PDA

View Full Version : Tips for light sleepers at values?

SandmanGStefani24
12-18-2011, 10:16 PM
I have to say I love the value resorts, and think they are fun and a good bargain when staying on property. However, the sound insulation issue is a tough one for me, as I like to sleep in while on vacation. I always seem to be placed next to a room where the people love to keep going in and out at like 7 am and insist on eating in their room. (what are the odds right? :D) Anyway, any tips for those who are light sleepers? What works and what doesn't? I have a handgun licence and wonder if my shooting protection will work. Any other tips or suggestions?

Just for the record the bathroom flushes don't seem to bug me. Weird right?

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
12-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Ear plugs. And set your cell phone for your alarm.

SandmanGStefani24
12-19-2011, 01:48 AM
hadnt thought of earplugs...

and am i the only one who doesnt use an alarm clock on vacation? seems like a contradiction. :mickey:

PopPhan
12-19-2011, 07:27 AM
A small 'white noise' machine might help. You could get used to the sound at home and use it to mask the outside sounds in the room.

I second the earplug idea as well. You can get the soft plugs, like the ones they use in machine shops, in many places for a reasonable price. (I just got some at work and brought them with me...never needed them myself, though.)

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
12-19-2011, 07:30 AM
The alarm clock suggestion is for those that do use it - your cell phone can be placed at a high volume AND you can set it to an extremely annoying tone that even with ear plugs you cannot ignore it.

But ear plugs do work.

disneynarula
12-19-2011, 07:39 AM
I always ask for a room away from the pool or food court areas. They always seem quieter and I don't mind the walk. One time we were put right in front of a main pool and it was awful. Apparently this was an upgrade.

Seasonscraps
12-19-2011, 09:57 AM
I take a tylenol or advil PM to help me sleep deeper so noises don't bother me. They keep me sleeping but I don't feel groggy in the morning.

MizMissy
12-19-2011, 10:32 AM
You can also find free white noise type of sleep apps for your smart phone. I downloaded rainmaker and a rainforest apps several months ago when my hotel room was located above a busy city street.

mom2morgan
12-20-2011, 11:59 AM
hadnt thought of earplugs...

and am i the only one who doesnt use an alarm clock on vacation? seems like a contradiction. :mickey:

It depends on the vacation! We always get up early at Disney as it is the best way to actually enjoy the parks before they get too crowded ;-)

CU Tiger
12-20-2011, 01:02 PM
I feel your pain! My DW can sleep through a tornado and cannot understand why I cannot sleep.
You can also use a small portable fan for the white noise effect. I do not think there is a way you can drown out the door shutting sound, especially if they are being slammed.:mickey:

NJDad
12-21-2011, 05:59 AM
The loudest noise from an adjacent room we ever experienced at WDW came at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, so these tips could come in handy anywhere.

Melanie
12-21-2011, 06:46 AM
The loudest noise from an adjacent room we ever experienced at WDW came at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, so these tips could come in handy anywhere.

Very true!!

I'm a light sleeper, and very picky about my sleeping conditions. I always take a fan with me when I travel (especially to Disney) and usually take one Tylenol PM. Almost always does the trick.

Another thing I try to do is get a top floor room at the Value or Moderate resorts. Unforutnately, the rolling luggage sounds are what bothers me the most, and there just isn't anything you can do about that. :unsure:

spoiledraf
12-24-2011, 07:33 AM
My daughter took the small window fan in her dorm room($27,000 tuition and no air conditioning!) and put it next to her head to drown out noisey dorm parties. She has slept that way ever since. We have followed suit and it's great to block the roudy kids playing in the pool next door on warm summer nights and covers up snoring as well. We've even missed phone calls. It's a large version of white noise and will make a noisy room quiet!

JerseyDad
12-28-2011, 12:37 AM
.....not sure if anyone here who's stayed at a value resort has actually taken time to look (except me)....but the alarm clock / radios are equipped with background ("white noise") capability. The sound choices are (as I recal) a babbling brook, ocean waves / seaside sounds, and wind chimes.

You can also connect an MP3 player / Ipod to it...and play whatever sounds your heart...or ears...desire.

WDWCrazyKaren
12-28-2011, 09:30 AM
.....not sure if anyone here who's stayed at a value resort has actually taken time to look (except me)....but the alarm clock / radios are equipped with background ("white noise") capability. The sound choices are (as I recal) a babbling brook, ocean waves / seaside sounds, and wind chimes.

You can also connect an MP3 player / Ipod to it...and play whatever sounds your heart...or ears...desire.

I did not know the clocks there had that capability! We try to bring a fan with us, but getting even a small one into a suitcase is sometimes tricky. And then I find that the one I bring isn't really loud enough! I love that the clocks will provide me with white noise!

I second getting the upper floor room, as far in the back of the building as possible. The last room, although it may be far away, is usually really quiet.

gottaluvtink
12-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Here's a simple solution and what we always do. Go to the parks from open to close and you will be so tired when you get back, you won't here a thing! :)

megustamex
12-30-2011, 10:54 AM
I second earplugs, top floor, building farthest from the pool/food court. Also ask for a room away from the elevator and facing the parking lot if possible. I have moved rooms when I've been next to extremely noisy neighbors.

And, yes, wearing yourself out during the day will definitely knock you out at night!