PDA

View Full Version : Brining and cooking a turkey for the first time - Help!

laprana
12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
This year for Christmas dinner, I have volunteered to cook the turkey...something I've never done before, so I'm a little nervous! I'll be cooking just a turkey breast, not a whole turkey, and I'm planning on brining it beforehand. I have what looks like a good recipe for the brine, but I'm looking for any tips on the best way to actually cook the turkey breast.

Should I use oven bags? Tin foil? Do I need to use a fork to poke some holes in the turkey breast before brining to make sure the liquid soaks in, or no holes? Should I rinse the turkey off after taking it out of the brine before cooking it?

I'll take any tips or brine recipes you can share! I just don't want to mess it up and have a turkey bomb for Christmas dinner! I keep having visions of the scene in the movie "Christmas Vacation" where Clark Griswold cuts into the turkey that Catherine (cousin Eddie's wife) cooked and it disintigrates! :eek: :D Thanks for any help you can offer!!

DisneyDog
12-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I always use oven bags. They are the most wonderful invention. Your turkey will be very juicy and you will get a lot of gravy from it. Just brush it will a little olive oil and some herb seasonings on top, pop it in the bag and you will be good to go!:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
12-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Skip the brine, unless you want your turkey to taste like ham! Most turkey breast are already sort of pre-brined. They contain a solution of salt/sugar/water. It's difficult to find one that does NOT have it. Brining on top of that will make your turkey excessively salty. I did it one year and never did it again (I cook a turkey breast every year).

Here is my suggestion, after doing this for over 10 years:

1. Get the best quality turkey breast you can find. This makes a huge difference! If you can, stay away from "national" brands. If you have a smaller or gourmet type supermarket near you, their "house" brand might be a good choice.

2. The night before, rinse the turkey and pat dry. Lay out on a large piece of foil, double layer.

3. Mix up the following in a blender: 1 clove garlic per pound, 1 teaspoon salt per pound, 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper per pound, 1 tablespoon ground oregano, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Blend this up and then pour it over the turkey. Rub it in EVERYWHERE, even under the skin. Wrap up the turkey and leave it in the fridge to "marinate" overnight.

4. Remove the turkey breast 30 min before you plan to put it in the oven. Place in a baking "V" rack (meat side up) with pan underneath. Pour any pooled marinade over the top of the turkey breast.

5. Cook at 450 degrees for the first 15 minutes ONLY and then turn oven down to 350. Insert a probe thermometer and set it to go off when the turkey is 165 degrees.

6. After one hour of cooking, melt a stick of butter and pour over the top of the turkey, making sure to cover the entire exposed surface. You do NOT need to baste the turkey at all after you do this. It's a one time deal.

7. The turkey should take about 2-3 hours to cook, depending on weight. When it's done, take it out, loosely cover with foil, and leave it alone for 30 minutes. Make the gravy while you let it sit.

Slice and serve! Enjoy!

SBETigg
12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I bought a pre-brined organic free range bird from Williams-Sonoma this year. It was very pricey, but did not at all taste like ham and it was declared the best turkey ever by my guests, and my son, who normally does not care for turkey. If you want the brine without the hassle and are willing to pay for it, check into the W-S website. I think they have breasts, too. It was so moist and juicy, not hammy.

When you brine, you apparently have to rinse rinse rinse before you cook or it will be too salty. I like to rub the skin with butter before cooking, plus salt and pepper to taste. Then cover the top with a foil tent after a little while to prevent overbrowning, no basting needed there either. Brining definitely makes a difference when done right (which is why I paid to have it done for me- haha, no hassle).

BrerGnat
12-12-2011, 05:15 PM
I bought a pre-brined organic free range bird from Williams-Sonoma this year. It was very pricey, but did not at all taste like ham and it was declared the best turkey ever by my guests, and my son, who normally does not care for turkey. If you want the brine without the hassle and are willing to pay for it, check into the W-S website. I think they have breasts, too. It was so moist and juicy, not hammy.

Uh, yeah, if you want to splurge on a Willy Bird, they are the BEST!

My version was the "I don't want to spend $50 on a turkey" one. ;)

We are so stupid, though. This year, we could have gotten a WS turkey for 40% off (sister is a corporate employee). I just didn't think of it! :rolleyes:

SBETigg
12-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Uh, yeah, if you want to splurge on a Willy Bird, they are the BEST!

My version was the "I don't want to spend $50 on a turkey" one. ;)

We are so stupid, though. This year, we could have gotten a WS turkey for 40% off (sister is a corporate employee). I just didn't think of it! :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was the 24 pounder, so let's just say it was a splurge. And it was amazing. The 40% off would make it irresistible. If she stays with WS, I would go for it next time. You don't have to go for the brined, either, if you're not into that. They have them without brining, too.

Kairi_7378
12-12-2011, 09:20 PM
We hosted Thanksgiving for the second time this year. My husband decided that we HAD to brine a turkey this year. I followed one of Emeril's recipes for brined turkey breast. (It had a cranberry glaze.) The brine was composed of water, OJ, pepper corns, white wine, ginger, and bay leaves.

It IS possible to over brine a turkey. My aunt did that a few years ago and it tasted a little ham-y. I suggest putting it in for a little less time than the recipe states.

JanetMegan
12-13-2011, 07:53 AM
I chop a mix of fresh sage, rosemary and thyme and mix that with a stick of softened butter which I smear under the skin and on the top of the bird. I always make sure to tightly tress my bird with kitchen twine and then throw it in the ol oven bag-does a great job every time. Although once it is all buttery it is tricky to get into the bag-I always get a little extra help =)

laprana
12-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks so much for all the great tips and ideas everyone! I'm feeling a little less nervous about ruining Christmas dinner now! :D Keep 'em coming! I'll take all the help I can get! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
12-13-2011, 09:57 AM
If you want really crispy skin, make sure your turkey is COMPLETELY dry before you season it. And, use REAL butter, not margarine or anything out of a tub.

White Rose
12-13-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure how big of a turkey breast you'll be working with but my mother actually cooks ours in the crock pot. We generally have a spiral sliced ham and a turkey breast on Christmas day, as my grandfather cannot have pork. Crock pot might be a nice alternative to consider.

Of course I know absolutely NOTHING about cooking, so I could be completely wrong. :blush:

A Big Kid
12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
My best tip is if you use or make a favorite marinade, make extra. Take a cheesecloth and soak it in the marinade. Fold it over three or four times and drape it over the bird as you cook it.