PDA

View Full Version : Is nyone second guessing due to rude people?

dyin tago
11-29-2011, 10:07 PM
hello,

dw and I have gone to disneyworld nearly every fall for 10 years now.

we always have a good time but the past couple of trips there seem to be more and more rude ignorant people.

part of a vacation is to have fun and have no stress but when you have to deal with rude people everywhere the stress is definitely there.

DizneyRox
11-29-2011, 10:14 PM
We decided due to the budget cuts and overall lack of magic, to do a cruise this past summer. We're planning another for next year.

We've been going at least once a year for the past 15 or so, even got married at the wedding pavilion. It's just not the same...

Buttercup
11-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Nah. There are rude people everywhere in life. I just ignore them. If I tried to avoid rude people, I'd never leave my house, and that's no way to live.

Rise above it. Laugh at their rudeness and walk away thinking "You poor, pathetic soul."

Plus, nothing irks a rude person more than acting like you aren't even bothered by their snarky comments! :thumbsup:

SBETigg
11-29-2011, 11:21 PM
I don't think there are more rude people lately than there have been in the past. I always come across a few, and I always just let it go and not let it get to me. Sometimes, I have a good laugh over it. What else can you do? I won't let it get to me, spoil my vacation, or keep me from coming back.

Polynesian Dweller
11-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Can't say I experienced any rude behavior in Oct. But then I don't let anything really bother me at Disney and just enjoy being there.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
11-30-2011, 12:40 AM
As a "good Southern" gal, I give rude people the benefit of the doubt. I tend to think "Bless their heart" for they must be having a bad day. Maybe their child didn't go to bed til late, maybe they haven't had a good nights sleep since arriving due to a strange bed, etc.

Yes, I am usually "Polly Positive" and look for the bright side and just smile and keep going about my wonderful day. Well MOST of the time that is.:-o

DizneyRox
11-30-2011, 05:29 AM
Oh, you guys means guests, not employees?

The guests, as mentioned, really haven't changed all that much over the years from what I recall.

Silly me, I read the words "disneyworld", "rude", "ignorant", and "people" and assumed Oahu meant the staff.

disneymom15
11-30-2011, 07:38 AM
We're at WDW right now, and really have only ran into one less than pleasant CM. I don"t let them bother me. Everyone has a bad day from time to time.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Wow, not a chance. I find there are way more nice people than rude people:thumbsup:

Butters
11-30-2011, 08:23 AM
I tend to let just ignore the rude behavior of those around me... nothing I can do about it, so not worth wasting my time on them...

Although I had one experience with a very rude CM making inappropriate comments to my wife (fiancé at the time).

azcavalier
11-30-2011, 08:49 AM
I have only run into one CM in ten years whom I thought was actually over-the-top rude, but it was my actions (well, my DW's actions) that brought it on, so I forgive him.

Now, I've seen indifferent CM's, but that's a whole other thing entirely. They're just not enthralled with working for the Mouse for some reason. Most everyone else I meet is extremely helpful.

BrerGnat
11-30-2011, 08:54 AM
I have still never come across a "rude" CM. I guess I've just been lucky. Or maybe my perception of rude is not the same as most people. My husband jokes around with me that I'm rude oftentimes. I guess sometimes my delivery is just a bit direct and to the point, but I rarely ever am purposefully rude. If I get that kind of response, I never automatically assume the person is being rude, as that is how I speak to a lot of people too. I think just sometimes, people perceive something one way, when it was not meant that way at all. I have struggled with this my whole life. I sort of have a lack of empathy in my tone a lot, although it's not due to an actual lack of empathy, you know? Similarly, I don't gush over other people's babies and such. I don't sugar coat things, and I never talk with a syrupy sweet voice, even to a child. I speak to my children like they are adults and treat everyone with respect. Sometimes, though, people take what I say the wrong way.

Thus, I tend not to overanalyze people's tones of voice. Rudeness, to me, is a purposeful lack of attention, or a blatant display of behavior that is not socially acceptable (like line cutting). Anything other than that just rolls off my back.

I would never, in a million years, base my decision to visit WDW or anyplace else on the perceived rudeness of the general population in that place. That's just silly, IMO.

SBETigg
11-30-2011, 09:29 AM
I've read about some rude CMs, but honestly, in my past few trips, every CM I've come across has been super, extremely friendly and efficient. So obviously, they're not all rude.

MOJoe
11-30-2011, 10:09 AM
To me, it's not that there are just more rude and ignorant people at WDW. There are more people - Period. An overall increase in crowds adds to the stress in any situation. And because there are more people, there are absolutely more rude and ignorant people too.

There are constant questions here on Intercot about "when is the best time to visit WDW?" and "how do i avoid the crowds?" Find a way to do that and the rude people will magically disappear. ;)

azcavalier
11-30-2011, 10:17 AM
And I can't think of any rude guests i've ever really run across. Clueless, sure. But outright rude? No.

But, we rarely wait in a line that is so long that people would even bother to cut. If it's that long, we skip it and come back later, or we use FP and come back later.

I've never had another guest affect a meal in a negative way. The only real interaction we've ever had with other guests at a meal is at a place like Teppan Edo where they will seat strangers with you, but they have always been fantastic people.

I've seen a couple of out of control kids that parents' seemed oblivious to, but I don't consider that rude, really. They just parent differently than I do.

Even if I had run across someone who was actually rude, my first thought would be, "What's their problem?" Other's attitudes would never cause me to change doing what I enjoy.

Remember, no one can *give* offense. Offense must be taken. If you choose not to accept, then what's the problem?

brownie
11-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Why let others ruin your trip? You can't control what others do, but you can control how you respond. I would not let this keep me from making trips to Disney World.

ransam
11-30-2011, 10:48 AM
i've been one of the lucky ones i guess. I have seldom run into anyone rude at WDW. Only two situations i can rememer. One a bus driver and after thinking of it, he wasn't rude, just didn't speak english very well and i took it that way. Looking back i think he was really trying to be helpful.
the other one was a lady at a bus stop, i guess she was a coordinator. but she was really rude.
other than that i ahve found that most people at disney are at their best.

MrPeetrie
11-30-2011, 12:22 PM
We just spent 10 days this past October in WDW. Truthfully, I found far fewer rude people than in past trips. And the parks were very crowded when we were there. (I think people were so thrilled to be "inside the Disney bubble" and out of the real-world economic malais that everyone was in a good mood.)

The only negative was the Food & Wine Festival on a Saturday Night. The park was PACKED with overly intoxicated guests. Still, they may have been drunk and obnoxious, but they were not rude. (I know I'm splitting hairs here, but guests were not overtly rude. Just drunk.)

Mousemates
11-30-2011, 12:48 PM
I find the guests at WDW to be no more rude than vacationers elsewhere...in fact, other than a few folks who seem to feel a little overly entitled simply because of the amount of money they have spent, disney vacationers are usally very polite...and the fact of the matter is that there is no perfect place to go on vacation where EVERYONE is ALWAYS polite. (And even if there were such a place, it wouldn't be long until rude people discovered it and messed it up too.) So, given the choice between staying at home and not getting away a few times a year (which likely would increase my stress load.....and likely make me a little less than perfectly polite myself:blush:... I think I 'll go ahead and keep an annual trip to WDW in my plans.

PrettyMinnie
11-30-2011, 01:50 PM
I think I am so happy just to be in WDW, I really don't pay very much attention to others around me who are being rude. If however, there is a particularly bad situation, I find it best to have fun with it and still enjoy my vacation. No sense it getting angry or upset because most of the time it is out of my control.

I do hope that you don't allow others to influence your vacation! If you want to go to WDW, then go!

Victor Kelly
12-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Define rude.

Soccer parents with triple wide strollers running over feet and generally using the stroller as a battering ram?

ECV's plowing through crowds and hitting people?

The parents that don't contain their children?

The people who try to cut in line to get to their party?

The people on their cell phones talking louder than a 747?

The flashes from cameras where flash pics are not supposed to be taken?

I will grant this, for each one of those I listed above, there hundreds more that do none of these things.

It is part of our society now to be inconsiderate and accept the behaviour as normal and ok.:ack:

mom2morgan
12-01-2011, 12:05 PM
well, I teach High School for a living, so I guess I've developed a high tolerance for rude ;-) Seriously, though - the only time I've experienced a rude CM was a very nasty bus driver last time. I was in the wrong, but I'd made an honest mistake, and he was quite bullying. Other than that, everyone has been great.

Ian
12-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I think I'm the exception to this, but all the stuff that seems to get others on the boards in a twist (people joining others in line ahead, flash pictures on rides, etc.) just don't bother me at all.

I've been to Disney so many times that it seems borderline absurd to worry about one or two people getting on a ride before me and the flash pictures thing I always just chalk up to folks being excited about the ride. It seriously doesn't bother me one bit.

Maybe I'm just laid back after all these years and all these trips, but there are sooooooo many bigger worries in life I would never waste a second worrying about keeping a first-time family from getting a good viewing spot for a parade so I could see it for the umpteenth hundred time. ;)

mom2morgan
12-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Maybe I'm just laid back after all these years and all these trips,

That makes a difference for sure! My first trip to Disney World was supposed to be our ONLY trip, and what a lot of pressure that put on everyone for it to be "perfect".

darthmacho
12-01-2011, 03:59 PM
We ran into a CM that wasn't just rude, he was belligerent (he yelled at a bunch of people that were crowding in the exit area of RnR because it was raining so hard) but that, and a few other rude guest/CM moments were more than made up for by the good. Can't say it will deter me from my vacation.

Mogie
12-01-2011, 05:48 PM
NEVER let other people bring down your vaca. Especially Disney. That goes for waiters, cab drivers, hotel staff, especially other vacationers and even Castmembers!

AmandaChan
12-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Wow, not a chance. I find there are way more nice people than rude people:thumbsup:

Me too! For every disgruntled person I see there's always at least a few smiling CM and a couple guests that will hold the door open for you while you're pushing your stroller through. I have had people hold my stroller in place for me twice while trying to wrangle it and a sleeping baby in my arms (a nice old man on a scooter held my stroller still while I laid my son in it after we got off of people mover). Or someone that walks up to you and asks you if you want their FP b/c they can't use them... or someone that gives up their seat on the bus to an older person or someone with a child.

Getting a little carried away but.... I have been guilty myself of being overwhelmed this past trip and getting upset but it was our first big family trip (dh and I always went alone) and it was really hard to adjust to. My brother in law is the slowest moving creature in the world and they have kids which I am not used to being around all of the time. When dh and I went out with our soon alone one day it was the best and most relaxing day ever regardless of the crowds and chaos that is Disney.

brivers222
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
never in a million years! If I tried to go through life avoiding things I like due to rude people encounters, I don't think i would EVER leave my house... even then my cat can be rude when he bites me bc he his hungry....

jillluvsdisney
12-02-2011, 05:04 PM
If I had more than a few bad experiences in the same restaurant or resort, I would avoid them. I can't imagine NOT going to WDW anymore because the whole place had gone downhill. I was just there a month ago and thought to myself or amazing and wonderful the cast members were at the AKL and all the parks. I've been visiting yearly for a long time and still think the it's an amazing place.

TheVBs
12-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Out of several visits to WDW I can only remember one rude guest. Let a cast member know what was going on, then didn't give it another thought. It most definitely didn't ruin anything for us.

We've had great experiences with other guests. People helping us out, chatting with us, etc. And we help others out when we can. Overall we often find this great inclusive atmosphere at Disney, people looking out for each other. It's one of the reasons we love to go there!

Daisy'sMom
12-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Why worry what other people are doing? Seems we are always able to point out what others are doing wrong. You are at Disney and should be enjoying yourself. Relax and smile.:mickey:

kbean
12-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Rude are you people with car size strollers that stop in the middle of a walk way with people behind you to get something out cuz ur brat kid is screaming!

SBETigg
12-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Define rude.

I don't think we need to define rude. I think we all know it and have dealt with it in the parks. Plus, everyone has their own pet peeves, which isn't necessarily rudeness from others as much as it speaks to who we are.

kemps@wdw
12-11-2011, 11:35 PM
I've always told my DD since she was a little girl (she's 18 now), that..."you can't control how people act...you can only control how you react". And when I'm @ WDW, I am CERTAINLY not going to let the rude actions/comments of others come between me and the Magic! Whether it's attention seeking, having a bad day, or just plain born-that-way, you almost have to pity the rude for waisting their time money to come to a place where they'll never "find the magic" :(

Disney4
12-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Oh, you guys means guests, not employees?

The guests, as mentioned, really haven't changed all that much over the years from what I recall.

Silly me, I read the words "disneyworld", "rude", "ignorant", and "people" and assumed Oahu meant the staff.

Zing! - But true! :thumbsup:

We just got back yesterday. Honestly, the helpful to rude/unknowledgeable castmembers has to be up to 72-25. Yep, 1 in four people working there that I had an interaction with either could not care less what I needed help with or had no idea how to help me.

This mindset that employees have there is really crippling the whole operations. I saw it time and time again - employees who were either two afraid or unable to figure out how to operate outside of the strict set of tasks that they were given.

Mightly big blinders management makes the castmembers wear there . . .

LostBoys
12-16-2011, 07:45 PM
There are people from many different cultures visiting WDW.
I have a bit of a problem with people who don't understand personal space and stand 2-3 inches (7 centimeters) close to me and my family (I'm an over protective Dad). I just sort of look and think "um, personal space must be different in their culture"
Also part of why we go to WDW when we do, less people. We learned this year that January 2,3,4,5 are still VERY crowded

LostBoys
12-16-2011, 07:56 PM
One other thing that really bothers me.
Able bodied Men or teenage boys who won't get up and give their seat on a WDW bus, Monorail or other group transport to a Mother with small children.
Last trip a Mother was struggling with one small sleeping child in her arms and another in tow. Not one able bodied person got up to offer her a seat on a crowded bus until she struggled to the back section of the bus where I was seated and I got up and gave her my seat. The look of relief and gratitude in her eyes made a huge statement.
It also made for a funny story as our 9 year old son got stuck with an amorous young couple who were not shy about PDA's about 6 inches from his head.

CanadaLovesDisney
12-17-2011, 11:20 AM
I can honestly say I don't recall any rude cast members. Some guests can be rude but we don't let it bother us. We encounter the public everyday and there is always that one person out to ruin your day. Just don't let them!

After paying all that money to be there you just have to stay on the positive side and just remember how lucky you are to be in DISNEY WORLD! After all it is the happiest place on earth! (that's why we keep going back)

:)

ronandjulie
01-16-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't run into too many rude people. What we encounter are people so overwhelmed that they are oblivious to everything and everyone around them. The "side-by-side slow walkers". The "I'm trying to teach my kid a lesson so I'm letting him cry" people. The "My family is ahead of us in line" people. etc. I don't think they mean to be rude, they just forget that there are 60,000 people behind them.

KatrinaJ91
01-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Nah. There are rude people everywhere in life. I just ignore them. If I tried to avoid rude people, I'd never leave my house, and that's no way to live.

Rise above it. Laugh at their rudeness and walk away thinking "You poor, pathetic soul."

Plus, nothing irks a rude person more than acting like you aren't even bothered by their snarky comments! :thumbsup:

I totally agree! I wouldn't give up Disney for anything...especially because of other people. You make your own fun and ignore the ignorance of others.

KatrinaJ91
01-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Zing! - But true! :thumbsup:

We just got back yesterday. Honestly, the helpful to rude/unknowledgeable castmembers has to be up to 72-25. Yep, 1 in four people working there that I had an interaction with either could not care less what I needed help with or had no idea how to help me.

This mindset that employees have there is really crippling the whole operations. I saw it time and time again - employees who were either two afraid or unable to figure out how to operate outside of the strict set of tasks that they were given.

Mightly big blinders management makes the castmembers wear there . . .

I don't understand this at all. We go once or twice a year and I can't recall a single CM that I would consider rude. They go through training on the Disney image and customer service. I have seen CMs that are unsure of how to handle situations, but they get help or direct customers to where they can get help. We talk with CMs all the time when we are in line or just walking around and I would say 90% of them are awesome!

murphy1
01-18-2012, 09:23 AM
This is what I've heard from CMs I am related to and friends with, some people expect more at Disney than any other vacation they have. Sometimes they can get a bit rude about things, they seem to forget that other people are trying to have a good experience, too. My biggest pet peeve these days (which I see happening a lot more even in Disney) is when people stop in the middle of a major walkway to either text or make a phone call.

lightyearfan
01-18-2012, 01:41 PM
me and dw were just at WDW this past oct, and yes we did encounter some rude people, although this won't detour us from going in the future espcically since were DVC memebers now, we won't let a few rude people ruin our fun. i have noticed that they're allot more kids running around unsupervised and this to us seems to be the problem for the rudness, because lets face it kids will be kids, we haven't dealt with much rudness from the adults. as far as some cm's being rude ya we've noticed this too, i guess when you deal with thousands upon thousands of people everyday this could happen altough shouldn't be used as an excuse for the rudness.

this is of course (imho)

victor

ransam
01-19-2012, 12:20 PM
I was going to respond to the poster who mentioned about evc drivers who "plow" into people, but realized it's not worth it, and i won't let your rudeness bother me. I will say this, i honestly hope you are never in a position where an EVC is necessary. It's not fun.

ronandjulie
01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
I was going to respond to the poster who mentioned about evc drivers who "plow" into people, but realized it's not worth it, and i won't let your rudeness bother me. I will say this, i honestly hope you are never in a position where an EVC is necessary. It's not fun.

I don't think the poster was complaining about someone's need for an ECV. I think they were referring to SOME of the ECV drivers who show complete lack of concern for other guests and try to force their way through crowds. It's bad enough when someone on foot pushes you, or when you get hit by a stroller, but when you get hit with one of them, it really hurts.

Cjsmom1811
02-05-2012, 01:34 AM
I dont believe that I have ever run into a rude CM. Theyve always made my experience MAGICAL!!!! :pixie:

I grew up in Baltimore City so I am BEYOND use to rude and ignorant people, so it's nothing new to me! I will NEVER forget, however, one trip when I was in middle school. My mother and I were next in-line to get an autograph book and a couple who spoke no english what so ever walked right infront of us before we could even take a step forward. They litteraly RAN to get infront of us! The CM was baffled at what had happened, but my mother gave a gesture to tell her that it was ok.

dyin tago
02-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I agree that the majority of people on those evc`s seem to have an attitude that they have the right of way .

LudwigVonDrake
02-05-2012, 11:52 AM
You're going to run into rude people wherever you go. I try and let it roll off my back and concentrate on having a good time and not let it get to me.