PDA

View Full Version : Authenticity of Marakesh?

Kairi_7378
11-13-2011, 09:14 PM
This is a place that DH and I have talked about eating at before, but we do have good Moroccan restaurants at home. We've heard differing reports on the authenticity of Epcot's WS restaurants. Can anyone tell me how authentic the food here is? We do like the Tangerine Cafe, and usually eat there once a trip.

ElenitaB
11-13-2011, 09:26 PM
I know that this restaurant has its admirers. I'll be honest: I'm not one of them. Case in point is one of their desserts:

Marrakesh Delight - fresh fruit salad topped with mint ice cream, toasted almonds and orange blossom water

... which ended up being fruit salad with mint chocolate chip ice cream on top of it. Really?

Once at Marrakesh (which is a pretty venue) was enough for me. I'll stick with Tangierine Cafe.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Didn't care for it and have had better closer to home...however have heard great things about Tangerine Cafe as the PP said....

Hammer
11-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I found the food at Marakesh to be pretty bland when compared with Moroccan/Middle Eastern restaurants in the Philadelphia area. Laura, for the price of Marakesh at WDW, go to a nice dinner at El Fez in Center City!

Mogie
11-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Not terribly authentic. Think of it like going to a chinese restaurant. What youre getting is Chinese-American cuisine, not authentic chinese. Same thing here youre getting Moroccan-American cuisine. It has some flavors and ingredients native to Morocco but nothing the average american wouldnt want to eat.

azcavalier
11-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah, but the belly dancing! Rowr!

Been there once, and only because Teppan Edo closed for renovations, and there was no other place available for ADRs. That should tell you something.

Food was, "eh". Belly dancing was terrific!

darthmacho
11-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Authentic? I doubt it.

However, if any of these WS restaurants really had menus authentic to the countries that they represent, they'd probably go out of business. Of course these places, like almost every "ethnic" restaurant in the US, has been adapted to the American palate, often with great success. Who doesn't love Chinese and Mexican food? Is it really what they eat in those countries? Not really, but it's still made by people from those countries (mostly) with many ingredients adopted from those countries, and then tweaked to do what it was intended to do...make money! Anyway, that wasn't intended to be a rant, just a realistic point of view. :mickey:

That being said, I thought Marakesh had some excellent selections. I thought the bastilla was the best dessert I've ever had at WDW. If you want to see the menu, I think they have them, or links to them, right here on Intercot!

Ayndi
11-14-2011, 09:43 PM
I love the Marakesh, but I'm a big couscous fan.

Portions are good, food is tasty.

azcavalier
11-15-2011, 09:40 AM
That being said, I thought Marakesh had some excellent selections. I thought the bastilla was the best dessert I've ever had at WDW. If you want to see the menu, I think they have them, or links to them, right here on Intercot!

Yes, I did like dessert. That's true.

Mickey'sGirl
11-15-2011, 09:44 AM
That being said, I thought Marakesh had some excellent selections. The Lamb shank with couscous is fabulous. Really fabulous.

Janmac
11-15-2011, 10:31 AM
We do not have Moroccan restaurants in our area, and don't expect we're eating authentic food at Marrakesh. We have, in the past, enjoyed the experience. We have not felt crammed next to others or rushed to finish so our tables can be used for the next round of guests. And the restaurant is relatively quiet.

Jan

Kairi_7378
11-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks all for the candid feedback! I really respect the reviews that I read on this site.

(Snip) Laura, for the price of Marakesh at WDW, go to a nice dinner at El Fez in Center City!

Christine, it is funny that you mention this restaurant. I used to babysit for one of the dancers. I went there for a bachelorete a few years ago and was a little nervous that I'd run into her dancing! Luckily, it was her night off. :blush: (Not that there is anything wrong with dancing, but I think I would have been embarassed to watch her.)