PDA

View Full Version : Why can't you do 2 laps on Space Mountain?

frozman
12-23-2011, 02:41 AM
Does anyone know the reason why CMs won't let you do 2 (or more) laps on Space Mountain if no one is waiting in line?
Space Mountain is usually where I head to at the rope drop, and after my 1st ride I almost always arrive back into the station and no one is waiting in line, but the CMs require everyone to exit, and opt to dispatch completely empty trains.
I've always been baffled at this. I know some theme park companies simply don't allow "rerides", but Disney is not one of them. I have been allowed to stay on Splash Mountain (DL and WDW), Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (DL), Tower of Terror (DCA), Star Tours (DHS) and Gadget's go Coaster (DL) for multiple laps if my vehicle arrives back in the station (or the ride ends) and no one is waiting in line.
Anyone who has been on it knows that Space Mountain at Disneyland has to be the most inconvenient ride to get back in line for as it is quite a hike from the exit side of the station back to the entrance side, I really wish they'd let you do that there.

Niecyboo
12-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Huh. That's odd. Many years ago (mid 1980s) we were at the park on a very quiet, rainy December day and this is the one ride I remember riding over and over again. Most of the time they didn't even make us get off and back on. We just kept going around and around with just a stop to ask if we wanted to go again. Of course, this was way before the refurb and this was mid-day and there still weren't any people waiting, so I don't think it would work at today's Disneyland.

Allenfow98
12-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I am pretty sure it is because where you exit the coaster is not the same place that you enter it, there is a seperate station for entering and exiting.
All of the other rides you mentioned have only one station, the ride ends up back where it started.
it is the same as Rock n roller coaster, you have to get off at a seperate station, and then the coaster car leaves and goes to the entrance station empty.
I think it also has to do with the lap bar, shoulder harness. When you get off at the exit station, all the seats are unlocked, to make it faster for the entering passengers at the entrance. It is probably against insurance policies to let paasengers ride in the car without protection.

tinkwest
12-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Does anyone know the reason why CMs won't let you do 2 (or more) laps on Space Mountain if no one is waiting in line?

Don't know. I've seen people go through for a second time.

I am pretty sure it is because where you exit the coaster is not the same place that you enter it, there is a seperate station for entering and exiting.

It DOES load and unload at the same stop, so that would not be the answer.

frozman
12-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Allenfow, you are probably thinking of Floridas Space Mountain which does in fact have a seperate loading and unloading station. In California it's just like Test Track or Splash Mountain, as you step out, the next riders (if any) step in. I could certainly understand that being the reason if that's the way ride was though.

I guess I'm just dealing with the wrong CMs on Space Mountain. 9/10 I get a re ride on another attraction they ask me if I want to go again, not the other way around. On Tower of Terror in California which loads and unloads in the same place, we had no idea that there was no one in line, but the bellhop stepped in the elevator and said "anyone want to ride again".

Allenfow98
12-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah , i realized you were refering to the DL ride a bout 10 seconds after i made my reply.

That being the case, the only thing i can think of is that the cast member is having a bad day and/or being grumpy/miserable and wanting to share that attitude with everyone around them.

If we are at the exit of a ride and no one is waiting and they dont offer us a reride, we kinda of playfully tease them about letting us ride again.