PDA

View Full Version : Historical aspects of the parks

ryca1dreams
12-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Aside from sentimental longings, what structures, streets, pieces of buildings, attractions, or odds & ends are your favorite for remembering in its former life. Basically, something you look at and say "Oh I remember when this was...."

For example, the dock that used to be for the Swan Boats.

Odd question, I know, but I'd like to see if things turn up that I don't know about.

And no mentioning Horizons! :mickey:

Zawadi
12-22-2011, 12:47 PM
PhilharMagic building was The Legend of the Lion King (changed in 2003)

Belle1984
12-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Whenever I'm at Pleasure Island I miss New Year's every night. And also I miss the pirate photo at the POC. We did it on three trips when I was younger before they stopped it. I wish we could have kept the tradition....:(

DisnIse
12-22-2011, 01:36 PM
I keep trying to explain what the "Skyway" used to be to my kids as we walk from Space Mountain toward Fantasyland. THOSE were the greatest....

Zawadi
12-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Whenever I'm at Pleasure Island I miss New Year's every night. And also I miss the pirate photo at the POC. We did it on three trips when I was younger before they stopped it. I wish we could have kept the tradition....:(

I miss the Adventurers' Club and Comedy Warehouse at PI. Both building now look in a forlorn state.

PETE FROM NYC
12-22-2011, 06:06 PM
PhilharMagic building was The Legend of the Lion King (changed in 2003)

To pre-date that a bit, on my first trip in 1975, that building housed the Mickey Mouse Revue. This was one of my favorite attractions way back then. At least I can still see it on youtube.

jillluvsdisney
12-22-2011, 06:41 PM
My dad always mentions how much he misses Mr Toad's Wild Ride. What is that now, Winnie the Pooh?

Back in 1980 or 1981 we ate the Polynesian. Back the Ohana was called Papeate Bay. I remember how awed we were by it.

SBETigg
12-22-2011, 07:33 PM
I always remember the way Downtown Disney used to be when it was just a quiet little shopping area with only a few stores and restaurants, with the Empress Lilly riverboat as the main attraction. The trees were all covered with twinkling white lights, and it was like an enchanted little fairy land away from the Magic Kingdom. It lost a lot of the magic for me when they made it bigger and busier as Pleasure Island. We hardly ever go to Downtown Disney.

Aurora
12-22-2011, 09:55 PM
When walking into Tomorrowland, I almost always miss the old fountains on both sides of the entrance. Also, on Main Street, there used to be a little quiet side street where the Emporium addition is now.

I also miss the 20,000 leagues lagoon, even when the ride was gone. They had a statue of King Triton before the Fantasyland expansion. Not that I'm complaining, really. I'm really looking forward to that whole area's next incarnation.

Polynesian Dweller
12-22-2011, 11:01 PM
I always remember the way Downtown Disney used to be when it was just a quiet little shopping area with only a few stores and restaurants, with the Empress Lilly riverboat as the main attraction. The trees were all covered with twinkling white lights, and it was like an enchanted little fairy land away from the Magic Kingdom. It lost a lot of the magic for me when they made it bigger and busier as Pleasure Island. We hardly ever go to Downtown Disney.

Oh I remember that. It was magical then and the Empress looked great with its paddle wheel turning. The current DTD has little of that magical feeling left.

waymickey
12-23-2011, 07:54 AM
I really miss the little boat ride at AK. I know it was lame but I always liked it. Also I remember when a character bus would ride into Epcot and all the characters would get out to of the bus and sing . Yes there was a meet and greet too. I also remember when characters ; mickey, donald and goofy i think, would fly in some weird little planes at Epcot over the water, it was awesome I have pictures of it in the early 90s.

natedog24
12-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I remember when characters used to just walk out and sign autographs and take pictures without the need for handlers. No lines to see them, and no fast passes, and no character meet and greet locations. Seeing a character was sort of luck of the draw and I think a little more fun.

ransam
12-23-2011, 02:08 PM
i always think of the Tarzan show when we go to the Nemo show. I like the Nemo show, but loved the tarzan show.

Zawadi
12-23-2011, 02:27 PM
i always think of the Tarzan show when we go to the Nemo show. I like the Nemo show, but loved the tarzan show.

We never liked the Tarzan show but miss its predecessor "Jungle Book"

Ian
12-23-2011, 02:35 PM
A couple standouts for me ...

I still miss If You Had Wings. Every time I ride the TTA and see those covered over windows on the left-hand side it reminds me of when you used to be able to look down into that portion of IYHW and see the Dunns River Falls scene.

Definitely miss Mr. Toad. Whenever I ride Pooh I always make a point of giving the Mr. Toad a salute as we ride by him.

And certainly the Skyway. That ride gave the best views I think I've ever seen.

And sometimes I like to pretend there's still a classic attraction featuring a certain purple dragon in Epcot. ;)

FiggyFan
12-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Every time I look into the main tank at the Living Seas, I think about the underwater passage that once was used to carry ride vehicles into the main part of the attraction.

It has been said that Walt Disney planned the entry process into the Magic Kingdom (several mile long access road, parking, ride from parking into TTC, ferry or monorail to MK entrance) as a way of transporting his guests from the real world into this magical world in stages. Living Seas originally took you through the same process (introductory film, hydrolators, underwater ride). The hydrolators were even used as part of the "return to the surface".

brdavis
12-26-2011, 02:58 PM
For me, one that stands out is 20k Leagues. I rode it as a kid, and loved the lagoon (and the Ariel M&G that went in overlooking it) as an adult. I was pleased to find the "hidden Nautilus" when the Thoughtful Spot went in (another thing I miss actually).

When we are out at DL, I love riding Mr Toad. And when out at DL riding Pooh, I always salute the mounted heads from Country Bear Jamboree. And in DW Pooh, I always look at Mr Toad handing over the deed.

Hmm. I just almost as much joy out of what's not there anymore as I do from having it there :)

--
Brian Davis

DVC2004
12-26-2011, 03:30 PM
I only went twice as as child, once in 1979 and once in 1991 so I don't remember alot. But I always remembered 20,000 Leagues from the 1991 trip. I wish my kids could have gotten to ride it (they did ride the Nemo Submarine attraction at Disneyland). I've always been fascinated with the world under the water. I remember where it was and before they filled it in.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
12-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Mr. Toad, 20,000 Leagues, A certain purple dragon's original ride, the former spontaneity of finding characters.

Kathy Jetson
12-27-2011, 12:33 AM
I miss the old spiel on the TTA:(

joonyer
12-27-2011, 03:03 PM
The old mile long bar.

RedHead
12-27-2011, 08:05 PM
I remember long before you could make reservations for meals a year in advance, before you could make reservations three months in advance - when you had to show up AT the restaurant first thing in the morning to make reservations for THAT day! Many a day we hauled tail at rope drop to get to King Stefan's Banquet Hall for reservations for lunch (hey, a decent meal at a decent price, in air conditioning at the hight of heat in the Florida sun!) before everyone else beat us to it!

Diamond Horseshoe Revue used to have lines for the seats, too....
:cloud9:

Jayna222
12-27-2011, 08:39 PM
I don't know why, but when I was little I really enjoyed the Penny Arcade on Main St. USA...

Katzateer
12-27-2011, 08:42 PM
I miss Chef Mickeys at the Empress Lily Downtown Disney and the Pluto autograph dog.

At MGM the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks.

And at EPCOT when I see the large gates in Worldshowcase I miss the Tapestry of Dreams parade

Katzateer
12-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Oh, and when the Crystal Palace at MK was a cafeteria

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
12-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Oh, the Penny Arcade - I'd forgotten about that. Hubby remembers having to purchase tickets per ride - when they 1st opened.

Jayna222
12-27-2011, 08:44 PM
I remember another thing too that I didn't add above....Delta Dreamflight where Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin is now....LOVED that ride when I was a kid ol

Auroring Good Time
12-28-2011, 12:53 PM
I do miss the Tapestry of Nations at Epcot, Tarzan at Animal Kingdom, and especially Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Victor Kelly
12-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Dang you have made my mind concentrate so late in the day:mickey:

The ferryboat docks at MK when they were not extended further into the water.

The contemporary with the massive arcade next to the main lobby.

Penny Arcade on Mainstreet.

No security checkpoints.

POTC pre-PC days when the men chased the women.

Jungle cruise when they had .22 blank revolvers.

The portrait hallway in HM. I still like the upgrades they did but miss the potraits eyes following us.

Skyway.

COP with Now is the time, now is the best time theme music.

If you had wings for sure.

The towering waterfalls of tomorrowland.

I miss the open expance in Adventureland during the pre-magic carpet days.

And to top it all off, I miss the days of no building ever being vacant, and no attraction being seasonal. A little off topic, but please forgive me.

Kaps
12-29-2011, 12:25 PM
20,000 leagues under the sea for me. Hopefully the new ride going there will be disney worthy

Auroring Good Time
12-29-2011, 01:04 PM
I forgot to mention Pleasure Island -mostly the Beach Club. I had many fun nights in that place.

kemps@wdw
12-29-2011, 09:06 PM
for me it's not something in any of the parks, it's the old River Country area and the old Discovery Island. I still look at my old photos of those and remember a kinder, gentler WDW :cloud9: