PDA

View Full Version : Need Clarification

Scar
11-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Am I reading this right? From looking at The Timeshare Store site, I see that some resorts are 10 pts/night Sun - Thurs, and that OKW can be had for $50-$60/pt. I also read that in resale, I don't need to buy 160 pts. Does this mean that for around $3000, plus maintanance, I can get an annual 5 night stay until 2042?

VWL Mom
11-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Theoretically yes, if the 10 point per night stays are offered for the time of year you are traveling and if there is a contract available for 50 points. Keep in mind that DVC does reserve the right to change the points per night so you may want to consider buying a few extra to cover yourself. The last change was switching between weekend and weekday but my weekly stay remained the same.

gratuspater
11-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Yes, you can buy whatever amount of points someone is selling. You do not have to buy 160 pts. And those are the asking prices, you can make your own offer also, which I would highly recommend, it saved us some coin. And I think, the weekly rate has to stay the same, but they can change the daily rates from time to time. For our upcoming stay we would have to pay close to $2000 to stay at the swan and dolphin, but using dvc, our maint. dues are less than half of that. So takeing into consideration the kind of hotels you prefer to stay in, dvc can save you money.:thumbsup: Another important consideration in buying resale dvc, is if you plan on useing it to stay at other hotels, (other than dvc), earlier this year disney made changes to dvc contracts that are bought through resale. Those contracts that are now bought resale are only useable at dvc resorts. So there is no useing your points at disneyland hotel, or Grand Floridian, or anything not dvc.

DizneyRox
11-15-2011, 06:15 PM
And no, you don't have to buy 160 points, BUT you need to buy the whole contract. You can't split a contract resale. Disney can break it upif they buy it back, but generally the points in a contract are what's there.

Yes, if you're looking to get into DVC, now is a great time. You can take a property off someone's hands for peanuts. I suggest bidding under the asking price, no worries about Disney's right of first refusal. They probably won't pull that out, and if they do, there's another property around the corner you can bid on, no harm, no foul for you!

FiggyFan
11-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Regarding Disney's ability to change the per night point cost of a room, the total number of points a room costs for the entire year must remain the same. As a pp said, they have increased the weekday point cost and reduced the weekend point cost. They could also choose, for example, to increase the per night/per week cost during the holidays and decrease the cost during the slower seasons.

it is better to have a few extra points than to be a few points short.

WishesFan13
11-21-2011, 11:01 PM
If you are looking to buy resale is the way to go, it can save you a lot of money. Look into the newish restrictions if you're considering cruises or adventures by Disney (which are really high point wise & most agree it's not worth using your points for anyway). The reason I really wanted to post though is that Disney is exercising rofr on okw. If you find a contract that you like it can't hurt to see what happens, but we got rofr'd on a small okw contract at the end of September. Dh and I bought BLT direct 2 years ago and decided we could use a few more points since we have DS now & we've been vacationing more since becoming members. We had a contract in on 80 points and the day we got rofr so did another person buying a bigger okw contract, I think their's was around 230 pts. According to the resale agent and the message boards on another website Disney started rofr around that time. Apparently it's just on bcv & okw. Like dizneyrox said there are still lots of contracts for the picking. I think okw is passing rofr closer to the $60 mark now so it's a little higher then they were going for, but still massively cheaper then buying direct. Good luck, fingers crossed that you find a good one cheap that passes.

Hammer
11-22-2011, 09:04 AM
I know from my own personal experience that a OKW contract (98 points) passed ROFR at $58 per point at the end of September. Disney actually waived ROFR within 10 days!

I do agree that you should get a few points more than you think you need.