PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom

richardrr
11-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Is it really worth it to be at the Safari at AK at 8 AM during Extra magic hours as I've heard?

BriarRose0708
11-20-2011, 08:22 AM
For me, anytime you can get to Animal Kingdom for an early morning Safari it is worth it, whether it's an 8 or 9 a.m. opening. EMH or not, the lines are usually shorter for whatever attraction you want, including EE and the safari.

I have done safaris in the early morning and late afternoon, and for me the morning ones are usually best. If you typically go during a hot time of the year like summer going in the early morning means more animals will be active and in visible light as opposed to resting and hiding in the shade to beat the heat. If your goal is to see a lot of animals then early morning is for you. I have heard that in the autumn/winter dusk is also a good time to see many animals on the safari since the park is typically open until 4 or 5 p.m. when the sun starts to set. The animals that are more active on the nocturnal side like lions can be seen walking about instead of laying down like I've always seen them (even in the morning!).

One thing's for sure- even though the script doesn't change, I've never been on the same safari twice! You can't control when a giraffe will block your way or a white rhino is standing next to the road so close you can see the textures in his skin. No matter what time of day you go it will be an awesome experience!

Jillirose
11-20-2011, 12:46 PM
We never get up early enough to enjoy the extra hours, but always make the safari our first stop in the morning, the lines can get incredibly long.

gaffz70
11-20-2011, 02:52 PM
We have not done the safari yet b/c we always go in August and with it being so hot, the safari doesn't sound so appealing. But just curious from those who have been there in the heat...is it worth it? Are the animals active at all etc?

Disney4us2
11-20-2011, 04:51 PM
We have not done the safari yet b/c we always go in August and with it being so hot, the safari doesn't sound so appealing. But just curious from those who have been there in the heat...is it worth it? Are the animals active at all etc?

We did the safari this past August. It was hot, but the safari was great. We did it around 10am and saw a lot of animals moving around, except the lions. There was a crane almost close enough to touch next to our jeep. We really enjoyed it. Didn't feel too hot.

It is worth it to get there early vs. later in the day.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
11-21-2011, 09:33 AM
The best time to see animals in ANY zoo setting is in the morning with it is the coolest. So, yes going for EMH at AK is worth it.

NewDVCowner
11-21-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure if this was a one time thing, but when I was there last Christmas with my family we came in on the EMH and headed right to the safari, we were told that it wouldn't open until 'regular' park opening when we got to the enterence of the ride. You might want to check on that before making a special trip.

We made the most of the time by heading over to EE and riding it non stop several times (I only made it four before I was sure I was going to be sick. My sisters made it seven! :sick:)

azcavalier
11-22-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure if this was a one time thing, but when I was there last Christmas with my family we came in on the EMH and headed right to the safari, we were told that it wouldn't open until 'regular' park opening when we got to the enterence of the ride. You might want to check on that before making a special trip.

We made the most of the time by heading over to EE and riding it non stop several times (I only made it four before I was sure I was going to be sick. My sisters made it seven! :sick:)

You made it four times? Twice, and then my stomach starts to feel it. That's all for me.

I think I remember trying to go ride the safari first thing and it wasn't open yet. So we usually head to Dinoland while one person grabs FP to EE.