PDA

View Full Version : Late December trip meal reviews

sicemdawgs
12-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Just got back last night from 4 days at WDW. We had the dining plan so I thought I'd share our thoughts for those planning trips:

Saturday:

Coral Reef for lunch:

Meh. I had the Lobster Ravioli which was ok, but nothing special. Had some nice cheese shavings on top, but was a pretty small serving. I filled upon a bread though, which was really good.

Wife had the salmon. It was better than the ravioli but wasn't great.

The waiter was slow and not particularly friendly. He wasn't awful, but didn't do anything to make the meal fun or memorable. I got the sense he lost interest in us when we didn't order wine with our meals, lol.

Both dishes were presented nicely, though. We both got the Chocolate Wave for desert which was really good, but the kids ice cream sundaes actually looked better, lol.

Speaking of kids, the kids meals were awful. Both got "pizza" that looked like it was a frozen microwaved pizza. The gulf between adult entrees and kids meals at TS restaurants shouldn't be so huge. My 8 year old appreciates good food and we don't feed him pizza, chicken fingers and hamburgers at every meal. Would be nice to have something good to order. The kids meals at Outback or Fridays are better than the WDW kids meals at TS restaurants.

Flaming Tree for lunch on Sunday at AK. Excellent as usual. Ribs and chicken combo was enough food for two and the ribs were better than Whispering Canyon, imo. Also got an order of onion rings (out of pocket) and fries (DDP snack) to share. Rings were great, fries pretty ordinary. If Flaming Tree was in my town I would eat there and think it was a reasonable value.

Earl of Sandwich for dinner Sunday. Downtown Disney is insane. Why don't they build a parking deck? EofS is a must do for us when we visit. Asian Salad was good, but hard to split because they shoved it into a cutesy Asian takeout box. (We always split a sandwich and salad between my wife and I). The club style sandwich was excellent too.

My son wanted a hot dog so I wasted a CS credit at the hot dog stand near the stage. Thought it might be a good dog like at Casey's but it was more like a gas station hot dog. The CS meal came with chips and a stale cookie and bottle drink. Easily the worst use of a CS credit we made.

Cinderella's Royal Table on Monday. Two table service credits, but worth it. Great server, great food. I had the pork three ways which was really good, served on some kind of a corn meal cake. Wife got the short rib which was likewise very good. Kids meals were ok. My four year old was more excited about having a bowl of corn than about the princesses, lol. This was a lot more fun than I thought it would be and my daughter isn't really into princesses that much. It uses two TS credits, but it's nice that it includes the tip, so you save around 20 bucks that way.

Pecos Bill on Monday night. Very tasty burger (bbq with onion ring and bacon), but not really remarkable otherwise. The topping bar is nice because my kids love tomatoes to it gives them some fresh food instead of just fries and nuggests. Good place to fill up.

Whispering Canyon at lunch on Tuesday. We called an audible on Tuesday by going here. We had been planning to go to Boma for breakfast on Wednesday but changed on Tuesday to get away from the massive crowds. Glad we did! We all got the skillet with ribs, chicken, sausage and sides. Everything was really good and the waitress was a lot of fun. It was also really relaxing to take a few hours away from the park to ride the boat over the the Wilderness Lodge. WE felt recharged when we went back. Definitely will do again.

Melanie
12-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks for your reviews! I agree with you for the most part. Love Flame Tree and Whispering Canyon.

jillluvsdisney
12-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the reviews. It's too bad Disney sets the bar so low on kids dining choices. I think it would be nice to see some chicken breasts or some pasta options for them instead.

ElenitaB
12-22-2011, 08:25 PM
My 8 year old appreciates good food and we don't feed him pizza, chicken fingers and hamburgers at every meal. Would be nice to have something good to order. The kids meals at Outback or Fridays are better than the WDW kids meals at TS restaurants.
There are a few exceptions to the rule (like Chefs de France and Kouzzina, off the top of my head), but you do make a good point.

Thanks for sharing your reviews.

Crow
12-23-2011, 04:02 PM
have Cindy booked for Feb (if we make it this time) for gf and I. I never really wanted to eat there other than to see inside the castle but figured she might like it.
Was thinking of CR for the ambiance but didnt book it.
Flame Tree I remembered being good.
want to try Earl so might this time
WCC never struck me as that great t times I tried it
thanks for the reviews

Kenny1113
12-23-2011, 05:45 PM
The gulf between adult entrees and kids meals at TS restaurants shouldn't be so huge. My 8 year old appreciates good food and we don't feed him pizza, chicken fingers and hamburgers at every meal. Would be nice to have something good to order.

I agree!!!!

Jeff
12-23-2011, 06:31 PM
thanks for the reviews!:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the reviews

TinkerbellT421
01-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the reviews!:mickey: