PDA

View Full Version : The Obligatory Black Friday Thread

MNNHFLTX
11-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Not just to ask if/where people will be shopping (and for what--if you can share that on the boards!) But to ask what you all think about the new-and-not-so-improved (IMO) shopping hours this year. With many stores now opening the night before at 9 or 10 p.m. or midnight, I feel bad for people that work in retail. Isn't spending time with family on Thanksgiving sacred any more? Now store employees will be sleeping half their holiday away to get ready for working all night. Anyway, I have been a die-hard Black Friday shopper for too many years to count, but this might be the year that does me in. If I do go, I will forego the most popular stores that open super early so that I can hit Lowes at 5 a.m., as they have the deals I really want (not just for my family, but for me, too, lol--a Samsung steam dryer for $499!)

What are your thoughts?

Disney4us2
11-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I did that a bout 2 years ago. Toysrus had those Zhuzhu pets at the time when they were the big craze. DD and I waited for several hours for TRU to open. Luckly, we were near the front of the line and we were given our card for the hamster. It took all of 10 minutes and we were out of there.

Won't be doing that this year.

dnickels
11-15-2011, 05:09 PM
I feel bad for the employees, but then again, holiday-season retail has been moving this direction more and more so it's not exactly unexpected that we'd get there at some point.

The early hours do present an interesting situation for some of the die-hards. If they truly think family time is sacred, they can stay home and enjoy dinner with their family. No one is forcing them to go get in line at 4PM on Thanksgiving evening just so they can get a deal when the store opens at 10 or midnight or whatever. I'm guessing there will be a lot of complaining words, but then a lot of actions that will speak louder than those words regarding what they decided was more important.

Dulcee
11-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Never have, never will.

Honestly, there isn't a deal good enough to make me face that madness, and this coming from someone who spends a fair bit of time couponing each week.

And I think the new hours are crazy. Leave Thanksgiving alone. Let people who work retail and all others who get dragged into the madness (namely my FI the cop who gets to deal with all the crazy calls that this creates) enjoy their holiday too.

disneymom15
11-15-2011, 05:38 PM
My daughter has to work 11:30pm thanksgiving night til 11:30am on Friday.

MNNHFLTX
11-15-2011, 05:46 PM
My daughter has to work 11:30pm thanksgiving night til 11:30am on Friday.That's what I'm talking about. :(

Somehow I don't think the Walmart or Target big-wigs are working on Thanksgiving Day, let alone Black Friday. I just think we've gone over the top with this.

DizneyRox
11-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Hours mean nothing to me, I shop online...

There's a very good reason I don't work in retail, this would be that reason...

BrerGnat
11-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Hours mean nothing to me, I shop online...

This. There's even Black Friday deals online! Why go out? :confused:

NewDVCowner
11-15-2011, 06:56 PM
I'll probably end up at Joanns in the morning, depending on the fabric deals they have.

Just a word of warning, I'm on a 'here's the deal' type mailing list and the blogger has compared current Black Friday ads for the big stores (Target, JC Penny, etc) and has linked to the same item on Amazon and the current prices there are better than some of the prices in these ads.

What's really interesting is the 'retail price' that the ads are saying the item is isn't anywhere close to the retail price at several online stores. Just do your research and don't take the claims that you'll be saving 75% off retail at face value.

TinkerbellT421
11-15-2011, 11:00 PM
There's a very good reason I don't work in retail, this would be that reason...

:ditto:

My best friend and I have a "Black Friday tradition". BUT we dont leave home until about 8am, go out for breakfast and then browse the stores. Neither one of us, for any reason (Unless an item is $500.00 selling for 50 cents lol) will get up or be at a store before midnight or even 5 am! lol We are NOT morning people, so we actually feel bad for those that might encounter us together that early in the am.

We mostly cruise through Kohls, Target, Walmart, best buy etc., we never go for the early bird specials or anything because most of the time they dont have a lot of them and if you not the first so many people waiting in line all night you wont see that item. We find plenty of great deals, small unadvertised deals always, while browsing through. We do it more as a girls day shopping trip. We have fun with it. :thumbsup:

I also worked retail as a second job, twice, once was at Ocean State Job Lot several years ago and most of us employees had to be at the store for 4am even though we didnt open till 6 on black fridays because there is a ton or prep work for that day. And I cant tell you how many people would be in their cars waiting for the doors to open, and no matter what time of the day it was, the entire store at every moment was a nightmare. After that, I swore I would never (unless my ONLY option), work retail again.

kakn7294
11-15-2011, 11:11 PM
I think any store opening before 4 or 5 am on Black Friday is ridiculous and has ruined the fun of the day as well as Thanksgiving day for those store employees. As a nurse, I expect that I will have to work some holidays - as a retail employee, I would be quite upset at that. I will go out but it won't be until Friday am and it won't be nearly as much fun.

Janmac
11-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Why is it called Black Friday? I can think of several reasons but none of them seem positive.

I, too, am an on-line shopper, and many times the prices are better than the in-store "deals". MSRP.

I'm also not a push-shove kind of person, which I understand comes in handy during Black Friday deals. Crowds give me claustrophobia.

Retail is getting really bad for employees. My niece is manager of a retail store in a nationwide chain. Earlier this year corporate was happy to report that they were still operating in the black and able to give shareholders return on their money.

Meanwhile, payroll hours for store employees are almost non-existent. There is not enough payroll for my niece's assistant manager to work even 32 hours a week, which is minimum for retention of health care benefits. An asst manager, yet, with something like 7 years experience.

So, yeah, the corporate big-wigs are so not working (or sleeping prior to working at midnight) on Thanksgiving. They're looking at the bottom line and their report to the stockholders.

Did anyone see the ad last night on tv about shopping at a locally owned store on 26 November? I think that is something I can get on board with, for sure. I used to be an owner of a local store - hated Walmart passionately. :mad:

Jan

kakn7294
11-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Why is it called Black Friday? I can think of several reasons but none of them seem positive. From what I've heard, it's because this is the single day of the year that can put retailers "in the black" - in other words, they actually make much of their money for the entire year on this particular day.

Janmac
11-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Oh . . . so it's not because you're black and blue from getting elbowed out of the way. ;)

I see.

Jan

princessgirls
11-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I AVOID the stores on Black Friday!!

1. Seriously...getting up at 3am to shop?? I only get up at 3am to catch an early flight to Disney and to tend to a sick child.

2. My husband works nights, and I can't leave my kids home alone anyway...

3. Are the deals THAT good??? It seems that they just have sales all through the holiday season.

4. I might hit the stores later in the day, but after the craziness.

5. I like to decorate and get my house ready.

On a side note...I was a "Black Friday" bride way back in 1996. Fred and I were married the Friday of Thanksgiving weekend, and then took off for 2 weeks in Hawaii. It was the BEST holiday season ever!!!
Julie:mickey:

SBETigg
11-16-2011, 12:13 PM
This. There's even Black Friday deals online! Why go out? :confused:

Exactly! And I resent that Black Friday is making a bid to takeover Thanksgiving, my favorite family holiday. It is out of hand.

DVC2004
11-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Since I'm in a family of all guys, and my only sister works at hospital thus has to work every Black Friday, I don't usually go. Honestly though it stresses me out. I went once when the Nintendo Wii came out and it was the only thing my oldest wanted that year. I was so worried I was not going to get one as they were in high demand. I did get it and amazingly the process at the store (Toys r Us) was very organized and smooth.

I have worked in retail in the past and I do feel sorry for those who have to go in to work that night for the 12 am openings. That is a bummer that they don't get the holiday to truly enjoy.

Disney Doll
11-16-2011, 04:36 PM
I worked retail all through my high school and college days. There is absolutely no way I would voluntarily go shopping on black Friday even if they were giving away early bird specials for free. There's just nothing I would want to buy that's worth that hassle.

magicofdisney
11-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Last year we were in Orlando on Thanksgiving Day. The outlet mall I normally shop was open on Thanksgiving, all day. I'm unsure if last year was the first for that, but I was surprised to find it.

I've done early morning, Black Friday runs in the past, but they no longer excite me. I'm now more interested in online shopping.

MNNHFLTX
11-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I think any store opening before 4 or 5 am on Black Friday is ridiculous and has ruined the fun of the day as well as Thanksgiving day for those store employees. As a nurse, I expect that I will have to work some holidays - as a retail employee, I would be quite upset at that. I will go out but it won't be until Friday am and it won't be nearly as much fun.My sentiments exactly.

Wayne
11-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Never have done the black friday tango and neither has anyone else in my family. If folks want to shop at 4 a.m. more power to them - it's just not my cup of tea. However, this open at midnight or earlier mindset of some of the big retailers is making my blood boil. I plan to boycott all of those retailers who are intruding upon their employees family time (or holiday rest time before the craziness begins). I cannot and will not enable this corporate behavior.

White Rose
11-20-2011, 03:05 AM
I think I posted in a similar thread on this last year, but I'll post again...

I adore shopping on Black Friday. I don't do it for particular deals or anything like that--I simply enjoy the rush and the beginning of the holiday season. I start (and to be honest, finish) my Christmas shopping on Black Friday and use it as bonding time with my younger sister.

With that in mind, though, I do NOT support the stores opening at midnight. Those poor employees! :( I was really sad to see Target ads for them opening at midnight--I always liked getting there at about 5am or so.

All I can say is, I will not be out at midnight but I will be joining the rest of the world in the madness, at least for a few short hours (and then finishing up my shopping on Amazon!)