PDA

View Full Version : Episode 25 - Ian In Charge

John
11-14-2011, 12:13 AM
The Cast: Gary, Mel, Carol, Gary, Ian & John

***** Brought to you by: Magical Journeys The Official Ticket Center *****

Ian and the intro - John lets Ian host as promised.

John and his stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Gary at Pop and Carol / Mel at Bay Lake Towners.

AKL - John got a bunkbed room and felt a little cramped. It was a hike to his room and was about as far away as you an get. Wifi is in and is filtered. Mel is checking out HotAladdin.com. Thought the quick serve was jut ok. Overall liked the resort and would stay there again. Great atmosphere - Kids would love it.

Gary stayed in the 50s at Pop Century and had panic attacks at the food court.

The Old Spice Classic coming up at ESPN Wide World of Sports Thanksgiving weekend.

Food and Wine Favorites - Kahula pork shooters, Kielbasa and Pierogi from Poland, Ravioli from Italy

Bay Lake towers - Mel and Carol stayed in a villa. Apparently there was a mosquito issue. Tried the Wave and found it just fine. Had good luck with bus service.

Walt Disney World weddings - Gary attended one. The experience is incredible. There was controversy!

The INTERCOT Idea Factory continues - Gary suggests preferred stroller parking.

INTERCOTs Best Of - Cast Member Costume - Carol says Liberty Tree Tavern, Ian pickes Monorail Pilot Costumes (no luck fiding them online). Mel goes with the MouseGear costumes. John says the 1970’s speedway jumpsuits.

Via Napoli Discussion

Dieting at Walt Disney World & the beer to Margarita ratio

LMNOP is not the INTERCOT 15th Anniversary - ICOT15 - Dates are now official… October 26-28 2012.

Ian does the close - hang around for outtakes

>> LISTEN, DOWNLOAD, LOVE... (http://intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2011/episode-25.asp)

Buttercup
11-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Ohhh! So Ian got to be the big man in charge, did he? This will be good... :thumbsup:

John
11-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Yep - be sure to listen all the way to the end for the opening outtake....

Melanie
11-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Outtakes? :blush:

Ian
11-14-2011, 07:43 AM
You know what's really funny about this? I actually used to do TV play-by-play and color commentary for sports waaaaaaaaaaaay back in my high school days, so it's not like I've never been in front of a mic. But for whatever reason, I was just awful doing this! I couldn't get a rhythm going, I was stumbling over my words ... HORRID!

I was so bad I was even laughing at myself!

So let the mocking begin ... I earned it. I can take it! :blush:

Carol
11-14-2011, 08:03 AM
:haha:

So let the mocking begin ...

dpamac
11-14-2011, 08:59 AM
You know what's really funny about this? I actually used to do TV play-by-play and color commentary for sports waaaaaaaaaaaay back in my high school days, so it's not like I've never been in front of a mic. But for whatever reason, I was just awful doing this! I couldn't get a rhythm going, I was stumbling over my words ... HORRID!

I was so bad I was even laughing at myself!

So let the mocking begin ... I earned it. I can take it! :blush:

Boom goes the dynamite!

Also, I'm hoping to get some support from the audience this time. I was mocked for Doctor Who by my cohosts because I bought Jammie Dodgers and a Fez. Oh the uninitiated fools.

BriarRose0708
11-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Awesome PodCast again! Woo hoo, we have dates!!!!!!!!!:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
11-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Awww, looks like we won't be able to LMNOP! My kids get a fall break, but it looks like their break will be Oct. 20th -23rd. Our plan is to go to WDW for MNSSHP and F&WF during their break next year. We were hoping to be there at the same time as LMNOP. We'll miss you guys by one week. Booo!

Tink1
11-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Great Podcast!

and it is sauce, not gravy.

Nanc

Ian
11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Great Podcast!

and it is sauce, not gravy.

NancI can only assume your maiden name didn't end with a vowel. :D

Tink1
11-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I can only assume your maiden name didn't end with a vowel. :D

LOL

No one here calls it gravy, and I grew up in a VERY Italian area. We were the only non-Italian for blocks.

The only ones around here who say gravy is Jersey people, we laugh at them.

Gravy is what you make from meat drippings with flour. Sauce is made with tomatoes.

Marinara Sauce
Arrabbiata Sauce (really spicey)
Bolognese Sauce (meat)
Vodka Sauce
Puttanesca sauce
Carbonara Sauce (which is not supposed to have cream in it)

Nanc

John
11-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Sorry Nanc :

Tartaglia is my mom's maiden name (you may know us from the Godfather) and it's always been called gravy. Just watch the Soprano's for validation - Tony calls it gravy there as well.

Gravy is also brown gravy - We use the term in both cases - and it can mean either.

Very italian family in Philly....

Tink1
11-14-2011, 12:10 PM
We shall have to agree to disagree.

How about we all do an ABD to Italy and check this out?

Nanc

PopPhan
11-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Loved the Murray Head reference....

"Bangkok, Oriental setting
And the city don't know that the city is getting
The creme de la creme of the chess world in a
Show with everything but Yul Brynner"

Loved that tune when it was out...

Ian
11-14-2011, 01:01 PM
In fairness to Nancy, I think it is an East Coast Italian thing, though.

In Italian, the word for "sauce" is "salsa" and the word for "gravy" is "sugo", so they definitely have distinctive words for each one and they mean different things.

AgentC
11-14-2011, 01:02 PM
I am listening right now and really encourage everyone to go check out HotAladdin.com. Mel has good taste in sites.

:thumbsup:

dpamac
11-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Loved the Murray Head reference....

"Bangkok, Oriental setting
And the city don't know that the city is getting
The creme de la creme of the chess world in a
Show with everything but Yul Brynner"

Loved that tune when it was out...

Yay! We finally got someone who liked our Murray Head jokes.

Buttercup
11-14-2011, 01:34 PM
I love Murray Head! My husband thinks I'm weird.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
11-14-2011, 03:23 PM
So glad I wasn't the only one that got the Jammie Dodger/Fez reference. :)

Great Murray Head reference!

And as a southerner - Gravy can be brown, pepper, or red eyed. At no time does it involve tomatoes. :D That's Spaghetti Sauce. :cool:

Melanie
11-14-2011, 03:37 PM
And as a southerner - Gravy can be brown, pepper, or red eyed. At no time does it involve tomatoes. :D That's Spaghetti Sauce. :cool:

Yeah that! :yes:

I've never, ever, ever heard the word gravy associated with anything Italian. I guess that just went right over my head when watching The Sopranos.

Scar
11-14-2011, 03:42 PM
This lifelong New Jerseyan Scandinavian has never, and will never call tomato sauce "gravy".

From Wikipedia:

Some Italian Americans on the East Coast and around the Chicago area refer to tomato sauce as "gravy", "tomato gravy", or "Sunday gravy", especially sauces with a large quantity of meat simmered in them, similar to the Italian Neapolitan ragł. "Gravy" is an erroneous English translation from the Italian sugo which means juice, but can also mean sauce (as in sugo per pastasciutta). The expression for "gravy" in Italian is sugo d'arrosto, which is literally "juice of a roast" and is not specifically tomato sauce.

Carol
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
I am listening right now and really encourage everyone to go check out HotAladdin.com. Mel has good taste in sites.

:thumbsup:

Yes she does. :cool:

John
11-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah that! :yes:

I've never, ever, ever heard the word gravy associated with anything Italian. I guess that just went right over my head when watching The Sopranos.

Just cause you haven't heard it - doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

http://www.food.com/recipe/sopranos-sunday-gravy-spaghetti-sauce-64750

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Awww, looks like we won't be able to LMNOP! My kids get a fall break, but it looks like their break will be Oct. 20th -23rd. Our plan is to go to WDW for MNSSHP and F&WF during their break next year. We were hoping to be there at the same time as LMNOP. We'll miss you guys by one week. Booo!

This is us totally!!! We have just made our ressies for THV from Oct 14-20. I'm sad about missing LMNOP or I-15 or whatever it's called now! :D

I would have loved to meet everyone!

AgentC
11-14-2011, 04:32 PM
This lifelong New Jerseyan Scandinavian has never, and will never call tomato sauce "gravy".

:

Wow. Who knew ep 25 would become the great gravy debate? I grew up in the Boston area. My Nana always said gravy, but I say sauce. Then again, I buy from a jar and she made hers from scratch, so who am I to argue. :D

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-14-2011, 04:33 PM
BTW... this is the first time I've been able to hear the podcast thanks to my Droid phone. The podcast was blocked at work which is the only time I have to listen.... (just don't tell my boss)

I really, really, really enjoyed it and you have gained a follower! :thumbsup:

It's so nice (and strangely wierd) to hear other adults besides my husband that I haven't met before talking about all the details and nuances about Disney that I read up on everyday.

I have found a "home"cast :blush:

Melanie
11-14-2011, 05:53 PM
I have found a "home"cast :blush:

We love to hear this!! Did you download the INTERCOT Android app?

:funny:

But yes, yes I do. :thumbsup:

Melanie
11-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Listening now....HotAladdin.com, blue walls....I thought we were a family friendly website. ;)

Oh, and I still contend we were at France for the HGOI Illuminations meet. I'll have to dig out some photos too.

John
11-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Listening now....HotAladdin.com, blue walls....I thought we were a family friendly website. ;)

Oh, and I still contend we were at France for the HGOI Illuminations meet. I'll have to dig out some photos too.

Nope - don't make me pull the contract out. We definately were there for the 10. I think we've only done two illuminations parties.

dpamac
11-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Nope - don't make me pull the contract out. We definately were there for the 10. I think we've only done two illuminations parties.

Um... (http://www.intercot.com/news/hgoi/party.asp)

Melanie
11-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Thank you Gary. I know crazy may be in my future, but I'm glad to know I'm not there yet.

Melanie
11-14-2011, 08:47 PM
LOL on the outtakes!

"We didn't win any awards!" :funny:

John
11-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Um - odyssey - we've done three parties as I had a feeling during that last post:

http://www.intercot.com/news/odyssey/default.asp

What: Illuminations: INTERCOT Odyssey Grand Finale

REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT IS NOW CLOSED

Who: JohnY and The Cast of INTERCOT
Where: Private Viewing Area, Epcot
Time: 8:00-9:30 pm (meet at UK Lower Terrace)

Cost: $25 per person, price includes dessert, beverages, and access to the private viewing area. Reservations and payments are due no later than June 2, 2001.

Details: Join your INTERCOT hosts for the final event of the INTERCOT Odyssey, a group viewing of Illuminations, an INTERCOT tradition. There will be trivia, good food, churros and prizes all around. Stay tuned for more exciting information. This year we've secured a private viewing area, so we can say goodbye in style. Join us for the wonderful closing to a truly magical week. See ya real soon!

Melanie
11-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Okay, I'm thinking this is the same place we're thinking of. It's between UK and France. You consider it the UK, I consider it France.

dpamac
11-14-2011, 09:57 PM
It's not. There are viewing areas on each side of the bridge. One in the UK behind the fish and chips side of R&C and one in France. Two totally different areas divided by a big channel of water.

John
11-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Yep - Gary is correct. There is a lower area at the UK. We've had it there once. Then you cross over the bridge towards France - we've had it there 2 times as well.

Melanie
11-14-2011, 10:29 PM
LOL! I've forgotten what the disagreement is. For certain, without a doubt, the HGOI Illumuminations meet was in the circled area below, wherever that may be!

I wasn't at the Odyssey or 10th meets.

dpamac
11-15-2011, 08:18 AM
LOL! I've forgotten what the disagreement is. For certain, without a doubt, the HGOI Illumuminations meet was in the circled area below, wherever that may be!

I wasn't at the Odyssey or 10th meets.

Yep, that's considered part of France, according to Disney. I'm assuming so they could represent both the channel between the UK and France (to the island) and the Seine. I can't think of any other logical reason for an island there.

Melanie
11-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Okay so, where was the UK meet you guys are talking about, to the left in that pic above?

BrerGnat
11-15-2011, 08:37 AM
I only listen to award winning podcasts, so I haven't listened to this one yet.

:D

Great one as usual. I really liked the selection of topics discussed here. I love hearing about resort experiences and the "best costume" segment was fun as well!

Ian, you did alright as host, I guess. I mean, it wasn't awful. ;) The outtakes were great..."Good Night, and Welcome." Classic.

Oh, and Mel and Carol, there is Dole Whip nutritional information online. It's really not so bad for you. 80 cal/0g fat per serving (1/2 cup). Of course, if you have a float, you have to add the juice too. :) It was interesting to hear your experience at WDW using Weight Watchers.

Glad there are finally dates nailed down for the 15th. Since its over a weekend, there is actually a slim chance I'll be able to go! Woo hoo! :thumbsup:

dpamac
11-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Okay so, where was the UK meet you guys are talking about, to the left in that pic above?

Yes. The little oasis behind the R&C and to the right. You can actually wave to the people in France who are doing the same thing. Then start a war of puff pastry desserts. But you have to have a really good arm to throw them that far.

Ian
11-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Here's all I know for certain ... the 10th anniversary RoE viewing was definitely in the viewing spot off the bridge between the UK and France. I clearly remember getting our pic taken (by that photographer guy who was briefly a site sponsor) and we were all lined up in front of the fence down there. I think I was hanging on a light pole, in fact.

Remember we all had those blue, glowy necklaces on?

Ian
11-15-2011, 09:02 AM
This one! (http://intercot.com/news/i10/photo.asp)

dpamac
11-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Oh, and Mel and Carol, there is Dole Whip nutritional information online. It's really not so bad for you. 80 cal/0g fat per serving (1/2 cup). Of course, if you have a float, you have to add the juice too. :) It was interesting to hear your experience at WDW using Weight Watchers.

They give 1/2 a cup as the serving size? Because they give you way more than that. However an 80 calorie snack, especially a sugary, dairy-based one is pretty darn good.

dpamac
11-15-2011, 09:11 AM
This one! (http://intercot.com/news/i10/photo.asp)

I have a giant Irish head. I'm surprised I can find hats to fit it.

Melanie
11-15-2011, 05:33 PM
I only listen to award winning podcasts, so I haven't listened to this one yet.

:D

Cute! ;)

Melanie
11-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Oh, and I wanted to post a pic just to show the mosquito issue we had at Bay Lake. These were just the dead ones. They were everywhere. It was weird!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
11-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Oh, and I wanted to post a pic just to show the mosquito issue we had at Bay Lake. These were just the dead ones. They were everywhere. It was weird!
Ah, late fall in the south - looks familiar even to someone from Eastern NC.

Melanie
11-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Ah, late fall in the south - looks familiar even to someone from Eastern NC.

Ehhhh, I grew up in NC, have lived in coastal areas for much of my life (including many years in Jacksonville, NC) and have never seen something like this. :ack:

Oh, and have you all checked out HOTALADDIN.com yet? :D

TinkerbellT421
11-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Hopefully get to listen to this podcast tomorrow!

And from my father, straight from Sicily. They call its gravy not sauce lol. But one of those things where some will never understand why its called gravy and some will never understand why its not called gravy lol.

Melanie
11-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Regarding the 'gravy' issue....

I live in Florida. It's a given that a lot of folks here are from the 'north'. I work with a couple of ladies who grew up in New York. I asked them today what another name for spaghetti sauce was. Wow, what a conversation that ensued - how entertaining! Actually made me very appreciative that I married a Marine which forced me to get out of my little bubble in my home state and experience different things. I've definitely been schooled this week on all things 'gravy'. :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
11-15-2011, 11:08 PM
lol Mel!!! Can always count on a good debate on what is gravy or sauce! lol Even though I live in the North there are lots of people that continually "correct" me when I say gravy, and 95% of them are not Italian when they do that. BF calls it Gravy, but all of his family calls its Sauce (and hes Portuguese! lol)

and I have to say that picture of the mosquitoes!!! :sick:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
11-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Ehhhh, I grew up in NC, have lived in coastal areas for much of my life (including many years in Jacksonville, NC) and have never seen something like this. :ack:

Oh, and have you all checked out HOTALADDIN.com yet? :D

I'm not that far from J'ville, NC now. This year's "skeeters" have been that bad. We FINALLY got a freeze here that reduced the population for a bit.

And HotAladdin.com is awesome! What a website :eyes:

CAS
11-18-2011, 03:06 AM
I saw what Ian and Gary were laughing at I'm pretty sure. :secret: Google what he says and you'll see what I mean. :D

CAS
11-18-2011, 03:27 AM
Sorry Mel! We have to do Illuminations. It's been a dream of mine all my life to be one of those people I see and envy behind those ropes. Don't take away my dream! :pout:

Melanie
11-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Sorry Mel! We have to do Illuminations. It's been a dream of mine all my life to be one of those people I see and envy behind those ropes. Don't take away my dream! :pout:

sigh

Good thing there is GOOD :beer: very close by. ;)

BrerGnat
11-18-2011, 10:32 AM
sigh

Good thing there is GOOD :beer: very close by. ;)

If you drink enough :beer:, Illuminations will be the BEST thing you've ever seen. Ever.

dpamac
11-18-2011, 12:24 PM
There is a boat that is on fire. ON FIRE. And it SHOOTS FLAMES in giant plumes. What's not to love?

Melanie
11-18-2011, 04:10 PM
If you drink enough :beer:, Illuminations will be the BEST thing you've ever seen. Ever.

:yes: :cheers:

What's not to love?

Not going there....again.

dpamac
11-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Not going there....again.

FIRE AND EXPLOSIONS! I fear you're not grasping my point.

:sail::search::flame::flame::pixie::fireman:
:ambal::clappy:

Melanie
11-18-2011, 04:22 PM

You're such a guy.

I get it. ;)

BrerGnat
11-18-2011, 07:32 PM

Settle down Beavis...

Disney Hungarian
11-18-2011, 10:12 PM

Beavis:
Fire!!! Fire!!!

darthmacho
11-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Apologies for rehashing the "gravy" discussion, but I grew up in the North End of Boston, which was for a great deal of the 20th century, a homogenous Italian-American community. As a side note, the North End once rivaled Calcutta, India in population density, and long ago was considered Boston's first slum. My how times have changed.

In any case, we called it gravy. I still do.

I asked a chef what the difference was, and he seemed to feel that it had something to do with whether or not meat was involved in the cooking. Despite this, I to this day, make my own meatless gravy. I won't share my recipe with anyone except my daughters, but I'll say one thing, that I cook with wine, and sometimes I even add it to the food! :rolleyes: (Groan.)

diz_girl
11-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Just got back from WDW early this morning. Haven't listened to Podcast yet, but will within the next 24 hours.

But before I listen, two things:

1- stayed at BLT and noticed same bug problem at Mel & Carol - you just couldn't go out on the balcony - also noticed lots of turkey vultures (as in dozens) making BLT their roost;

2 - Scored a D&B Comic Collection mini barrel (in black) at Uptown Jewelers. They had the mini barrel in black (which can also double as a wristlet) and a wristlet in aqua. They are in the back of the store and not in front with the rest of the D&B. Thought that Mel and Carol would like to know where to find it.

Melanie
11-22-2011, 05:37 PM
2 - Scored a D&B Comic Collection mini barrel (in black) at Uptown Jewelers. They had the mini barrel in black (which can also double as a wristlet) and a wristlet in aqua. They are in the back of the store and not in front with the rest of the D&B. Thought that Mel and Carol would like to know where to find it.

Yes, I found them last week. Exactly what you described. I spoke to a manager and he told me that the shipment has been indefinitely delayed and he honestly didn't know why they got those few you saw. Posted a pic of them on our Twitter.

Same bug problem, huh? Bother!!!

diz_girl
12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
After multiple listenings, I've finally had the time to post.

First, thanks everyone for another great Podcast. While Ian's hosting needed some improvement, any Podcast that has me laughing a lot is great in my book.

Second, I have discovered that there is no Website with the name HotAladdin.com.

Third, I've gone into the Adasavage (my maiden name) family photo archives and I can't find a 70's monorail costume. My Dad actually made digital copies of all of the old slides that they have and gave me a thumb drive of them and I didn't find a photo of the costume. My Mom may have regular prints and I'll check their house to see if there were any from our first WDW trip in '76. I'll check the '80 trip too.

Fourth - food. Wave - I liked the Wave breakfast buffet. I'm a big breakfast eater, especially at WDW. There wasn't a huge variety, but what they had was good. Hopefully, Carol used her DVC discount for breakfast. Via Napoli - I know the table that John is talking about, as we sat right next to it last month. Yogurt parfaits - those yogurt parfaits are inedible. :ack: While the yogurt is OK, the bottom is a hunk of cold, soggy oats. I couldn't finish mine.

Fifth - loved the Murray Head reference.

Finally, stoop is not just a South Philly thing. We called it a stoop in the NE Philly rowhomes too.

On to commenting about Podcasts 26 and 27, not that I expect anyone to read them. I'm just compelled to put my opinion out there.

Melanie
01-01-2012, 09:09 PM
On to commenting about Podcasts 26 and 27, not that I expect anyone to read them. I'm just compelled to put my opinion out there.

Oh no, don't think that! We love reading opinions and take them to heart. We really appreciate you taking the time to comment.

And I suggest you checking out HotAladdin.com (www.hotaladdin.com)again. It's a great website! :thumbsup: ;)

NJGIRL
01-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Sorry....It's "Gravy" ! If it is brown then it is "brown gravy".