PDA

View Full Version : Having the DDP but paying out of pocket

Mitzie
11-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Can we do this: DD is still super picky and would still rather eat off the children's menu. She is also very tiny..doesn't eat much. Can we still order off the childrens menus for her and just pay out of pocket and use her adult credits later for someone else in our party? All are on the dining plan and under the same reservation number. So the credits are all on the same KTTW card. We would want to do this at both CS and TS locations.

WRWDisney
11-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Hopefully someone else will come along and confirm, but you should be able to (at least you use to be able to).

I know the feeling; our 16 year old daughter weights 95lbs., is barely 5 feet tall, runs track, and eats like a bird (most of the time :mickey:).

Plus, given the size of meals most places, kids meals are often more than enough food (last night my wife at the kids ribs meal from Outback Steak House).

Even if she doesn't want the kids meal, appetizers and the salad menu should give you some options on how to best maximize your use of adult meal credits.

Butters
11-28-2011, 02:26 PM
As long as she is on the adult DDP this plan would work since you can use your credits on anyone staying on that reservation in any order you want.

mom2morgan
11-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Yep - would totally work! Last time we went I got really sick, so I didn't eat our first few meals. They were happy to let me sit with my family and just order some juice OOP when I wasn't up to food - even at the buffet locations and Cindy's table, although I was told originally that just by being in attendance they'd take my credit.
We used my unused credits later in the week to go enjoy a 2 TS credit meal we otherwise wouldn't have.

Can we do this: DD is still super picky and would still rather eat off the children's menu. She is also very tiny..doesn't eat much. Can we still order off the childrens menus for her and just pay out of pocket and use her adult credits later for someone else in our party? All are on the dining plan and under the same reservation number. So the credits are all on the same KTTW card. We would want to do this at both CS and TS locations.

azcavalier
11-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Just tell the server *up front* that her meal will be on a separate check, and I think you would have no problem. If you wait until after you've ordered and are getting ready to pay the bill, then it becomes a lot more complicated.

Mitzie
11-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Yep - would totally work! Last time we went I got really sick, so I didn't eat our first few meals. They were happy to let me sit with my family and just order some juice OOP when I wasn't up to food - even at the buffet locations and Cindy's table, although I was told originally that just by being in attendance they'd take my credit.
We used my unused credits later in the week to go enjoy a 2 TS credit meal we otherwise wouldn't have.

I am so sorry you got sick on your trip, that sounds just miserable. :( It was nice of Disney to accommodate you and your family. Hope the trip still turned out magical for you and yours.

Ian
11-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Yep, as long as she's on the adult DDP and the person using the meal credit is an adult also you'll be fine doing it this way.

Just make sure upfront to tell the server that's how you're doing it and, unless you plan on charging her meal on your room key, I'd ask for a separate check. I continue to find the way they handle the cash portion of DDP meals frustrating since they pretty much automatically charge it to your room key unless you specifically tell them not to.

Also, one quirk with the DDP, you can't use an adult meal credit for a child's meal which is a bit weird. Just thought I'd mention that in case you had other kids traveling in your party that were under 10 and wanted to use DD's adult meal credit for them.

mom2morgan
11-28-2011, 04:33 PM
I am so sorry you got sick on your trip, that sounds just miserable. :( It was nice of Disney to accommodate you and your family. Hope the trip still turned out magical for you and yours.

Awe, thanks, Mitzie! It was like my worst fear come true, but after one day of staying in bed, and a couple days of taking it easy (no rides, no food, LOL) I enjoyed the rest of my trip very much. Funny - looking back on it, I mainly remember all the fun stuff and hardly even remember the 3 days when I was below par!