PDA

View Full Version : Fast Passes Switching to Bar Codes?

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
12-09-2011, 05:41 PM
I just heard a rumor that Fast Passes will be switching to bar codes next year. Again, this is just a rumor. An acquaintance who is at WDW currently heard this from a Cast Member at a Fast Pass machine. Since I heard it, I thought I'd throw it out there to see if any can corroborate this information.

If this is true, does anyone know what it means? Does it mean that guests will be held to their one-hour window as opposed to being allowed into the Fast Pass line even after your window has expired?

DizneyRox
12-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Totally false since it came from a fastpass CM. The real stories come from bus drivers.

eam
12-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Totally false since it came from a fastpass CM. The real stories come from bus drivers.

:funny::funny:

beezyboo10
12-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I was told at the ToT fast pass machine 3 weeks ago that they were going to start enforcing the time window nest year. When next year he didn't say. As for bar codes who knows

Polynesian Dweller
12-10-2011, 11:00 PM
If anything, it would be RFID. There has been a lot of talk of RFID and nextgen initiatives. With the RFID on tickets testing at Epco,t Disney seems to moving that way.

Gregandmel
12-11-2011, 07:03 AM
Sorry- but what's RFID mean? :blush:

DisneyorBust
12-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Radio Frequency IDentification. Disney was testing this technology at the entrance to Epcot. Apparently the testing has been completed and they are evaluating the process.

MickeysBestPal
12-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I was told at the ToT fast pass machine 3 weeks ago that they were going to start enforcing the time window nest year. When next year he didn't say. As for bar codes who knows

You can completely ignore any CM announcements about this. Period.

It can happen at any time, but the CM's do not have any credible information about it.

Buttercup
12-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I think that's a good idea actually - all those little tickets of paper seems wasteful to me.
I think it would be neat if somehow you scanned your park ticket to "get" the fast pass, but no ticket is printed out. You just have to remember what time your fast pass is at... and then when you get to the ride, you just scan your park ticket.

People are able to remember their ADR times... maybe they could remember their fast pass time too?

Then again, when I'm on vacation, my brain shuts down a little and I'd probably forget what time my fast pass time is at! :secret::D

Victor Kelly
12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Bar codes are less reliable than magnetic strips. So if anything, like a previous poster said, RFID most likely

DisneyDoug2
12-12-2011, 03:20 PM
The best thing about RFID tags, Disney will be able to track you movement around the entire park by just adding a few readers in key locations. Just think of all the new data they could collect!

Victor Kelly
12-14-2011, 09:48 AM
A reader at every attraction exit and enterance would give way more accurate wait times.

I could not care less if Disney knows where I am in their parks. Or what food I eat. Or which bathrooms I use.

We just took a cruise for the first time. The people serving you get to know you and can recommend things on the menu based upon that. And that is without RFID, just the good ole human brain.

People know more about you from facebook and your friends facebook than they will from an RFID in your pocket.

RBrooksC
12-22-2011, 12:20 PM
I would never take too much stock in what a CM says. Most likely they are getting information from a team meeting or something they over-heard in the back halls of the resort. The CMs would have no details on implementation, or anything of that sort.

With that being said, the RFID would be the way Disney would go, and yes, it could provide them with a wealth of information. However, before one dismisses it or despises, it would be a way for Disney to learn what people actually like and what they do not like.

So, in that way, things could be streamlined to follow more of the patterns and likes of the guests who visit the parks as opposed to them guessing from visitor surveys.

12-22-2011, 03:17 PM
I would never take too much stock in what a CM says. Most likely they are getting information from a team meeting or something they over-heard in the back halls of the resort. The CMs would have no details on implementation, or anything of that sort.

You would have no way of knowing what training CM's are either currently undergoing or have upcoming for future changes going on at their worksite, so to make the above comments in a public forum is irresponsible.

I personally have training scheduled early next month for some new processes that have not yet been announced and I do currently have details on their implementation. Won't be discussing them here though at this time.

MickeysBestPal
12-22-2011, 03:42 PM
You would have no way of knowing what training CM's are either currently undergoing or have upcoming for future changes going on at their worksite, so to make the above comments in a public forum is irresponsible.

Individual "at random" CM's are disturbingly infamous for spouting inaccurate predictions and pronouncements.

OTOH, when info about an upcoming major change IS being disseminated by Disney in CM meetings and missives, that info will not just be leaked by one or two lone CM's, but the info will be reported and confirmed by many, all at once, and fill the Disney forums.

This has been the situation of "new info" over the years since the proliferation of the internet Disney forum.

texas211
12-24-2011, 09:45 AM
I think that's a good idea actually - all those little tickets of paper seems wasteful to me.
I think it would be neat if somehow you scanned your park ticket to "get" the fast pass, but no ticket is printed out. You just have to remember what time your fast pass is at... and then when you get to the ride, you just scan your park ticket.

People are able to remember their ADR times... maybe they could remember their fast pass time too?

Then again, when I'm on vacation, my brain shuts down a little and I'd probably forget what time my fast pass time is at! :secret::D

You are a better man than I. I can't remember anything. I have to have the little paper. Besides when they collect them, they should recycle instead of toss them.. Besides, for folks who don't turn them back in, sounds like the recycle their use of sorts.