PDA

View Full Version : What happens Overnight at the Parks?

Arnold Simba
12-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I suppose this is a question for castmembers who have worked/are working overnight at the various Walt Disney World Parks: What happens overnight at the Parks? I know that extensive clean-up is done, but are the rides cleaned out as well? Does someone wade through the water at POTC looking for trash/belongings at the bottom? Does someone walk though Spaceship Earth looking for similar items? What goes on? :confused:

ChipNDale79
12-13-2011, 08:15 AM
I suppose this is a question for castmembers who have worked/are working overnight at the various Walt Disney World Parks: What happens overnight at the Parks? I know that extensive clean-up is done, but are the rides cleaned out as well? Does someone wade through the water at POTC looking for trash/belongings at the bottom? Does someone walk though Spaceship Earth looking for similar items? What goes on? :confused:

Ive heard that this happens, however, on one of our trips i noticed a coke bottle on Splash Mountain that someone has tossed into one of the scenes. When we went back the next day and rode SM again, it was still there. I was a disappointed that the most obvious pieces of trash weren't picked up.

Ian
12-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Having had the opportunity to spend the night in the Magic Kingdom, I can tell you that a lot goes on there overnight!

I peeked out the window of our suite numerous times throughout the night and all night the park was brightly lit, with people scurrying all over the place, trucks driving up and down the streets, cleaning the streets, and just general insanity.

I was actually amazed at how busy it was!

DizneyRox
12-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Ive heard that this happens, however, on one of our trips i noticed a coke bottle on Splash Mountain that someone has tossed into one of the scenes. When we went back the next day and rode SM again, it was still there. I was a disappointed that the most obvious pieces of trash weren't picked up.
I've seen much the same. For a week on one ride, I noticed a shoe in one of the scenes! A SHOE!

The parks are busy though. we went into Mk for our wedding pictures before opening and it was crazy. And I assume they were moving things backstage to get ready for opening.

Tigerinvestigator
12-13-2011, 11:16 AM
When we stay at the MK resorts we can hear them working on the different stage shows etc. They actually play the music really loud when they are working on them. Same is true of DHS which we can see from our room high atop the Dolphin!:thumbsup:

WDWdriver
12-13-2011, 06:52 PM
As Ian said above, the parks are brightly lit with lots of vehicles moving around. Hose crews wash down every street and pathway with high pressure hot water. The horticulture folks will be taking care of the trees and flower beds. Other crews will use high-lift vehicles to change light bulbs. It's very busy, bright, and often noisy.

As for the rides, each one has it's own shutdown and nighttime procedures. Normally a CM will make the last ride of the night looking for safety or "show" problems. Third shift maintenance crews will work on the rides at night, but usually the rides are powered down through the night. Early the next morning the rides are turned over to the Operations CMs for start-up and inspection. Ride paths will be walked by CMs (for example, every foot of the EE track is walked and inspected each morning).

BTW, being in one of the parks before rope drop is fantastic. The rides are running empty, the park audio is on, and everything is clean, bright and calm. The mood soon changes when the crowds come charging in!

Main Street Jim
12-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Ive heard that this happens, however, on one of our trips i noticed a coke bottle on Splash Mountain that someone has tossed into one of the scenes. When we went back the next day and rode SM again, it was still there. I was a disappointed that the most obvious pieces of trash weren't picked up.I used to do the morning walkthrough - or ridethrough - of Splash. I'd see trash throughout the ride. Some of it, however, is in show scenes that you just can't access by walking to them (using our routes throughout the ride). I'd notify my managers about it, and usually the next day, the stuff would be cleaned up.

The park(s) are usually lit up like daytime, while crews are out working.

Oh - and if you've never experienced it - stick around the lagoon in EPCOT one night after "official" park closing and watch the inferno-barge blowoff :) It's worth the wait! Oh - and you won't be "kicked out" :)

ANG
12-14-2011, 06:13 AM
All I know is that the MK castle turns colors many times at night :)

I remember staying at BLT and seeing the castle out my bedroom balcony. I had to wake frequently with one of my kiddos and saw it was different every few hours. Very cool

azcavalier
12-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I've seen much the same. For a week on one ride, I noticed a shoe in one of the scenes! A SHOE!

Well, if that was at Epcot, that's to be expected! Apparently it's "tradition" for CMs working the World Showcase to leave a shoe behind somewhere in the pavilion of their country when they are leaving WDW to go home. Mexico and Canada are some of the worst, I hear. You can see shoes in the Gran Tour as well as on the boulders by the Canadian waterfall.

LarryBoy
12-15-2011, 09:41 AM
I thought the characters in the rides come to life and chase holographic children, or something like that. ;)

WDWdriver
12-15-2011, 09:49 AM
I thought the characters in the rides come to life and chase holographic children, or something like that. ;)

That only happens at "It's A Small World". You don't want to go in there at night!

LarryBoy
12-15-2011, 10:28 AM
That only happens at "It's A Small World". You don't want to go in there at night!

Look out for the evil dolls! :D

AmandaChan
12-24-2011, 04:22 PM
If I had the opportunity to get a good job working nights at WDW making the same money I do as a nurse and not having to worry about the complexities of moving a young family I would take it in a heart beat. Working there is both DH and mine's dream job!

Also I remember when Ryan Gosseling was on Conan he talked about how he had a love/hate relationship with Disney and about how he heard that they released cats into the park at night time to kill all of the mice. I'm sure it was just a funny joke but he said he loved them because it's Disney and they WOULD think of something like that and he hated it because you would think the safest place for a mouse would be an empire that 'started with a mouse' :mickey:

MickeysBestPal
12-24-2011, 06:24 PM

I remember staying at BLT and seeing the castle out my bedroom balcony. I had to wake frequently with one of my kiddos and saw it was different every few hours. Very cool

Not just every few hours.
After dark (except during specific "shows,") the castle rotates colors (at a rather frequent pace) over and over, every night.

It changes colors all the time, when the park is open or closed.
It's just part of the MK evening atmosphere.

Kathy Jetson
12-27-2011, 01:13 AM
I used to do the morning walkthrough - or ridethrough - of Splash. I'd see trash throughout the ride. Some of it, however, is in show scenes that you just can't access by walking to them (using our routes throughout the ride). I'd notify my managers about it, and usually the next day, the stuff would be cleaned up.

The park(s) are usually lit up like daytime, while crews are out working.

Oh - and if you've never experienced it - stick around the lagoon in EPCOT one night after "official" park closing and watch the inferno-barge blowoff :) It's worth the wait! Oh - and you won't be "kicked out" :)

What is the inferno-barge blowoff?

jillluvsdisney
12-27-2011, 11:08 AM
My sister and our Dad took the steam trains tour. They had to be at MK at 715am. This was November 4th and my sister said there were cast members on cherry pickers all over Main st putting up Christmas decorations.

BrerGnat
12-27-2011, 01:10 PM
What is the inferno-barge blowoff?

I assume it's what we heard every night around 10pm from our room at the Beach Club last week. I thought we were too far away to be hearing MK fireworks!

I guess there are "extra" pyrotechnics onboard the barge, as backups, but they need to be discharged every night. Would this be accurate?

BrerGnat
12-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Also I remember when Ryan Gosseling was on Conan he talked about how he had a love/hate relationship with Disney and about how he heard that they released cats into the park at night time to kill all of the mice. I'm sure it was just a funny joke but he said he loved them because it's Disney and they WOULD think of something like that and he hated it because you would think the safest place for a mouse would be an empire that 'started with a mouse' :mickey:

There are hundreds of Feral Cats living at DisneyLAND. Not sure about WDW. These cats roam freely around the resort day and night. I've seen tons of them over the years at Disneyland. Luckiest cats in the world! They are there to naturally control the rodent population at Disneyland.

Stu29573
12-28-2011, 10:09 AM
I assume it's what we heard every night around 10pm from our room at the Beach Club last week. I thought we were too far away to be hearing MK fireworks!

I guess there are "extra" pyrotechnics onboard the barge, as backups, but they need to be discharged every night. Would this be accurate?

Actually, I've heard that it not really "backup" pyrotechnics, but extra butane in the tanks that gets burned off.

Bethis26fan
12-29-2011, 04:14 PM

lol that's what i was goign to say :)

ransam
12-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Haven't you ever read Kingdom Keeper?

Main Street Jim
12-29-2011, 09:18 PM
What is the inferno-barge blowoff?As Stu stated, it's the "blowoff" of the extra fuel for the inferno barge for Illuminations. It's usually about an hour after the fireworks/park closes. If you've never seen it, stick around and see it :) They do an actual "countdown" over the speaker system, and ask guests to stick around :)

brivers222
01-01-2012, 04:31 PM

Yeah we used the castle as our nightlight while staying in Tahiti at the Poly last month. It was awesome having the icle lighting changing color all night long!!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-01-2012, 06:59 PM

That's what I was going to say too. The Overtakers and Wayne and the DHI's all running around.

BWayGrl
01-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I used to do the morning walkthrough - or ridethrough - of Splash. I'd see trash throughout the ride. Some of it, however, is in show scenes that you just can't access by walking to them (using our routes throughout the ride). I'd notify my managers about it, and usually the next day, the stuff would be cleaned up.

Slightly off-topic, but just curious, after riding Splash that many times, do you still scream and throw your arms up for the drop? :mickey:

Main Street Jim
01-04-2012, 08:40 AM
That's what I was going to say too. The Overtakers and Wayne and the DHI's all running around."Wayne" is a *real* CM at Splash :) They call him "Pops" around the attraction - so if you ever get to Splash again, make sure to say "Hi" to "Pops" and ask about his "fame" in the books :thumbsup: