PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mtn open?

ChewyStriker
12-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I know it usually refurbs in January, but it's not on the list yet. What do you think the chances are that we'll actually get to ride it between Jan. 29-31? Here's to hoping!

Melanie
12-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Splash is not going down this year, because Big Thunder is (January 9 - May 27, 2012).

DonaldsBFF
12-05-2011, 10:55 PM
When in Jan does it normally go down for refurb? And for how long usually?

MickeysBestPal
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
When in Jan does it normally go down for refurb? And for how long usually?

Second week.
Thru the end of Jan. Sometimes into Feb.

But, as was said, likely not happening in 2012.

Gator
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Figures. The winter I can't get back there, it stays open. Somebody must have tipped off management.

ChewyStriker
12-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Great news! My son got to ride it twice on our June trip because he was finally tall enough and he's excited to get back on it when we return!

magicman
12-20-2011, 09:41 AM
When it has been closed in the past, it remains closed until Jan 31. We always have hope that they will open it a bit early, but they never do. (I think because they have done the shutdown so many times in the month of January that they have the closure work from Jan 1 - 31 down pat.)

In future trips, I am going to make sure that I stay through Feb 1 to try to catch Splash open.

It sounds like this year's Jan visitors will get a rare January treat.

Kenny1113
12-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Splash is not going down this year, because Big Thunder is (January 9 - May 27, 2012).

:o the kids will be disappointed with our possible upcoming trip in march. :(

TinkerbellT421
12-27-2011, 01:56 PM
This will be the first trip I am finally able to ride Splash Mountain!!!! And to think we "almost" missed it! We were originally planning during our last January trip that we were going to "skip" a year (January 2012) and then make a December 2012 land/sea trip. But after talking to a cast member about these plans and NEVER being able to ride Splash Mountain and they informed us that Splash Mountain would be skipping a refurb this year because of the Big Thunder refurb (and the CM's explanation was they could not have the two main attractions at one time in that area). But either way I am SUPER happy the CM's info turned out to be true and that I will FINALLY be able to get to ride Splash Mountain :mickey: I may have to purchase the ride photo (I have never purchased any ride photo) just keep as memory and proof that I was finally able to ride it once!!! haha

Jared
12-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Serious question for you, Mel: Everything else being equal, does Disneyland's management close both Big Thunder and Splash Mountain simultaneously? Or at least stack the closures on top of each other, even if it meant shutting one down during the busy summer months?

The two rides are in such horrible shape these days, and I suspect the California park-goers would not stand for all the broken effects and dysfunctional Animatronics. Big Thunder desperately needs a long rehab, but Splash Mountain does, too, and now it will probably go another year without one.

Seems like this is a perfect example of why California's attractions remain in perfect shape, while Florida's are allowed to run at a level not up to "show-quality." Florida's management is so scared about complaints from guests who expect every attraction to be operational every visit. Not the right attitude.

WDWCrazyKaren
12-28-2011, 09:23 AM
DH and I are excited about this! We love BTMRR, however, we always miss Splash because we go in Janaury. We'll just sacrifice one for the other next month. It's all good. :cloud9: