PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk tips?

Disney OB RN
11-15-2011, 08:25 PM
I booked a room only reservation this past week for our family of 5 (surprise high school early grad. trip!) and with the room only discount, the only resorts offered for Dec 17 for four nights was the Yacht Club & Boardwalk. Since our last family trip was at the Beach Club, I took the Boardwalk.......I've stayed at the Swan before, so I know the location is excellent, but have heard about noise levels in some areas......also, the room looked like it had a small loveseat rather than a daybed like at the Beach Club or Poly...(our youngest is 11, who will occupy). Any advice for the Boardwalk? I was hoping to score a great deal on Pop or ASM Family Suite, but there was not availability. Oh well, you only get one senior trip!!:mickey:

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
11-15-2011, 09:48 PM
We stayed at Boardwalk in September and LOVED it. We had a studio villa and it was perfect for our family 2 adults 3 kids (7,5,1)
everyone was VERY nice. It didnt bother me to go to the bakery on the BW in the morning to get coffee like I see some people dislike. It was a nice quiet walk. Our kids LOVED the pool. Everynight there was movies by the pool and marshmello roasting. The nightlife on the BW itself is fun too! I think your family will love it! We never heard anything from neighbors. I think you will be fine.

Disney OB RN
11-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback.....was getting nervous that I'd not get any replies! (gulp!) Just have the pre-trip jitters....would have never booked the Boardwalk outright, but have read reviews on Allears from folks who ended up staying there unintentionally also, & LOVED it as well. I will have my car, am wondering if I should DRIVE to MK??????? I know we will walk to Epcot daily.....will love that from our Beach Club stay (especially going on the week before Christmas!!) Keep the advice coming please!

BugeyedMuggy
11-16-2011, 09:39 AM
We had a 1BR villa overlooking the quiet pool and it was great. My SIL had a regular room overlooking the Boardwalk and she said it was very noisy. The Boardwalk entertainers have whistles and after a couple of days it was a bit annoying.

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-16-2011, 09:48 AM
I will have my car, am wondering if I should DRIVE to MK??????? I know we will walk to Epcot daily.....will love that from our Beach Club stay (especially going on the week before Christmas!!) Keep the advice coming please!

I always encourage everyone who asks to take the bus to MK no matter where you are staying and if you have a car.

Even if you drive to MK, you will have to park at TTC and wait for the tram to take you to then wait again for monorail/ferry.

Just my opinion!

Goes4FastPass
11-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Great Boardwalk 'Trick':

First thing in the morning, everyone is still asleep or doing a slow job of waking up.

Dad walks down to the Boardwalk Bakery and picks up fresh pastries and lattes all around and takes them back to the room.

Dad's a hero. Everybody is charged up. What's next, Soarin' or FastTrack?

Goes4FastPass
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Young niece gets a fancy cupcake with tinkerbell on top. It's all sugar and silliness. Uncle Greg is a genius

Disney OB RN
11-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Well, sounds like I need to "borrow Dad!!!":mickey:Ha Ha!!! The coffee run sounds like a winner....since I'm the earliest riser in my bunch, I'll be "Dad!" (I wake up before DAWN ready to go,no matter how late I'm out the night before......feel like I'm missing the magic if I'm not up & going).
With regard to the noise factor, since we have a standard room, hopefully it will not be located over the Boardwalk(?)

BugeyedMuggy
11-16-2011, 12:30 PM
There are standard rooms not on the boardwalk. Just make a room request to have a better chance of getting away from the front. That view may be a water view anyway.

Yo Mickey!
11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
love the boardwalk. never had a complaint and we've stayed there quite a bit. have not had a room over the boardwalk but we'd like to at some point. my wife and i went down for f & w last month and got a studio all the way at the back that overlooks the river and looks directly at the swan. thought we would hate it being that far back but we had a patio on the first level and it was extremely peaceful in the evenings to sit and have a beer while the boats and walkers passed by.

bwv = awesome.

BrerGnat
11-16-2011, 04:46 PM
If you booked a Standard room, you will NOT be over the Boardwalk. That's the view people pay extra for. So, no worries there. You might be over the main entrance of the resort (could be a bit noisy with the buses and valet loop), or facing an internal courtyard area (which is dead quiet, by the way).

The daybeds at Boardwalk are the same size as the ones elsewhere. They look like a little couch, but the back folds down into a twin sized bed. So, no worries there.

My one tip would be to have some "quick" breakfast foods on hand in the room. Maybe some individual cereal bowls, yogurts, pastries/donuts, etc. It's a bit difficult to get food at the Boardwalk if you are hungry at an odd time (like really late night, or early morning), or just want something small and snack-y. Having some food in the room comes in handy while staying here, since there isn't really anywhere to get a quick bite to eat. And, word of warning: a lot of the food at the bakery, while looking like it's good, is actually :ack: and service is S-L-O-W. There is usually only 1-2 people working in there and always a long line.

Make sure you catch the boardwalk "street performers" one night. They are very entertaining. :thumbsup:

Disney OB RN
11-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the tips: the quiet courtyard sounds best to me.... not sure where I'll end up, is a villa significantly more than a standard?....(with reference to the many positive villa experience posts....):crazy:
I think I'll pack plenty of snacks/breakfast items since we are driving. Good to know about the daybed, since it does not appear to be that big. One month to go!:party:

BrerGnat
11-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Yeah, a villa is more than a standard room, and a little less "deluxe" in appointments. Stick with the standard room. You can only fit 4 in a the studio villa...it's smaller than a standard room.

Mickey'sGirl
11-17-2011, 09:53 AM
We had a Standard room on the Inn side of the Boardwalk when we first stayed there about 5 years ago. It overlooked a beautiful courtyard, and had a nearby staircase down to the lovely quiet pool. We loved the Boardwalk so much that we bought DVC there.

We have also had rooms right on the Boardwalk, and the noise was not an issue for us (or our children) at all. I hope you have a fabulous time!!

:secret: **** Ice cream at Seashore Sweets is only about $2 for a single scoop. A great bargain compared to ice cream treats anywhere else at WDW! :thumbsup:

Disney OB RN
11-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Great tip about the ice cream!!!!!:mickey:
My case of the "nerves" is betting better with each Intercot friend positive post!:rocks: