PDA

View Full Version : Going to WDW while expecting

jaredkari
11-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Well my wife and I just found out a few weeks ago that we are expecting!! We are pretty pumped!! We are due in June and want to take one last WDW trip just the two of us. We were planning on going at the end of January for the free dining offer. We wanted to know from some others what to expect when going to WDW while expecting?? Any tips or ideas about where to stay and special things to do?? We are going to be around 4 months at that time. Thanks!!:mickey:

Buttercup
11-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Just enjoy yourselves! I made sure I picked up some super cute baby clothes from the parks. My kids still have their official Disney World outfits I bought them while pregnant. :mickey:

BrerGnat
11-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Congratulations! I took a short (4 day) solo trip when I was pregnant with my second child. I was about 13 weeks at the time, and I went in September. That was a big mistake! The heat and humidity really took a toll, so January sounds like an excellent choice!

I also stayed at POP Century. Second big mistake! It was too loud/chaotic and I had a monster migraine the first two days. I couldn't get away from the noise and chaos. It was awful. I wished I'd stayed at a quieter resort.

Along those lines, I'd recommend Wilderness Lodge. It's a nice haven from the chaos around WDW, and your wife would probably appreciate a nice quiet, dark, cozy resort to come back to and nap and at the end of the day. WL is nice and compact, which helps too, because she might be extra tired. Some women get "energized" during the second trimester, but that never happened to me, and I was exhausted my entire pregnancies.

For park touring, I'd recommend taking it easy, following the "do not ride if you are pregnant" warnings, and really enjoying the parks for the last time before you return with the little one.

I'm not sure I'd recommend a dining plan, but if you can get it free, and can't get a better resort only discount, then go for it. I know that during my 2 pregnancies, I had some MAJOR food aversions that started around 12 weeks and continued. I couldn't eat a lot of my "go to" favorite foods, like chicken. All I wanted to eat was pizza, cold cereal, and veggies. Lots of smells made me sick, and the thought of sitting in a restaurant for a couple hours and having to look at and smell all kinds of different foods around me was just awful. I did a lot of snacking! Just keep an open mind that pregnancy can do some weird things to an appetite, and your wife might not be wanting to eat the way she is used to.

pcoleman
11-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Very doable. I was 6 months and had a great time. Just remember it will be a different trip. In some ways it was one of my favorite because we took the time to look and do things we don't normally get to do. Take it easy, drink plenty of fluids and pack tons of snacks you know you can eat. For me i took those peanut butter cracker snacks. Very portable in a plastic container, protein and filled me up. Scout around the threads for hidden things to do, places to explore. Don't forget to sit and watch all the wonder around you. Take a nap.

ChipNDale79
11-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Very doable. I was 6 months and had a great time. Just remember it will be a different trip. In some ways it was one of my favorite because we took the time to look and do things we don't normally get to do. Take it easy, drink plenty of fluids and pack tons of snacks you know you can eat. For me i took those peanut butter cracker snacks. Very portable in a plastic container, protein and filled me up. Scout around the threads for hidden things to do, places to explore. Don't forget to sit and watch all the wonder around you. Take a nap.

Make sure you take snacks with you. My wife and I went last March when she was 4 months pregnant. We got stuck on Pirates for about 45 mins, she was starving, luckily since we always have some sort of snacks with us, it wasnt that big of a deal.

You'll have a great time, and congrats!

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-22-2011, 11:18 AM
I have been while almost 7 month prego in September. I was the opposite of most pregnant women. While prego, I was FREEZING for the majority of my pregnancy so September was perfect for me!

I had a wonderful time and can attribute that to preparation! I was walking alot before our vacation to keep my body prepared. Also, with a growing baby and thus shrinking bladder space, I knew just about every bathroom in every park and how quickly I could get to one of them. :D

I drank ALOT of water even though that meant that I would visit every WDW restroom in my path. The second I felt a cramp or contraction, I would hit the water bottle hard!

We also went back to the room when I needed my late afternoon nap. It was perfect because by the time we woke up, I would be ready for my dinner and fireworks!

We stayed at Pop and it was fine. We got a building right across from the bus stops (the rubics cube building). I would also put on your reservation that your DW will be so many months prego and need a room close to the bus stop or main house or wherever. If you can swing it, I would suggest doing a nicer resort as once the baby comes, nicer resorts may be out of your wallets reach! At least for us it was!

If you DW has any aversions to food, or doesn't want to spend time sitting for each meal, if the dining plan is "free", you can always get the quick service plan instead. That way you aren't locked down to a certain time to eat each day.

Take your camera and make sure to get pics of the infant mickey ears on your DW belly. We have that picture and it's one of our most treasured Disney pictures. I also have one of Mickey with his hand on my huge belly! So cute!

Oh, and don't wear new shoes / sandals... make sure they are very, very comfortable. I wore my trusty well worn gym shoes during the day. When I took them off for my afternoon nap, the trusty swelling of my feet happened. And I used my TEVA sandals for evening. Worked out perfect! :thumbsup:

I had a backpack of snacks for me and I ate whenever the desire hit me (well, that was more the whole pregnancy, not just at WDW).

Have one romantic dinner just the two of you........

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! BEING A PARENT IS THE BEST MAGIC OF ALL!!

ANG
11-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Our last trip I went 5 months pregnant. Just pace yourself! Realize that you won't get to see everything (which is good advice for any disney goer). Make sure she takes time to rest with her feet up. Ditto on the snacks. Always have something with protein on hand, and lots of water.

Some of the spa resorts have prenatal massage. That could be a nice treat for her after a few days of walking around so much!