm never getting off the ship." LOL. I think some people just don't understand the magic of Disney until they experience it. A few never really do come around but I'm sure he'll still have fun going with you no matter what.

NJGIRL
12-23-2011, 05:46 PM
We were married for three years when I brought up a Disney trip to my husband. He had never been but said he would go. He too, ask me what we were going to do there for 7 days. Even though I explained to him about the three parks and one Universal park he still didn't understand. Once we got there he couldn't believe how big the parks were and how much there was to do. He had a great time.

We now go every other year and sometimes two years in a row. I have to warn you, my husband still doesn't get excited before the trip and really doesn't want to help with the planning or hear about the planning over and over again. He has a great time once we are there but isn't obsessed with Disney.

Just because your boyfriend isn't excited about the trip doesn't mean that he isn't going to have a good time.

AmandaChan
12-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Like others have said, just wait until he gets there. No one understands the magic until they've experienced it. The first time I went to wdw I really didn't have much of an opinion (two day free visit with a cast member and ex boyfriend) but that changed my whole perspective and has made me a wdw fan for life!

DVC2004
12-26-2011, 03:45 PM
My husband doesn't really get into planning or talking about it. He never has. He might input where he wants to eat and that is about it. When it gets closer to the time he will sometimes ask about what days we are at what parks. Other than that he does not really want to talk about it. I"ll ask him do you want this or do you want to go here or there on this day? He says I don't care do whatever. I'll ask him do you want tto stay here or here. Usually he will answer that one. He always has good time when we get there (hey' he's on vacation) but just does not care about planning and discussing beforehand. I am sure your BF will have alot of fun when he gets there and will want to go back.

kemps@wdw
12-29-2011, 11:03 PM
As a Disney fanatic and a WDW veteran, it's hard for me to understand how "muggles" (non-magical folk) can't understand my love for WDW! That being said, it's obvious that your bf only sees WDW as a place for children. he just needs to know that it's so much more! I think he'll be pleasantly surprised to see how many of us older folks still go to WDW with/without kids or grandkids and have a WONDERFUL time.

Terra
12-30-2011, 10:05 AM
My husband is much the same way. He has been once to EPCOT with me. It wasn't that bad he said, but he's just not interested. That was pre-kids. He's actually kind of excited about our March trip since we have 2 sons now and they adore it!

I agree to maybe not over inflate the "fun and magic of it all". Sometimes going in with preconceived notions leads to more disappointment.

I'd maybe even start with EPCOT, the more "grown up" park as I tell my husband. Rich in culture and fun! Do a lot of those "little things" often overlooked as mentioned in other threads.

Maybe even a couple of the "cheaper tours" like Behind the Seeds at EPCOT may be fun!

Hope you have a most magical trip! :)