PDA

View Full Version : Free Parking?

stitchingirl
12-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Hi everyone,
Yesterday the family and I went to Hollywood Studios and there was free parking for EVERYONE. The cars were slowing down to go through the toll gates but the cast members were just waving people through. It was about 9:45 AM, so just about an hour after park opening. Was this just a weird Disney freebie or is it a holiday thing? Anyone know? :confused:

Main Street Jim
12-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Not sure, but it could've been because it was *super* busy (this time of year), and they were just trying to get people into the park. I have *never* heard of them doing this, though.

The one thing that comes closest to this that I can remember is, back in '98, when we went to MK during Christmas/New Year's, the attendants were directing cars to park in the grass out around the Walt Disney World Speedway, it was so busy - but, we still had to pay to park.

dnickels
12-21-2011, 07:49 PM
They were doing the same thing at DHS about a week and a half ago, though it was a bit later, around 6 PM Sat. evening. The line of cars going in was insane so I imagine it was just to get people in and through and not have them backing out onto the main roads any more than they already were.

greengeen
12-22-2011, 09:08 AM
When we were at WDW the weekend of Dec 10, we noticed the line to get into DHS was incredibly long... working it's way back to DTD. It's people wanting to see the Osbourne Lights. So I imagine at some point they realized they needed to start just waving people in. The entrance to that park is inadequate for really big crowds.

brivers222
12-22-2011, 10:02 AM
we arrived at 7:30pm this past sunday (EMH were from 9-12am) and there was nobody at the tolls... it didn't matter to us because we were staying onsite, but I do remember if you go to the parks later, they don't always charge you.

Buttercup
12-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Never heard of this happening! Wow! :confused:

I'm guessing it was either
a) they were being very generous for some reason (but it seems like they'd be missing out on a LOT of revenue?!?)
or b) everyone you saw being waved through happened to have a resort parking pass in their windshield (because they always park for free)

I know that in the evenings, when there is only an hour or so left in the park's opening that day, they just let everybody go in for free. But at 9:45 in the morning, that seems weird!

Victor Kelly
12-22-2011, 10:54 AM
This has happened before during the holidays. When we witnessed it, it was Christmas of 1984. So crowded at MK that we left after watching the parade and eating lunch. Then we went to EPCOT for the remainder of the day.

Altair
12-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm guessing it was either
a) they were being very generous for some reason (but it seems like they'd be missing out on a LOT of revenue?!?)
or b) everyone you saw being waved through happened to have a resort parking pass in their windshield (because they always park for free)

Many could also have been guests with valid parking tickets from other lots. i would guess, most entering late in the day would not need to pay. :mickey:

BowTie7
12-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Could also have been a computer problem with them just letting everyone through while the system was rebooted.

micky95
12-23-2011, 05:22 PM
it probably was for traffic backing up to the main road.we were just there and the line to get in was really backed up.its set up with one ticket booth and 2 lanes and you cant get people through fast enough if everyone has to stop.