PDA

View Full Version : Aug trip need help

pcoleman
11-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Just booked POP on the military deal for next August. Going to be a girls trip, myself, MIL and DD for her 11th birthday. Just could not pass up the deal. Never been in August. All of us do good in the heat but just wondering how bad will it be? Also this is the first time i will be going with dietary restrictions. I have to eat low carb. I was not planning on any reservations, can I ask for something special if we do walk ups? Looking for any suggestions for eating and visiting this time of year.

barnaby
11-17-2011, 12:32 PM
We went the 3rd week of August last year and are booked for the same week next year at Pop also. :thumbsup:

The crowds are good, with the southern schools back in session. We caught a break last year with the weather. It rained everyday but it wasn't bad heat-wise. It was actually hotter and stickier in NJ then the week we were in WDW.

But yes, it is usually hot and humid. If you are OK with the heat, you'll be fine. But even if you do have some trouble, mid-day breaks help as does air-conditioned attractions and restaurants. There are multiple ways to beat the heat.

Have a great trip and thank you for your service!

Disney4
11-17-2011, 01:32 PM
It will be hot - really hot! I've had 105+ degree days in some parks. We usually leave around 1PM and hit the pool until nightfall when we go in August. However, the heat never really subsides. I have nicknamed the the August trips the "Disney Death March". Air movement is the biggest issue - with no breeze, it gets really sticky.

As far as reservations go, I would reccommend that if there is somewhere you really want to eat, reserve it. Better to plan ahead than be disappointed on your vacation. I have seen "no availability" in some of the more popular outlets even during this time of year.

With low carb restrictions, I think you should be ok with the TS menus. There are many salads and meat/seafood entree' items available to choose from. Just request no sauce/sides when ordering.

Janmac
11-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Bring cold packs. My niece bought up some every time she was at either Walgreens or Walmart. Just in case.

We were touring AK one morning - this was early September - and apparently I was looking overheated. My niece broke out a cold pack and slapped that up against the back of my neck. What a relief. I had not realized how hot I was getting. We also stopped immediately for some Mickey head ice creams. :mickey:

AK was the only park we had heat difficulties in. We were at the parks at rope drop every morning, left at lunch time. Spent the afternoons either in the pool or resting in our room.

One thing we noticed about touring in early September - it was hot, mid to upper 90s with dew points in the 70s - but it had also been hot at home. The year we went in June we were miserable, because it hadn't yet gotten hot at home, so we were not as used to the heat and humidity.

Our thought is that August and September are a lot more doable than June. Just keep hydrated, take it slow, and watch each other. :thumbsup:

Jan

SBETigg
11-17-2011, 03:02 PM
It is hot, and even though lots of us are used to summer heat, it is more intense in the parks on the pavement. Most of us are not outside for hours without a break at home as we are at WDW.

Our strategy is to do more outdoor things in the morning and evenings and have an afternoon break at the resort. It makes sense to eat the longer, bigger meals during the hottest part of the day. Typically, we'll grab and go for breakfast, have our biggest meal as a late lunch, and do quick service or snacks at night.

It's absolutely necessary to stay hydrated, and for us this means stopping for a bottled water every few rides. My husband has a lower heat tolerance than the rest of us, so we won't even do outdoor quick service-- it has to be a place where we can sit down with AC for a break. Sunblock is important, hats help, wearing light colors (which is hard for me, as I prefer black), and making sure to break up outdoor time with indoor attractions.

darthmacho
11-17-2011, 03:14 PM
August is our new time to go too. We're going to book the same time and resort for next year too! It is excruciatingly hot at that time of year, and of course it's very humid. There is often rain and always the threat of a hurricane. Nonetheless, I'd say it's a good, affordable time to go when my kids are out of school and I can afford it. There are plenty of ways to keep cool at the parks. :mickey:

gaffz70
11-17-2011, 08:18 PM
We always go in aug, it just works for our schedules. The later in the month you go, the better the crowds. It's definitely hot, but it's also hot at home so it's not a huge culture shock. It also gives us time to enjoy the hotel and pool- head to parks early, pool break in the afternoon, then back to the parks at night. Have a great trip!