PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian or Boardwalk

Gator
12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm thinking about splurging on my next trip and going to a good deluxe. Poly seems nice, but I've heard the bus service to DHS and AK is pretty bad. So I'm thinking the big one, GF, and walking-distance-to-Epcot Boardwalk. Tell me what you like and don't like at all that.

SBETigg
12-13-2011, 08:26 PM
I love the MK area, being close to hear the noises going on in the park and lagoon. The bus service is often shared, so sometimes standing only by the time it reaches the GF, but not often. We almost always have seats. The timing of buses has been pretty reliable for us, and the bus stop is very nice with multiple benches for sitting and waiting. But we've had good luck with buses at the Poly, too, so I wouldn't rule it out if you like the idea of the Polynesian.

Transportation for DHS, AK, Downtown Disney and other places will be by bus from the GF.

Transportation for Epcot, takes a monorail to monorail transfer, and that means going around the lagoon- GF to MK to Contemporary to TTC, and a monorail switch. From the Poly, you could save time and just walk to the TTC if walking doesn't bother you.

Transportation to the MK is fantastic, and if you spend a lot of time at the MK, it's wonderful. We find that we do spend more time at the MK when we stay on the monorail, but also a lot of time at Epcot. You can hop on the monorail and MK is the next stop (but the monorail is sometimes crowded by the time it reaches the GF from Poly) or you can take the boat launch, which will go to the Poly first then back to the MK (return trip stops at GF first). We like to monorail to the MK from GF and boat launch back.

Shops, restaurants, pools, nighttime on the beach and at the marina, and the Seven Seas Lagoon- Electric Water Pageant- all great at the GF. Added perk, Gasparilla Grill is a 24 hour location.

But. If you're more a fan of Epcot and DHS, the Boardwalk is probably great, too. They do share buses to the other parks, I think. But Epcot and DHS are both walkable (or boat launch). The Boardwalk is lovely at night, lots of activity. I think the downside for me would be that the shops and restaurants are all out on the Boardwalk and not in the resort. But maybe that's not really a bad thing.

We tried the Beach Club in that area and it really was not for us. We're GF people (who occasionally enjoy the Poly instead).

minnie-mouse
12-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Grand Floridian, you can't beat the location to MK and monorail to Epcot. Plus, all the restaurants a short monorail ride away is ideal.

BeccaO
12-14-2011, 11:45 AM
GF, for all the reasons listed above. We are also GF people, simply because we have young children and our favorite park is MK, therefore it allows easy access to MK and when we decide its time to return to the resort for a rest or break, it's not far!! Love the atmosphere, and also agree with what was posted above about all the noises from the MK, we love having our patio/balcony door open the entire time, day and night!!!

cuteduck223
12-14-2011, 11:52 AM
I think it would depend on who's going. I agree that GF is probably best for a younger family, but for an older family, Boardwalk has much more in the way of evening entertainment, as well as access to EP and DHS by foot or boat.

BelleBeauty
12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
I would say GF. We walked through Boardwalk on our recent trip and were just not impressed. The Boardwalk area is so-so and the hotel lobby is just not the same level of impressive. I think GF is definitely a better bang for the buck! Plus it is easy access to MK and ressies at all of the monorail resorts.

rjmdds
12-20-2011, 05:19 PM
I am a huge fan of the GF. We stay there every trip without hesitation. I think the Boardwalk is a fabulous hotel as well in a great location. For us though, Disney World begins and ends with the Magic Kingdom. As a result, the proximity and excitement of being "in the middle of it all" makes the GF a simple choice for us. Our second favorite park is Epcot so I can see the draw of the Boardwalk or even the Yacht & Beach Club. But in the end it is hard to beat the luxury of the GF. The lobby, the monorail, the orchestra, ...it is just a great , great hotel. Either way, you will have a fantastic time.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
12-22-2011, 08:25 PM
We stayed in a studio at Boardwalk this past September and LOVED it. We have 3 kids (7, 4, 1) and loved that we could walk to 2 of the 4 parks. (or boat, but we walked/pushed the strollers) The ride to MK was not bad. You do stop to pick up at the swan/dolphin, but it is after so you get the seats first. We loved boardwalk. Great pool for kids too (clown mouth was a little creepy to me, but the kids loved it!)

A Big Kid
12-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Best advantage of BW is walking distance to the studios and the world showcase.