PDA

View Full Version : Vast price differences in character breakfasts?

WDWCrazyKaren
12-16-2011, 08:50 AM
What is the reason behind the huge price differences for character breakfasts?

Chef Mickey's adult breakfast is currently $35.14, 1900 Park Fare is $26.62, 'Ohanas is $20.99 and Tusker House is $28.75. That is a $15 swing between Chef Mickey's and 'Ohanas. (these prices are from another site)

All of the meals are so darn similar, that I just can't figure out the huge price differences. Maybe I could justify 'Ohanas being lower because they don't have the buffet.

Any ideas? (No real reason that I want this info, I'm just super curious)

buzznwoodysmom
12-16-2011, 10:07 AM
I think those prices may not be correct. We almost always eat at Ohana's and I don't remember the price being that low.

AgentC
12-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I think those prices may not be correct. We almost always eat at Ohana's and I don't remember the price being that low.

I just ate at Tusker House for the character lunch last week and lunch was around $26 an adult. I think breakfast is around $25.

We ate at Chef Mickey's and Park Fare in October. Chef Mickey was around the $35 Allears posted. I almost fell off my chair when I got the bill. :)

I hadn't eaten there in awhile and I had done Ohana's in May and was expecting it to be around $25. Park Fare was in the $25-26 range.

My theory is that Chef Mickey's is a huge draw and the only place you can see Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, and Minnie and Disney knows people will pay for it so they raised the price.

For me I was very happy with Mickey, Donald, Daisy & Goofy at Tusker House for lunch for almost $10 less than Chef Mickey breakfast. :thumbsup:

TheDuckRocks
12-16-2011, 11:21 AM
I just checked over at "that other site" and the prices they have listed for Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare and Tusker House are dated August 2011 and the Ohana one was from January 2011. If my senior citizen minds remembers correctly there was much discussion in August, here at Intercot, about all character meals going up in price. The percentage of the increases were alarming to say the least. I'm guessing that the $20.99 for Ohana is not correct.

PopPhan
12-16-2011, 02:18 PM
1900 Park Faire:
Breakfast
Experience: Character Dining
Service: Buffet
Price Level: $$ ($15 to 35.99)

Chef Mickey's:
Breakfast
Price Level: $$ ($15 to $35.99)

Lunch

'Ohana:
Breakfast
Service: Family-style

Tusker House:
Breakfast

Lunch

Looks like they are all the same price range to me....But, I guess that can change by venue...

IamaDisneyFan
12-16-2011, 05:13 PM
According to the 2011 Birnbaum's guide these are the prices for the character breakfasts:

1900 Park Faire: $19/$11

Chef Mickey's: $25/$14

'Ohana: $21/$12

Tusker House: $21/$12

This book came out about 1 year ago, so I don't know if there has been increase since then or not.

mom2morgan
12-16-2011, 08:57 PM
This is giving me pause for thought - characters or no, $36 seems like an AWFUL lot of scrambled eggs and pancakes.

SallyMcQueen
12-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Part of the reason I chose to do dinner at Chef Mickey's was the price. It's hard enough stomaching paying 120+ for a family of four for a buffet at dinner, but to pay that much for breakfast for me was plan crazy for OOP. Now if we were going with DDP it would be a completely different story.

KylesMom
12-16-2011, 09:52 PM
According to the 2011 Birnbaum's guide these are the prices for the character breakfasts:

1900 Park Faire: $19/$11

Chef Mickey's: $25/$14

'Ohana: $21/$12

Tusker House: $21/$12

This book came out about 1 year ago, so I don't know if there has been increase since then or not.

In July of 2010 without tax or gratuity the breakfast price at Chef Mickey's was $86.97 for the three of us, or $28.99 a piece. In July of 2011, that price was boosted to $98.97 without tax or gratuity - or $32.99 each.

Now, we hadn't been back to dinner at CMs and were more shocked about THAT price in 2011. Without tax or gratuity or adult beverage, the cost was $119.97 or $39.99 each. WOW! In comparison, Ohana was $110.97 or $36.99 each.

AgentC
12-17-2011, 08:19 AM
This is giving me pause for thought - characters or no, $36 seems like an AWFUL lot of scrambled eggs and pancakes.

That's how I felt after we went to Chef Mickey's last time. My son requested it for his birthday so I did it, but other than a special occasion I would not pay that much for breakfast again.

brivers222
12-21-2011, 12:27 PM
This is why i loved the Dining Plan... we didnt have to worry about prices... but I did take pics of the receipts to see what the cost would have been if we paid out of pocket... Below is strictly what was charged to dining plan... Not including Tip and any extras we bought

Chef Mickey's Dinner: $35.99 + Tax per adult
Chef Mickey's Breakfast: $28.99 + Tax per adult

Ohana Breakfast: $20.99 + Tax per adult
Akershus Breakfast: $39.99 + Tax per adult
Cape May Cafe Breakfast: $28.99 + Tax per adult

AgentC
12-21-2011, 02:10 PM
This is why i loved the Dining Plan... we didnt have to worry about prices.

I've thought about doing dining plan so I don't have to worry. :D But because we are local, pass holders and my children almost never eat a complete meal, Tables in Wonderland tends to work best for us.

I went back and looked at my receipt for Chef Mickey's in October. The total was $122.76 for 3 adults and 2 children. This includes a 20% TIW discount. 18% tip and tax.

As a comparison our Tusker House Character Lunch in Dec was $111.14 for the same party using TIW. Of course at Tusker House I bought the Donald picture which added another $30 or so on.

Even with that, I don't think we will stop going to character meals anytime soon. :mickey:

brivers222
12-21-2011, 02:13 PM
heck no... My wife and I (no kids) love the character meals! Thats the best way to meet the characters without standing in line in the sun!

WDWCrazyKaren
12-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Sorry I was MIA from this discussion! I'm back. Thanks for the input. Being that we are on the free dining plan, it doesn't matter all that much to us, but I would certainly find it hard to justify paying OOP for some of those meals. I know it's a great way to meet the characters, and that frankly they are just a lot of fun and high energy, but the dining plan is about the only way they'd get me to places with costs like these. Not that we don't pay a lot for some really great meals outside of the World, but we're usually getting a steak that would melt in your mouth, and 6 personal wait staff!