PDA

View Full Version : John is right! (of course) I got caught by the monorail closing

plscott
11-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Hey All!
We're having a great time here in the World. Everything is beautiful and wonderful, but I did get caught in the great monorail debate last night. It is my fault, but perhaps my mistake will help someone else out. We are staying at Bay Lake Tower and yesterday visited Epcot. Had a perfect, magical day. We decided to leave the park at about 8:45 (I know because as I argued with the Monorail guy I looked at the time). The park was open until 9:00pm and there were signs stating the monorail operated until 10:00pm. Well, you already know my mistake. I guess I had tunnel vision about my itinerary and I did not keep up with the closing time of the MK. It's not that I ignored it, I just never thought about it. I should have known better (or at least that's what my wife kept telling me :funny: ). So at 8:45 we're standing at the monorail and the guy there stops us and asks where our final destination is and I told him. He says "you can't get on the monorail, you'll have to take a bus". I said "but it's 8:45!" He says "yes, but by the time you get to the TTC the resort monorail will have stopped running". We went on for a few minutes. Finally I told him that my final destination was the TTC and he let us get on the monorail. I had hoped he would be wrong (nope we ran up the ramp for the resort monorail at 9:02 and they stopped us) then I asked to get on the ferry boat so we could walk to Bay Lake from the MK (nope no transportation to MK). So, we got on a bus to contemporary. Fortunately, instead of waiting with thousands of people at Epcot there was only one other person waiting with us at the bus stop. Why didn't I want to get on the bus? Was I just being a jerk? I have a double stroller a single stroller, and my MIL has an ECV. Getting on a bus is a pain for us. However, my boys (5 year old triplets) LOVE riding Mickey's bus. So it was a happy ending after all. With only one other person at the bus stop getting the ECV on and strollers on was no problem and we got to sing "the wheels on the bus go round and round" to finish off the night. Great day with a happy ending. Just beware if you eventually want to take the resort monorail and your at Epcot on a night the MK closes at 8:00pm you must arrive before 8:45. We're off to the MK this morning and won't be home until Sunday, so flame away! I respond if I get a chance.

Paul

SBETigg
11-17-2011, 08:32 AM
To me, this a major nuisance. Epcot wasn't even closed yet and you can't count on monorail transportation to your resort? I know there are buses, but that is such a hassle. If you're paying to stay at a monorail resort, you should be able to count on the transportation options you have always had there. And I have been at different times of year, even when the MK closed early, and I've never had to bus from Epcot when staying at a monorail resort because the resort monorail wasn't running. This seems crazy to me.

It didn't affect me last trip because we tried the Beach Club. But we discovered that we still much prefer the monorail resorts, so this could be an issue for me next trip.

BrerGnat
11-17-2011, 08:39 AM
That is a TOTAL pain! Why would you be keeping track of MK closing time if you spent the night at Epcot? I wouldn't have known either. When I visit WDW, I am really only concerned with the park hours for the park I am currently visiting, or plan to visit that day. I have no idea what goes on, time wise, at the rest of the parks.

That is super annoying. They should run the monorail until 1 hour after whichever park closes later, be it MK or Epcot. It just makes no sense to have bus transportation to the MK resorts from Epcot, when the monorail is much more efficient.

What I want to know is, what about people who have late dinners (or even not so late) at the MK monorail resorts, who are staying at other MK monorail resorts? How do they get back to their hotel? Taxi? If I was staying at Contemporary, and had a late dinner at Poly or GF, and MK closed at 7pm, then what? You can't walk between these resorts, so what do you do?

Score another point for the Epcot resorts...

Buttercup
11-17-2011, 09:06 AM
What a pain!
I hope that you're enjoying your trip! (... paying so much for a monorail resort that doesn't let you use the monorail) :thedolls:
Just kidding! :D

I actually didn't agree with John when I thought it was just a problem on Extra Magic Hours nights... but now I think I do if it's pulling Epcot into the problem on a regular night. That really *****....

Aurora
11-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Plscott, thanks for reporting on your experience. This is what I was wondering when they first announced the changes. I can hardly believe how ridiculous this is.

That is a TOTAL pain! Why would you be keeping track of MK closing time if you spent the night at Epcot? I wouldn't have known either. When I visit WDW, I am really only concerned with the park hours for the park I am currently visiting, or plan to visit that day. I have no idea what goes on, time wise, at the rest of the parks.

That is super annoying. They should run the monorail until 1 hour after whichever park closes later, be it MK or Epcot. It just makes no sense to have bus transportation to the MK resorts from Epcot, when the monorail is much more efficient.

Here's exactly why the Disney excuse of early closing because of monorail maintenance makes absolutely no sense and is insulting to guests. There are ZERO maintenance or safety reasons for the MK resort monorail to close at 9 p.m. Precisely none. It simply makes it more inconvenient for everyone.

RazdOnDis
11-17-2011, 09:34 AM
I have to wonder exactly how much money they're saving by doing this. They have to know the inconvenience they're causing their guests. How much does it cost to operate a monorail for an hour?

I don't mind using the buses when it's necessary. But this means that ALL the affected park guests will using the buses and it just makes a sometimes hectic situation even worse. The case of the ECV and strollers is a perfect example. We went through all the grumbling and under-the-breath comments last October when my DGS was in a wheelchair due to bone replacement surgery. The crowd can get a little restless and impatient. Not to mention trying to stow everything else and take care of children.

Bad idea.

Victor Kelly
11-17-2011, 11:39 AM
First off, it is diminishing the reason to stay at a deluxe monorail resort.

Second it is a a reduction in service which all of us have been noticing over the years.

They cut 1 of 3 forms of transportation to and from MK. Monorails, boats, and buses.

I do not feel it is right for EMH guests that are at MK or Epcot get penalized by going to EMH by not being able to ride the monorail. So if you park at MK and hop to EPCOT, miss the close off time, you are penalized.

This just does not make good business sense to me. Especially since DVC is coming to all of the monorail resorts. Bang, one selling point gone right off the bat.

And, I hate to say this but, Universal got it right when they built their parking garages. Yes it is a walk but there are motorized walkways to and from City Walk. It may not be to the entrance, but it is a far better system.

At least install a wedway loop then from MK to TTC. Heck make it elevated to by 10 feet. Look at the original design that Walt had and you will see a dedicated wedway line from Epcot to MK.

W24toISMdirect
11-17-2011, 01:10 PM
There is NO possible justification for how Disney can charge a premimium for Monorail Resort, and then you would not be able to get from Epcot to Contemporary using the Monorail. I don't, and probably won't even stay at a monorail resort, but this is simply outrageous and guests at Contemporary, Polynisian and Grand Floridian should not be tolorating it. For the price they are chraged for such a service, it should be available more than it would ever need to be.

No excuses, unacceptable... and if it's safety issue, fix it. If you can't fix it, drop the price. Period.

Goes4FastPass
11-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Every service cut is a savings to the corporation.

One-stay-at-time guests like me can rant and say if enough cuts take place I will go to WDW less...

...but what about people who have paid in advance for decades of BLT? They're called DVC members who have BLT as their 'home'. Yeah, I know the Disney Corp didn't promise them monorail service but boy would I be disappointed.

A Big Kid
11-17-2011, 05:04 PM
I changed my january reservations from the Poly to POR FQ because I was not going to pay extra for an advertized perk that does not exist.

T--
11-17-2011, 07:14 PM
You watch Illuminations and MK closes at 8 or 9. You either have to catch a bus or drive to Epcot.
Bummer.

BrerGnat
11-17-2011, 07:18 PM
I changed my january reservations from the Poly to POR FQ because I was not going to pay extra for an advertized perk that does not exist.

I sort of feel like you should write to Disney to tell them that.

Money talks. If enough people do this, they will have a problem.

A Big Kid
11-17-2011, 08:22 PM
I sort of feel like you should write to Disney to tell them that.

Money talks. If enough people do this, they will have a problem.

Done. Right after I changed my reservations, I let them know. I sent them confirmation numbers, dates, etc.

tundramom
11-17-2011, 08:31 PM
We just got home last weekend and got caught in the morning. This may be the norm, but I've never run into it in the past....Staying at VWL, waiting one AM for EPCOT bus with many other plus ECV....waiting...I finally say, hey let's hop a MK bus and monorail over? MK buses running every 10' like clockwork, stroll over to Monorail station- Express line closed ! Take resort line to TTC and then bus. When I asked a Monorail CM when Express line opens in AM he said "usually around 11" Really???

A Big Kid
11-17-2011, 08:39 PM
We just got home last weekend and got caught in the morning. This may be the norm, but I've never run into it in the past....Staying at VWL, waiting one AM for EPCOT bus with many other plus ECV....waiting...I finally say, hey let's hop a MK bus and monorail over? MK buses running every 10' like clockwork, stroll over to Monorail station- Express line closed ! Take resort line to TTC and then bus. When I asked a Monorail CM when Express line opens in AM he said "usually around 11" Really???

I dont have a clue what you just wrote.

MrPeetrie
11-18-2011, 02:31 PM
What I want to know is, what about people who have late dinners (or even not so late) at the MK monorail resorts, who are staying at other MK monorail resorts? How do they get back to their hotel? Taxi? If I was staying at Contemporary, and had a late dinner at Poly or GF, and MK closed at 7pm, then what? You can't walk between these resorts, so what do you do?

What an excellent point!!!

LVT
11-19-2011, 08:51 AM
For my spreadsheet, I need 2 monorail times columns? or is it 3? Epcot to TTA, TTA to MK and Resort loop.
I enjoyed the monorail.:confused:

VWL Mom
11-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Wait, so was just the express lined closed or is there no Epcot service at all in the morning?

badkitty
11-20-2011, 01:57 PM
It seems absolutely silly to me that the monorail can't take you back to your MK resort after EPCOT closes. I'm not even talking about EMH but regular park hours. The Monorail transportation is one of the main perks.

I love the AKL but my main complaint is the bus service. The buses are horrible. The way they jerk to a stop and jerk to move forward. It is awful on my back when I'm standing (which is 95% of the time because you wait so long for bus, so we all cram on). I wouldn't want to spend the money on the Poly or GF and have to take the bus. Ugh.

mickeys_princess_mom
11-20-2011, 09:59 PM

I'm going to be in this position, so I'm watching for some answers?.....:confused:

BrerGnat
11-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm going to be in this position, so I'm watching for some answers?.....:confused:

I'd plan on taking a taxi for now, or plan your ADR for a night when MK is having evening EMH.

faline
11-21-2011, 09:00 AM

If the monorail is not running, the only options I know of is to take a bus to a park that is still open and bus back from there; take a bus to Downtown Disney and bus back from there; or take a taxi.

mickeys_princess_mom
11-21-2011, 11:39 AM
I'd plan on taking a taxi for now, or plan your ADR for a night when MK is having evening EMH.

It's Ohana--not too flexible! :lei:Worth the trouble, though. :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
11-21-2011, 11:43 AM
If the monorail is not running, the only options I know of is to take a bus to a park that is still open and bus back from there; take a bus to Downtown Disney and bus back from there; or take a taxi.

That's what I thought--Downtown Disney may be the best bet--it's for 9:45....Anybody know how much a taxi from Poly to Pops would run?...:whistle::wave:

diz_girl
11-21-2011, 11:47 AM
We were at EPCOT the same night, also staying at BLT. We took a bus from EPCOT and DH was fuming. He had to carry a folded jogging stroller over the heads of everyone sitting, with a whiny 4 y.o. in tow. My Mom and Dad were with us, with my Dad in an ECV in the parks because of spine and knee surgeries, but not to/from the resort, so it wasn't exactly a party for him. I had the pleasure of standing on a packed bus, carrying a baby in a baby bjorn, with a stroller over my right shoulder, a diaper bag and a small cooler bag over the left one, and my purse and something else in my left hand and holding the railing with the right. I was in agony.

It looks like the CR and BLT guests are the ones who suffer the most in this equation. At least Poly and GF guests can walk back to their resorts. I know that there are some with mobility issues where this is not an option, so they're stuck with the buses too. There is no walkway for CR and BLT guests. The ferryboat stopped running too, so the bus was it.

But guess what? The monorail is running for MVMCP guests. So the monorail runs until 12:30-1 a.m. for MVMCP guests, but not until 10 for monorail resort guests visiting EPCOT on non-MVMCP nights. They're basically cutting back service for people who pay the highest prices for rooms. They have always, until recently, kept the resort monorail running until 11 or 12. Does TDO realize that their angering their biggest profit center? Or are they just hoping that people won't notice or won't complain.

But it does look like they were doing track repairs. Around 1 a.m. on either Wednesday or Thursday nights there were these bright lights shining into my room from the monorail tracks somewhere above the bus stops, which I assumed was monorail maintenance work.

faline
11-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Anybody know how much a taxi from Poly to Pops would run?...:whistle::wave:

You can get an estimate here. (http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Orlando)

diz_girl
11-21-2011, 12:02 PM

Monorail doesn't run late on EMH nights, just an hour past regular closing time. They do run late for the parties (MNSSHP and MVMCP).

Gator
11-21-2011, 03:08 PM
The only people that should be flamed is Disney. Monorails should run until one hour after the LAST park closes. This is just another reason for me to never spend twice as much money to go from a moderate to a monorail-deluxe. It just ain't worth it.

TheVBs
11-21-2011, 05:08 PM
So sorry about your experience! :( Hopefully the maintenance will get done and this situation will be short lived.

BrerGnat
11-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Monorail doesn't run late on EMH nights, just an hour past regular closing time. They do run late for the parties (MNSSHP and MVMCP).

Doh! That's what meant!

tundramom
11-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Wait, so was just the express lined closed or is there no Epcot service at all in the morning?
MK to TTC express line closed, TTC to EPCOT closed at 10:20 in the morning.

mickeys_princess_mom
11-21-2011, 08:55 PM
So it's possible that we could ride from Poly to MK if there is MVMCP that night?....That's all we need, and just hop a bus to Pop...

epceddie
11-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Disney has advertised the convenience of staying at a monorail resort for years. People make reservations to stay at the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian months and months and months in advance. Then, when they get to WDW, one of the main reasons for booking a deluxe resort isn't available to them. Disney should be ashamed. If they use the monorail to entice people to stay at their incredibly over-priced deluxe resorts, they should honor all of the conditions that were in place when the reservation was made. The monorail is part of what they sell. They shouldn't change the rules in the middle of the game.
I don't use the Disney buses. If I was paying top dollar to stay at a deluxe resort and had to take a crowded, noisy bus to get back to my "deluxe" resort after a long day in one of the parks because the monorail wasn't running, I'd be really ticked off.

cer
11-22-2011, 09:29 AM
So it's possible that we could ride from Poly to MK if there is MVMCP that night?....That's all we need, and just hop a bus to Pop...

I have not read the whole discussion, but let me tell you about our experience. In Sept, we were caught at the Poly after a late dinner. When we went to the Monorail entrance, there was a cast member there who directed us to the bus area where we were able to catch a bus from the Poly directly to our resort. It was all about the timing. We were done right about the same time the Luau let out and this is a service they provide for the Luau guests. I am not sure when you will be done at the Poly, but this is an option that worked for us.

Another option is to ferry from the Poly to MK and then catch a bus to POP.

I don't think they will leave anyone stranded. Just ask and they will tell you the best way to reach your destination.

But, for the record, I too think the new monorail shut-down policy is pretty lousy.

Chic-a-pin
11-22-2011, 12:07 PM
I plan on writing a letter to our DVC guide letting him know just how unhappy we are about this "service"! We own at BLT and that was one of the "perks" of buying there. I figure if they get enough complains across the board, maybe something will change. Disney does a lot of dumb things and every once in a while they actually listen (note I said ONCE in a while!) :mad:

Eponine
11-22-2011, 01:28 PM
I just wrote my letter complaining on my experience on 11/16.

I stayed at the Poly and will reconsider for next year due to the "maintanence" issue (which is really a cutback)

If you are going to cut out a service at a deluxe resort, then replace it with a service that will accommodate the guests. Not a boat that holds only 40 or so or a bus that holds up to 50 when the monorail can hold 300 plus.

Also, they had closed the MK express line around 8:50 pm on 11/16 and put them in the Resort line! Needless to say it was a mess. I was lucky to get on the last monorail at 9pm but there was still over 300 people in line. Few got off at the Contemporary but everyone but the two of us (in the car) got off at the TTC. About 20 got off at the Poly and a handful was left for the GF. I talked to the monorail guys at the Poly and was told that they do close the express line early (even though 2 monorails came through there after it was closed!!). Also 2 other empty monrails came through on the resort line while we were talking empty but did not stop. I inquired about this and they said they do that until they take them off line. Why not fill them up with people???? Sometimes I just don't get it.

Sorry but I'm paying over $500 a night -- I should not be put in a line with someone who has parked their car at the MK and is staying at some cheap hotel outside Disney. Put those people on the Ferry and keep the monorail for RESORT guests only. I remember having to show my resort ID years ago to get onto the resort monorail -- I think they need to bring that back!!

mickeys_princess_mom
11-23-2011, 05:26 PM
I have not read the whole discussion, but let me tell you about our experience. In Sept, we were caught at the Poly after a late dinner. When we went to the Monorail entrance, there was a cast member there who directed us to the bus area where we were able to catch a bus from the Poly directly to our resort. It was all about the timing. We were done right about the same time the Luau let out and this is a service they provide for the Luau guests. I am not sure when you will be done at the Poly, but this is an option that worked for us.

Another option is to ferry from the Poly to MK and then catch a bus to POP.

I don't think they will leave anyone stranded. Just ask and they will tell you the best way to reach your destination.

But, for the record, I too think the new monorail shut-down policy is pretty lousy.
Thank you! The ferry might be kind of nice, actually! :wave:

gratuspater
11-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Every service cut is a savings to the corporation.

One-stay-at-time guests like me can rant and say if enough cuts take place I will go to WDW less...

...but what about people who have paid in advance for decades of BLT? They're called DVC members who have BLT as their 'home'. Yeah, I know the Disney Corp didn't promise them monorail service but boy would I be disappointed.

We are, especially with the quickly rising maint. dues. Largest percentage increase in dues (this year) of all the DVC resorts. :(

magicofdisney
11-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Just got home from a 3 day stay. Interestingly, they now have monorail hours posted with the park, parade and EMH hours on their info leaflet. :unsure:

brivers222
11-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Just got home from a 3 day stay. Interestingly, they now have monorail hours posted with the park, parade and EMH hours on their info leaflet. :unsure:

I wish they would post them on their website as well now since it appears to be long standing.

BrerGnat
12-01-2011, 08:29 AM

Well, gotta at least give them credit for posting the hours SOMEWHERE. That's much better than leaving people guessing. Although, I still think it's lousy that they have cut the hours. Glad we're staying at Beach Club in 2 weeks!!!

andypooh
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
what time do the monorails start running in the AM? How about the buses? If I have an 8am reservation at H & V will I be able to get a bus from BLT around 7:30am?

Mitzie
12-15-2011, 12:39 PM
We are staying at the Poly for the first time in April and it will be the first time in any of the resorts by MK.. This whold thread has my head spinning!!! At this point I think it will be a miracle if we get any where we need to go.

Signed: Confused at the Poly...

SBETigg
12-15-2011, 12:58 PM
We are staying at the Poly for the first time in April and it will be the first time in any of the resorts by MK.. This whold thread has my head spinning!!! At this point I think it will be a miracle if we get any where we need to go.

Signed: Confused at the Poly...

You'll be fine during regular MK park hours. Don't be too concerned. The monorail is wonderful, and you will also enjoy the boat launch.