PDA

View Full Version : DVC Question

Butters
12-09-2011, 09:02 AM
We are in the very beginning stages of looking to join DVC. So far I think the resale market works for us since we plan on only using points for DVC resorts. I know our plans may change but our family is just starting, and the for-seeable future we think this will meet our needs.

My question is, what would be the drawback of buying Hilton Head, which I see selling for about $50/point, compared to paying double or triple per point for other resorts.

If i'm understanding correctly, at the 7 month out window those points can be used for any other resort at the same value, is that correct?

laprana
12-09-2011, 10:05 AM
You are correct that you could use HHI points at the 7 month mark to stay at other DVC resorts, but only if there is availabilty at the resort you want to stay at. If wanted to use those points to book a room at Beach Club Villas during the food and wine festival, you might be out of luck. Or, if you want to use them to book a Club Level room in Jambo House at Animal Kingdom Villas, you'd likely have a very hard time getting that room at 7 months. If you are flexible with where you stay, your travel dates, and what type of room you have, then always booking at the 7 month mark might not be a big deal for you.

One downside to purchasing HHI points might be the annual dues, which will be around $5.92 per point for 2012. That's pretty high, and can offset some of the savings you see by buying points there. Other resorts, such as Bay Lake Tower and Saratoga Springs have lower dues at $4.22 and $4.73 per point, respectively.

Basket Mommy
12-10-2011, 10:58 AM
We own all of our points at HHI. We only travel during value season, so we have a little better chance of securing the villas we want. But, as long as you're flexible, you can always get something. It may not be your top choice, but you do have the opportunity to use the wait list. That has worked to my advantage twice. We tried to book BLT for May 2011, but it was unavailable. I booked my 2nd choice, VWL, with no problems. I did a wait list for BLT and got it about a month after booking. I was ecstatic!

I booked our January 2012 trip right at the 7 month window (June) and was able to get exactly what I wanted in AKL for January 20-28th.

To me, it's worth the savings to buy the cheapest points possible. Like I said, you may not always get your 1st choice of places to stay, but the upside is you will get to stay somewhere at Disney. I haven't found a bad DVC resort yet!

One downside to purchasing HHI points might be the annual dues, which will be around $5.92 per point for 2012. That's pretty high, and can offset some of the savings you see by buying points there. Other resorts, such as Bay Lake Tower and Saratoga Springs have lower dues at $4.22 and $4.73 per point, respectively.

We considered this when we bought HHI and found that the tremendous savings up front offset the higher dues later. We own 350 points.

VWL Mom
12-10-2011, 03:00 PM
You might want to check into OKW. They have listings available in the 50 - 55 range. You would be able to book at 11 months out which could come in handy depending on when you travel. Their dues are slightly less than HHI, in the area of $5.20 I think.

Butters
12-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks for all the advice... Like I said we are still early in the process but will probably become more serious after our trip in Feb

DizneyRox
12-12-2011, 10:21 AM
You may want to think about it before your trip. While you are probably running out of time, when we bought in, we did the math, and had we used what we paid for our past two years worth of trips to actually buy DVC, it would have been paid for.

Ian
12-12-2011, 10:58 AM
I think one of the main mantras of DVC ownership is "buy where you want to stay."

With the explosion of DVC ownership, especially at some of the larger, less desirable resorts like SSR, it's becoming harder and harder to book accomodations at the 7 month window. And that's especially true if you want to stay at busier times of the year.

Hammer
12-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I think one of the main mantras of DVC ownership is "buy where you want to stay."

With the explosion of DVC ownership, especially at some of the larger, less desirable resorts like SSR, it's becoming harder and harder to book accomodations at the 7 month window. And that's especially true if you want to stay at busier times of the year.

See, I have not found that to be the case at all. I only book at the 7 month mark and I have almost always been able to get where we want to stay. This includes booking BCV or BWV during Food and Wine. This is true for when we booked 1 bedrooms and the same now when we book handicap accessible 2 bedrooms to accommodate my Mom. The exception was this December where I wanted VWL for our 1 night stay next week and it was not available. I booked AKL Kidani and waitlisted and got it 1 month later.

WRWDisney
12-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Two final notes on the "buy where you want to (or at least in the state where you want to) stay"

If you buy one of the Disney resorts, then you will at least be in Disney for your trip, not Hilton Head when you wanted to be in Disney

If you read the full contract, the only thing you are guaranteed is that you will be able to stay at your resort; now while I don't see them ever doing this, would you be happy only being able to stay at HHI if they did?

Butters
12-21-2011, 02:51 PM
You may want to think about it before your trip. While you are probably running out of time, when we bought in, we did the math, and had we used what we paid for our past two years worth of trips to actually buy DVC, it would have been paid for.

We were thinking this, and almost pulled the trigger last night talking to a DVC saleswoman, but after sleeping on it figured we would keep our free dining this year and purchase resale for our next trip since the points for non DVC stays we're so high I can't imagine using them on that. (could rent the point and use the cash for those perks and come out way ahead)

NH Disneyfan
12-21-2011, 06:34 PM
We bought OKW 2+ years ago in October leading up to a January trip where we needed 4 rooms. Instead of visiting with family and paying cash at a moderate, we bought 220 fully loaded (banked, current, future) points so we could book rooms for everyone. Financially, this was one of the best moves I've ever made.

We bought OKW for a few reasons. It is the cheapest resort to book point-wise, so we can book at 11 months and then switch at 7 to what's available. We will never lose points on the switch, because the change always "costs" more points.

We were able to get our 4 rooms in SSR and the trip was incredible. This past year we secured BLT and BCV for a total of 10 nights. For 2012, we have WLV secured. All are 1 bedrooms.

I love DVC and am so happy we made the "investment". I would buy at Disney if that's where you're going to vacation. If you want to book HHI during peak seasons, I'm told that's a great place to own. I've never stayed at OKW because we've been successful booking other properties, but I'm also comfortable with OKW if we get "stuck" there forever.