PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Gift Request

Disney4us2
11-22-2011, 12:04 AM
The other day I asked my father what he wanted for Christmas. His answer surprised me. He wants a long handle shoe horn. That is not so unusual. The other request was for a new toilet seat... the padded kind. I burst out laughing, but he was serious. How am I going to wrap that up:funny:

Anyone else get unusual gift requests?

MissMaryPoppins
11-22-2011, 01:41 AM
When we ask my father what he wants for Christmas he tells us he wants underwear and hankies. Every. Single. Year.

My father is big into classic movies and when I was growing up I watched a lot of movies with him. The Christmas I was 2 my mom asked me what I wanted Santa to bring me and I told her I wanted Laurel and Hardy dolls which I called "Fat and Skinny dolls". My mother told me she and one of our cousins called every toy store in NJ and NYC and of course no one had them. My mom ended up asking my Granma if she make them and she finished them in time for my parents to bring them home on Christmas Eve. We have a home movie of me opening them. My mom and dad told me Santa couldn't find them anywhere so Mrs. Claus made the just for me. My mom recently told me after I opened the dolls they couldn't get me interested in opening my other gifts.

hoop de do
11-22-2011, 09:20 AM
I would wrap it like a wreath with a bow on the "rear end." :D

magicofdisney
11-22-2011, 10:48 AM
This was not a request.

My husband and I had been married a couple of years. He always had a hard time surprising me with gifts. This particular year he was determined to surprise me with at least 1 item. He wrapped it fairly well. There were no little holes to peak inside and possibly double wrapped so no writing on the package was detectable. I also was not allowed to ask ANY questions about this gift.

For a couple of weeks that gift sat under the tree taunting me. To add to my excitement, it was HEAVY. Of course I associate quality with weight so this was sure to please. Additionally, the item was not in a box, but wrapped in it's native form. I was clueless; he was ecstatic.

Here's the thing; to him this was a genuine gift of love. He did not simply buy this item just to perplex me. In his mind, he was showing how much he cared for my well being.

Christmas morning arrived and I had barely slept. It reminded me of my childhood, waiting anxiously to uncover the unknown. I didn't tear into right away. In some ways I didn't want the anticipation to end. When I finally picked up the gift and began to unwrap, my heart sank with the the first reveal. The package contained a brand-spanking new pair of jumper cables!

For a brief moment I thought it might have been a joke, but the look on his face said otherwise. Although he was proud to genuinely surprise me, he was happier with his decision to provide me with "protection" from the worries of breaking down and being stranded.

SBETigg
11-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Oh, Genna, too funny! Classic case of men and women having different expectations. But very sweet.

I wish I would get unusual gift requests. As it is, I get no requests. No one ever has a list or offers any idea what they could possibly want. I make it easy for everyone, every year, a list with many price options. And they just want me to guess. "Oh, I don't want anything special." Really?

Janmac
11-22-2011, 12:10 PM
No one ever has a list or offers any idea what they could possibly want. I make it easy for everyone, every year, a list with many price options. And they just want me to guess. "Oh, I don't want anything special." Really?

This is my situation. I started the detailed lists - complete with websites and item numbers - after receiving some very odd gifts, especially from DH. If they were along the lines of Genna's jumper cables, at least they'd be handy or useful. DH is one of those really kind, thoughtful folks who has no clue what to get folks for gifts.

I'm the idea clearing house, too, for everyone else; they're all asking what does he or she want?!? And yet these same folks who don't give out ideas, get their panties in a twist if gifts get returned to the store for something else. Good grief! :confused:

DH is really bad for "I don't need anything". Not going to happen. You can't give gifts to others and get nothing in return. Lately DD - whose own DD just went off to college - is doing the same thing. "We don't need anything, don't bother." To which I reply, I don't need anything either.

:D

Somebody could probably make a lot of money marketing plaques with "Nothing Special" on them. :thumbsup:

Jan

Janmac
11-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Forgot the thread topic. Our youngest grandson when he was three wanted a "big gun wif a fevver."

Meaning a big feather tied to the barrel end of the rifle. Santa brought it too, but DH thought at first that the feather was on the stock.

Jan

DVC2004
11-22-2011, 01:02 PM
My son, a few years ago, requested a Time Machine. No joke. I was telling him even Santa couldn't make that. Luckily his interests turned to something else so he wasn't disappointed on Christmas morning.

Ed
11-22-2011, 09:36 PM
One of my grandsons, when he was about 6, told his mom that all he wanted for Christmas was a roller-type lint remover. :shrug:

So, she got him a warehouse-club size package of a dozen of them.

And, of course, a few more goodies.... :D

NewDVCowner
11-23-2011, 11:29 AM
I just went to a six year olds birthday party and the one thing that she wanted as a real ironing board.

She got one, too. Very happy girl. :mickey:

Dopey's Girl
11-25-2011, 06:04 PM
My mom requests white t shirts every year. Doesn't sound strange right? Well since I can count on one hand the number of times she wears white t shirts each year, I think it's odd.

MissMaryPoppins
11-28-2011, 12:37 AM
This isn't a request but definitely unusual. My Granma isn't a good gift giver for her grandchildren now that we're either adults or teenagers. She's not so good at giving gifts to her kids either. Instead of just giving us gift cards, which everyone has suggested, she insists on giving us a gift. The Christmas I was in my junior year of high school my Granma proudly handed me my gift to open. It was a clothes box and one of my cousins had gotten flannel pajamas from her and I hoped I did too. I didn't. Inside was a sweatsuit. It had a sweatshirt with a collar like a golf shirt and one side of the shirt was maroon and that side of the collar was green. The other side of the shirt was green with that side of the collar being maroon. The pants had one maroon leg and a green leg. There was also contrasting stitching on the bottom hem of the shirt and at the cuffon the sleeves. It was without a doubt ugly but I had to play along and I was so embarrassed when I saw my favorite uncle and a few of my cousins laughing. I thanked
her for it and she told me it was easy to shop for me that year. All of us teenagers like ugly clothes so all she did was go into a store and buy the ugliest thing she saw. I looked up at my Granpa who was making the face he made when he was annoyed and
shaking his head. I smiled and said "well gram, you did a great job." My Granpa got a kick out of that.