PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable soup with no meat

Katzateer
12-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Anyone have a vegetable soup they love with beans or not. I need some fast soup recipes

Carol
12-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Serves 4. I typically triple the batch. You can certainly toss in various beans if you want.

INGREDIENTS:
2/3 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic
3 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cup diced green cabbage
1/2 cup green beans
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup diced zucchini

PREPARATION:
In a large saucepan, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, saute carrot, onion, and garlic over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt; bring to a boil.

Lower heat and simmer, covered about 15 minutes or until beans are tender. Stir in zucchini and heat 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.

Kairi_7378
12-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I have a slow cooker minestrone that is very good. I make it on the weekends, freeze it, and then reheat for a quick weekday meal. I can post if interested.

Katzateer
12-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks Carol !:thumbsup: And the minestrone sounds good if you have a chance to post it.

Scar
12-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I make veggie soup once in while. I don't have a recipe per say... I just throw whatever veggies I like (tomatoes always being a must,) into veggie broth, throw in whatever spices I feel like, and cook it until it looks and tastes done. Comes out great every time. Can't beat fresh. :stir:

ElenitaB
12-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Right up my alley! Here's a soup I've made on the stove, in the pressure cooker or in the slow cooker. The results are always the same: yummy! The recipe isn't my own but a riff on Weight Watcher's vegetable soup:

1 package of cole slaw
1 diced onion
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and cut into "coins"
1 bag of frozen green beans
1 or 2 zucchini, cut into quarters
2-3 Tbs. tomato paste
Stock (chicken or veg) added to just cover the vegetables
1 Tbs. Italian seasoning

Let the whole thing cook until the vegetables get soft. I then give maybe 80-90% of the pot a whirl in the blender or use an immersion blender. You end up with a soup that is "creamy." I've sometimes added fresh spinach to it once I've reached this point, to give it even more nutritional value.

This soup is a cool weather staple in our house. If you chose, you can leave it without the Italian seasoning and add curry for an Indian type soup; or some corn, cumin, Mexican oregano and jalapenos for a "Mexican-style" soup. If you want to up the protein, add some beans... either before or after you puree it.

Edited to add: This seems to be the easy, done-it-a-hundred-times, found-the-short-cuts of the same soup that Carol has posted! It's truly good stuff!

Katzateer
12-04-2011, 07:15 PM
That is different thanks Ellen! Can't wait to try them. I found one online that wasn 't bad - you put a jar of spagetti sauce in it as well as vegetables and a can of tomatoes. The vegetables were onion, carrots, mushrooms, green beans and corn and a can of kidney beans. Some oregano, parsley, garlic powder and a little hot sauce

Dulcee
12-05-2011, 10:19 AM
We do a meatless mexican soup all the time...

I don't really follow recipes so here's approximates

1 clove garlic, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 celery rib, diced
1 peeled carrot, diced
2 tsp cumin
Saute above ingredients in olive oil until fragrant and just beginning to soften. Add 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis (or 1-2 diced fresh tomatoes and 1 small seeded green chili). Add 2-3 cups chicken or vegetable stock and 2 tsp fresh lime juice. Simmer until vegetables are tender (10-20minutes). Add 1 cup each black beans and corn kernels. Cook another 15 minutes. Add a handful of fresh chopped cilantro.

We serve this with some fresh fried corn tortilla strips and shredded mexican cheeses.

MizMissy
12-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Another trick for Veggie soup is I use Hot and Spicy V-8 juice instead of or with Vegetable or Chicken Stock. I find it adds a nice flavor (but I like spicy and tomato-y things).

Katzateer
12-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas!

DisneyDog
12-07-2011, 04:15 PM
I use V8 to make gazpacho in the summer. I add cucumber, tomato, green onion, green pepper and garlic. I have a nifty little chopper from Pampered Chef and it takes me just 15 minutes to make a weeks' worth of gazpacho for lunches.