PDA

View Full Version : Character meals for adults/teens?

mom2morgan
11-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Would you? We've always done Character meals in the past, but my kids are now 14 and 18, and I don't think my hubby ever thought they were a "must do", and yet I can't imagine a trip without one! And if you WOULD, which do you think would be the most fun? (for sure not Cindy's Table - my daughter didn't like that one that much and she was only 10 last time we went). Believe it or not, but husband really likes Akershus (he's Danish) even though atmosphere is pretty similar to Cindys. I was thinking maybe 1900 Park Fare, because of the step-sisters (I wish they still did a full on villain's breakfast!). Any other thoughts.

Disney4us2
11-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Our two favorite character meals are 1900 Park Fare for dinner. Those stepsisters are a hoot.
Also there is Cinderella, the Prince and Lady Tremaine (stepmom). This one is a buffet.

The other one we enjoy is more low key. It is the Garden Grill at Epcot. It is all you care to eat, but not a buffet. They bring the food to the table. We have only been on the lower tier and the booths have high backs and sides giving a more private dining experience. The characters there are Farmer Mickey, Pluto and Chip & Dale.

We were there last in August with a 14 yo and an 11 yo. Both girls and they loved it.

ElenitaB
11-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Marci, get out of my head! ;)

Disney4us2's suggestion of 1900 Park Fare for dinner and Garden Grill are exactly what I was going to suggest. I would also add 'Ohana for breakfast. We had a lot of fun with Stitch there.

tinxmom
11-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Believe it or not, Crystal Palace was a must-do on our most recent trip (one 20 yr old, one 19 yr old, one 15 yr old, one 13 yr old and an 11 yr old). Kids all insisted it was their fave - food and location made it a must do! Other one they all LOVED was 50's Diner at DHS. Waitress picked on them all mercilessly - it was a hoot! (No characters, but a really fun meal)

Maleficent_vf
11-28-2011, 06:34 PM
We enjoy the Garden Grill :thumbsup: and have made it a semi-regular stop. Good food (much of which is harvested from "The Land" if I'm not mistaken), served family style.

On our last trip we tried Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. It's buffet, so there are lots of choices. We were seated in what seemed like a side area - while the main area seemed to be noisy, our area wasn't. We had a nice view of the monorail as it sailed through the Contemporary lobby. Mickey, Minnie and the gang are featured here. :thumbsup:

Also, there's breakfast at the Cape May Cafe at the Beach Club - it features Goofy :goofy2: and Chip and Dale. That was a fun visit!

I would go to all of them again. My travel party is all adults and we always try to schedule at least one character meal on every trip!

Janmac
11-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Here's another vote for 1900 Park Fare for supper. We brought some newbies with us on our last trip - 50s couple - and they thought Lady Tremaine was a hoot. Big hit with them.

And friends went last summer - 30 somethings with their 6 yr old daughter. It was his birthday and Lady Tremaine didn't let that go unremarked either.

As much fun as that was, they really enjoyed watching the step-sisters fuss over a small special needs boy at a table near them. He was covered in lipstick from their kisses and was in heaven at all the attention.

We have ADRs here on our next trip. :thumbsup:

Jan

Disney4us2
11-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Marci, get out of my head! ;)

Disney4us2's suggestion of 1900 Park Fare for dinner and Garden Grill are exactly what I was going to suggest. I would also add 'Ohana for breakfast. We had a lot of fun with Stitch there.

LOL:funny: Great minds think a like.

FaithTrustPixieDust
11-28-2011, 07:15 PM
We did TONS of character meals when my kids were younger. On our next trip, we are scaling it down, but still have to do at least one character meal. Something about being at Disney gives us all permission to act like kids and go along with the Magic! I agree with the previous suggestions . . . . go with some of these meals with fun, crazy characters rather than the sweet characters.

For young kids we would all suggest Winnie the Pooh and Princesses. For teenagers (and beyond!), stepsisters, Stitch, and chipmunks should be a big hit! :mickey:

faline
11-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Typically, my husband and I don't travel with children and, if we waited for the rare time(s) when we do, we'd never go to character meals. These days, we typically book at least one character meal per trip for just us adults!!

JPL
11-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Donald's Breakfast Safari at Tusker House is also a good choice. Above average food and classic characters. :mickey:

gerald72
11-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Even adults can enjoy character meals!
I tell my kids when you go through the gates of the Magic Kingdom, everyone is legally a kid again. That's why they don't serve beer.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
11-28-2011, 08:59 PM
My almost 17 yr old DD and I are planning a Birthday (mine)/Graduation (hers) trip in June and she's insisting on Garden Grill, Tusker House (breakfast) and our last meal before leaving may be breakfast at Crystal Palace.

Rhetoric2000
12-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Sorry to be unoriginal but this is another recommendation for 1900 Park Fayre - easily the best "character meal for grownpus" available. That applies both to the characters, who tend to be some of the strongest actors on property, and to the food, which is of a very good standard.

However the people-watching at Crystal Palace breaksfast is wonderful as it is probably the meal where you see the most kids meeting characters for the first time.

DizneyRox
12-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Donald's Breakfast is easily the best breakfast on property. We did it at least once a trip.

Liberty Tree Tavern was a very good dinner experience as well, when they had characters. But you can cross that off the list these days.

Garden Grill never did disappoint, however it's getting increasingly harder to get in there since they only do one meal a day (or they did last I checked).

A great meal that doesn't have characters, but is wildly entertaining for young and old alike is the Hoop dee doo over at Fort Wilderness. It's pricy, but that is always a must do. We did it for years without kids, even did our rehearsal dinner there for our wedding.

I wasn't a big fan of Ohanas (for any meal). We did 1900 a number of years back and it was acceptable, but unmemorable. Cape May is good, but a pain to get to. We did enjoy Cindy's for dinner. They have changed the show since our last visit. Breakfast there though isn't 1/2 of what it's cracked up to be.

Cinderelley
12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Breakfast at Crystal Palace has turned out to be a must do for every trip we've taken - most of them "adult only".

coloradowendyl
12-06-2011, 01:30 PM
There would be mutiny in our house by my 20 and 17 yr old boys if we didn't do breakfast at the Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Faire as well as a dinner at 1900 Park Faire.

Wendy

mydisneygirls
12-06-2011, 03:18 PM
No one is ever too old!!!! I would say 1900 Park Fare. I don't know if you have a boy, but I've seen older boys propose marriage to one of the stepsisters. It is hilarious to watch!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
We booked Crystal Palace for dinner last trip, but not for the character interaction. While we were on the outside porch waiting to be called Tigger was passing by inside and saw my 14 year old son sitting there. He opened the door and held out his hand for my son to shake. When my son went to shake his hand, he quickly pulled it away and through his hair like he was too cool. When we got seated inside my son couldn't wait to pull the trick back on Tigger. We got a kick out of it and some of our best pictures from that trip from this meal. Before that moment, my son had declared himself too old for characters.

For that reason, I decided we must have at least one character meal this trip. We are trying 1900 Park Fare for breakfast. I say, nobody's too old to be a kid at Disney.:D

SBETigg
12-06-2011, 04:20 PM
No one is too old for character meals, and if that's your thing, you should definitely plan for it. We don't love character meals, haven't been to one since the kids were 14 and 12. Not to say that we wouldn't, just that we are not inclined to it and don't miss it. I generally don't like buffets and do like fine dining. Our can't-miss meals are more cuisine-oriented. Our kids were relieved when we said they didn't have to do character meals anymore.

brivers222
12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
my wife and I are 27 and 34 repectfully.... no kids and because of Deluxe Dining Plan on our DISNEYmoon here are just the character dining we are doing!

Garden Grill Dinner
Crystal Palace Dinner
Cinderella's Castle Breakfast
Cinderella's Castle Dinner
Ohana Breakfast (x2)
Cape May Cafe
Chef Mickey Breakfast
Chef Mickey Dinner
Tusker House Breakfast

Interacting with the characters are what makes Disney so enjoyable :)