PDA

View Full Version : Best winter boots for kids?

TheVBs
12-02-2011, 07:20 AM
We still have last year's boots, just the typical ones you get at Target. I'm fed up with them! They just don't do a good job of protecting the girls' feet. They get soaked, they come off, etc. I would love to get some opinions from other parents about what boots work best for your kids. Thanks in advance! :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
12-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Sorels are very very very good.

This year, we bought Ski-Doo boots. They were on sale (40% off!), they are good for temperatures of -40 (C or F ;) ) no laces (they have velcro) AND most importantly NO LINER! Those stupid liners get all pushed down into the boots, because kids are standing in the hall trying to get their stuff on before the bell rings. Don't buy boots with a liner. That's the best advice I can give you from the Great White North.

BrerGnat
12-02-2011, 09:02 AM
What brand are the ones you got at Target?

We bought our boys some boots from target, C9 by Champion brand, this year. They have not been used yet, so I can't speak to their abilities, but they seem very durable, protective, and are super easy on/off. They have no liner, but the soles are lined with shearling on the bottom for warmth/comfort. The entire upper is made of rubber, so I can't see how their feet can get wet. The rubber extends up the boot about 4 inches and then the rest of the boot is a padded nylon waterproof material. They have velcro closures with a bungee cord at the top for securing tighter. They were $20/pair.

I was going to get some boots from L.L. Bean, but just could not justify the price of $50 on something my kids will wear for a couple months, tops, and only occasionally, before they are outgrown.

I plan to get them some really nice thick wool socks to wear with the boots. They will likely only wear them for playing in the snow. No need (in our area) for kids to wear boots to school.

Janmac
12-02-2011, 09:50 AM
My niece has gotten winter boots twice now for her DD from Target - also without the liners. She has looked at L L Bean and read the reviews but lately it seems the quality has gone down while the price is not good.

The non-liner Target boots - don't remember brand names - have lasted and seem to have been warm. Hard to tell with kids. If they're busy and involved they might be blue but they won't know they're cold.

It also helps to have wool - such as Smartwool - socks when trying to keep feet warm.

Jan

brownie
12-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Columbia boots have done well for us. My bride and I have had ours for quite a few years and they've been holding up good. We've only bought Columbia for the kids the last few years and haven't had any problems with them. Famous Footwear usually has a good selection of Columbia boots and boots were just on sale, though I'm not sure if they still are or not.

Sorel boots are good. And it does help to wear a wool or wool blend sock. Cotton socks will retain the moisture and won't insulate once they're damp, resulting in cold feet.

wickedgin
12-02-2011, 01:00 PM
My son went through 2 pairs of Target boots last winter. The "rubber" sole broke off of at least one pair, maybe both. :mad: At $30/pair, I should have went with Columbia boots instead!
This year, my older son wanted Columbia. They're laced, so they can be snugged up better than slip-ons if your children like that. My younger ones don't--in fact, my daughter only wants boots that she can pull on, no laces, zippers, or Velcro--so Target ones are still OK for her.

ElenitaB
12-02-2011, 11:13 PM
I would take advice from the lady from Canada! :thumbsup:

When my son was small, I'd buy him boots (and his coat) every year from Lands' End. Their products are wonderful and they really do stand behind them.

TheVBs
12-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies! The boots they currently have from Target are Champion and Circo. I will definitely look into all the suggestions here. The worst part is when they get soaked. They take forever to dry. I'll also look into the wool socks!

Tink1
12-03-2011, 03:31 PM
When my boys were small I found great boots at Agway (of all places). They were so good I would go back and buy them again and again.

Not sure if there is an Agway or Tractor Supply near you, but they tend to carry quality stuff.

Nanc

Janmac
12-03-2011, 03:38 PM
The worst part is when they get soaked. They take forever to dry.

This was us until someone gave us a boot dryer for Christmas. What a difference. I think the boot dryer came from Cabelas. It has no heater, but does have a fan/blower, so it needs to be plugged in. We now have dry shoes and boots. It works on footwear that got wet from the outside because of snow or rain. But I hear it's also good on work boots in the summer that get sweaty. (sorry) It also dries my work gloves, too.

Merely damp stuff can dry in a few hours but soaked through might take overnight. From what I understand, drying by moving the air, rather than using heat, is better on the boot/shoe.

Our boot dryer has a shelf like top that folds up to put the boots/shoes on the uprights. And then you can fold the top back down and put too much stuff on it. :blush:

Jan

January-2007
12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I bought DS's snow boots from Lands End online for only $17.50, and with free shipping. We've been having lots of luck with Lands End online so I would highly recommend their products.

TheVBs
12-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Nanc, great suggestion! We actually do have a tractor supply nearby. I'll stop in there and see what they have.

Janmac, never even knew something like that existed! There's a Cabela's about 40 minutes from us. Right now, my only trick for drying boots is to stuff them with newspaper and put them over the heating vent.

January-2007, I've gotten lots of recommendations for Lands End. I'll definitely take a look at what they've got.