PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Guilt!

DVC2004
11-17-2011, 12:14 PM
We usually spend Thanksgiving with my sister, her family, and my mom. Either she cooks/hosts or I do. This year, my husband has requested we spend Thanksgiving "alone", meaning just us and the kids. He wants to go to Chicago for 2 nights, stay in a hotel, see the parade, and have Thanksgiving at a restaurant. It sounds fun to me, and I found a really good hotel rate. But I feel so guilty not spending the day with my family! I guess on the other hand we will see them at Christmas. They won't want to participate in the "downtown" Thanksgiving with us but I know they will be disappointed we won't be there. What would you do? I'm torn.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-17-2011, 01:07 PM
I say go for it...we did 25 years of big family Thanksgivings and when we finally did a small intimate Thanksgiving we all said we couldn't remember a better Thanksgiving. Nothing against the family I just think it takes a lot of pressure off not having to worry if the house is clean enough, if you have enough food, getting everything done on time etc...then when you do the big family get together it will seem even more special:turkey::pilgram2::pilgram:

Scott C
11-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I quit doing Thanksgiving with my parents about 10 years ago. There were several issues but it basically came down to the fact that I work retail and Thanksgiving is my only day off between Nov 1 and Dec 25th. It was not worth the hassle of fitting in to everyone's schedule to make it a big family deal anymore. We still get together at other times of the year -- But I set aside this one for just the wife and kids.

Try going downtown for a year and if it doesn't work out for you there is always next year.

Scott C

DizneyRox
11-17-2011, 01:23 PM
hehe I try to plan awat trips around the holidays to get away from the family thing. With all the divorces, etc we end up on the road more than not. It got old real fast, so having an excuse, "Oh, we're going to be away for XMas!" is an easy way out.

And less dishes to clean up!

Janmac
11-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Look at if from the point of view of the memories your kids will have of this Thanksgiving. Most kids love hotels and parades. What a memorable adventure!

For several years we did have Thanksgiving at a restaurant. Neither my mother nor my grandmother were the kind to do up a big meal in their own kitchens and didn't want to come all the way (less than an hour :D) to my place. It was nice not having to clean up, etc. And to make it more fun I would make corsages for us and one to give our server, who had to work on the holiday. Made it more festive.

As was said, you could try it once and if it doesn't work out, don't do it again.

Jan

SBETigg
11-17-2011, 02:52 PM
I think you should go for it. We moved to Michigan from MA (where family is) for about a year and a half, and my kids thought it was the best Thanksgiving and Christmas ever. Not that they don't love the extended family, just that we did everything at our own pace, just us, and there was none of that rushing around or pressure to be somewhere else or follow long-established traditions. While I missed my family, I actually ended up thinking it was pretty great, too. My family missed us, but they dealt with it. It's only one time. If you love it, you might make a new tradition. If you hate it, there's always next year.

buzznwoodysmom
11-17-2011, 05:53 PM
I'd go for it. As much as I love my family, and my in laws, some of our most memorable holidays are those we "went away" for. We've pretty much done it all, Easter in Colorado, Halloween and Thanksgiving in WDW, also Mardi Gras in WDW, Father's Day in San Antonio, Mother's Day in New Orleans, 4th of July at the beach, and this year we'll be in WDW for Christmas. I don't feel guilty about it at all. Both DH and myself have spent over 30 years spending Christmas with our families, running from house to house trying to please everyone, but in the end exhausting ourselves. This year is for us, we will be able to do what we want when we want, and it'll be nice to spend that time focused on just the 4 of us. I don't think I'd ever go away for every holiday all in one year, and we probably wouldn't go two years for Christmas in a row, but once in a while you need to do what you want.

jennbunn
11-20-2011, 07:24 PM
We have started doing our own dinner on thanksgiving and we love it. I love my family but between all the running to diffrent houses it just got to be too much. This year we are also spending christmas day at home and I can not wait. We see everyone at other times of the year. Enjoy your Holiday.

White Rose
11-21-2011, 05:04 PM
I can understand the guilt, but trust me, you'll still have a good time! It sounds like a wonderful time you have planned and it will be very well worth it just spend some time with your immediate family.

My family has been our "own" Thanksgiving now for several years and I have to say, it's grown on me significantly. We see our extended family at Christmas and there's no ill will between us but we enjoy our independent Thanksgivings. We started the tradition as my uncle and his wife own cats and my mother and sister are deathly allergic....it also began after we discovered one of their cats had decided to...um...relieve himself on the table where we had Thanksgiving dinner....so...yes, still not regretting that decision at all!

It's also nice because we make up our own "traditions" and we have it as a "come as you are." My mother's only stipulation is that you shower and change out of PJs before sitting at the table to eat! This means I enjoy a hearty meal in my sweat pants and a tshirt! :D

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Go for it! You're making family memories that your children will love to look back on when they have their own families!

We have never done Christmas eve anything when I was growing up. We decided to do Christmas eve a few years back and we love having christmas eve with extended family. Then Christmas morning its just us running downstairs to see what Santa brought. My parents and sisters come over for breakfast to watch my dd's open Santa's presents. And we don't have to rush and cook for anything.

We love having Christmas morning to ourselves.

Go for it!!!!!!! You may inspire someone else in your family that may be thinking they want to do the same thing but, never had the guts to do it! :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
11-22-2011, 10:25 AM
We've always spent Thanksgiving with my husband's family, mine or both.

Last year we went away for Thanksgiving and it was fabulous! This year we're doing the family thing again and I'm not dreading it as much. Getting away is simply needed at times. Enjoy! :)

DVC2004
11-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks, we decided to do it! My family was cool about it. We said we will stop by sometime over the weekend to visit with them. We all plan to be together Christmas Eve and I will cook. We are realy excited and I think it will be great memories like all of you said. Thanks for the encouragement!